don't click here

Why does everyone blame everything on SAMMY?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LightSpeedBlast, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LightSpeedBlast

LightSpeedBlast

Banned
    I don't get it. I don't see how they get in the way of the game making. They just own SEGA, big deal. So why does everyone blame stuff on them?

2. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I never understood/knew the story behind this whole SAMMY/SEGA thing. This is probably the perfect thread for me to find out though.

3. LightSpeedBlast

LightSpeedBlast

Banned
    After SEGA was lame enough to discontinue Dreamcast (BEST CONSOLE EVER) at the cost of good money, SEGA was near-bankrupt. So, they needed someone to buy them before everything eff'd up. SAMMY was the one to do all that and following that, Sonic Heroes (though it wasn't poorly-critically receiv'd at all), Shadow The Hedgehog, and Sonic Future came out. With those games, Sonic games seem'd to have drop'd in quality. But still, what does SAMMY have to do with all this?

4. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Well considering what you told me, probably nothing. Why would SAMMY want to control anything in house SEGA concerning the development of their games? Doesn't make sense why they would even bother ever.

5. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Interesting story, but what's Sonic Future? :psyduck:

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    This is the most confusing thread derailment I have seen.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Apparently Sammy bought most of Sega's stock and took over after Sega backed out of a merger (ironically due to the fear of being taken over), and they laid off some people who worked on software, while also merging together several Sega affiliates/parties/houses/etc. This happened during Sonic Heroes's development if memory serves correctly. I believe they also cut their funding. They wanted to put more resources into the arcade market. IMO, they did exactly the opposite of what they should've done. They should've realized the direction the arcade market was headed, and prepared for the home console market boom (I honestly feel we've been in one for a little while now).

It's also said that the company's new structure and direction is a major factor in Naka's departure from Sonic Team during production of Sonic '06. Sonic's own direction as a franchise probably comes from Naka's position in the company after the supposed "takeover". I think I remember him saying in an interview that as the years went by he'd spend less time on Sonic and more on other Sega games.

8. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    *insert random samantha clarfet joke here*

SAMMY makes pachinko machines, not arcade / console games.. this was thought to be a blunder on SEGA's part and a nightmare when the hostile takeover occurred.

9. LightSpeedBlast

LightSpeedBlast

Banned
    OK?

How should this get in the way of SEGA's game making? SEGA does their thing and SAMMY does their thing.

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Sammy restructured Sega, they changed the corporate culture so much that they drove away Tetsuya Mizuguchi. Judging by his reasons for leaving, the new culture was stifling creativity. They also began reorganizing Sega ever so often, ensuring that the teams would ever get any appreciable experience as teams.

11. LightSpeedBlast

LightSpeedBlast

Banned
    English plz. You seem to be typing about former SEGA employees outrage... but elaborate on how the restructuring was. kthxbi.

12. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    As far as I'm concerned, the anger was misplaced =P I don't think SAMMY is at all responsible in any way for Sega's monumental failure right now.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Suffice it to say that the takeover caused Sega to suffer heavy restructuring that they had trouble recovering from immediately. The fact that Sammy's Pachinko division has been losing money as well -- in fact I do believe it's the biggest source of losses -- led them to the brilliant conclusion that funding for the devteams that did video games needed to be cut.

Furthermore, the stories of how strange ideas on the part of the higher-ups have taken their toll on Sonic Team in particular now have a high level of infamy. Remember that blog that got taken down way back when by a Sega tester or whatever? Remember how it said that Nights: Journey was supposed to be a game for the 360/PS3 but halfway through (or maybe later) they had them scrap that in order to get the game on the Wii, since it was outselling the other two by a wide margin? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I'll certainly not claim that other companies better regarded for their game quality aren't interested in making money, but it's certainly a problem when corporate greed reaches levels such that they try to mess with devteams in that regard.

14. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I would've liked to see them finish their 360/PS3 NiGHTS and outsource the Wii version.

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I think it's Sonic '06 =P

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    It's the only game since 1996 in the Sonic series to feature such time travel, in any case. :psyduck:

17. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I don't, I blame Shadow ^_^

18. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Sammy, a company that did shitacular 2d light gun games in a 3D era completely devoted to hicks and people who get jollies playing every arcade game they can find, took over SEGA. Sammy is the shittiest arcade company ever. How can you not blame it on Sammy?

19. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    Don't know if it's already been said (the dumbfounded denial of the banned guy was making my eyes barrel roll), but before the hostile takeover - which I don't know why it wasn't called such at the time - Sega was also looking favorably in the direction of offers from Namco, were they not?

Aside from all the absurd structural musical chairs going on, there's also the delightful prospect that Sega-Sammy Holdings, in its' entire existance, hasn't posted a single overall profit. Maybe occasional minor ones, particularly from Sega here in the states, but the Mother Ship has been described as in the red for some years.

20. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Before Sammy SEGA was more than just a glorified publisher, and now it isn't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.