don't click here

Which game would you like to hack/play a hack of?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by stormislandgal, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Since this forum doesn't have a "general" hacking forum, I'll post this here.

Okay, I've been hacking sonic for a while now... And it's got a little boring. Don't get me wrong, but the way that Sonic games are hacked seems to get overly repetitive... New levels... new palettes... I'm itching for something more. The only thing is, I can't find a hacking scene as dedicated as the Sonic scene.

I want to see who else shares in my views, and try hacking something... different or new. I love Sonic hacks, but most of them just aren't striking anymore. Sure, technical hacks are outstanding(Project Chaos, Tohaka, Sonic 2 long version), but you rarely see those.

So, if you could have one game that you've always wanted to hack(on the Mega Drive please), but never bothered, what would it be? I want to branch off into a seperate hacking scene, and start off anew. There's nothing bad about Sonic hacking, except it gets repetitive.

So, a call out to all those hackers who don't have a current project, or to those who want to start hacking, respond please. If your a starting hacker, and don't know a shred of hex, I'd be more than willing to help you learn.

If an admin deams this as an unappropriate place for this topic, please move it to where it should be.

2. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    Gunstar Heroes and/or Rocket Knight Adventures. Good times.

ACMLM's isn't a half bad ROM hacking board, but it's an uber-shitty community.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Quack Shot? Ecco? ToeJam and Earl??

I would love to see anything done with those.

(I have added support for Quackshot already to Sonik Sprite, and a little bit of TJ&E support too)

4. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    I was going to try ECCO, but I accidentally downloaded the japanese version. I'm not sure if the dolphins say the same stuff as Sega CD's version though, but then again, I can't sya I remember that either...

I'll give these a shot tommorow, or whenever I can download them.

EDIT: This screenshot of Quackshot I'm looking at looks very nice. I think I'll try this out first.

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Dude, Ristar. Me and djbrayster already completely found and identified all the music, so =P

Plus, it uses a lot of Sonic related formats and algorithms, so I'm familiar with how to hack it. w00t.

6. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    Rocket Knight Adventures, and I wouldn't mind playing a Ristar hack either.

Toejam and Earl/TJ&E2 seem like good bets too.

7. SGR

SGR

Give me the gams. Member
    I'm in the process of hacking Gunstar Heroes, but I haven't got much down yet. The 8x8 tiles can't be found in the ROM, and strangely they aren't in Kosinski, Enigma, or Nemesis format. An odd occurance, but like I said, I'm still working on it.

8. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

Lemmings 2: The Tribes
    Gunstar Heroes
    Ristar
    Vectorman
    Golden Axe

9. cosbish69

cosbish69

Ecco... Ecco... Ecco...

Without a doubt. Toejam and Earl and Quackshot would definitely be cool too. And if I may suggest something else, I'd say Castle of Illusion, Boogerman, or one of the TAZ games.

10. Sakura Courage Solo

Sakura Courage Solo

I am a Woodpecker! Except in Dirt! Member
    Lava Reef Zone
    A Sprite-Based Dollmaker and a Card Game
    Ecco: The Tides of Time
    Ristar
    Earthworm Jim 2
    Judge Dredd (Let's face it, the layouts were major sporked up. )
    Jurassic Park:Rampage Edition
    Kolibri (Um, Kolibri is 32X, but 32X was a Megadrive peripheral, so it's like Megadrive, right?)
    Monopoly
    Micro Machines
    Pocahontas ( >.> WHAT?! Why're you looking at me like that?! )
    Bishoujou Senshi Sailor Moon ( <.< What, more wierd looks now?! )
    The Simpsons: Virtual Bart

And just to be saying, if I could edit one GBA game, it would be... Zoids:Legacy. n.n

11. Pegasus124

Pegasus124

If I had to choose one, Ristar would be an excellent choice, I'd definitely would like to see what can be done with the game, since I already played it and enjoyed it on the Sonic Mega Collection. ;)

But there's always other games to edit. ;)

12. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Spy vs. Spy(NES) that's the only game that comes to mind.

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ristar or any Streets of Rage game. =P Also, while not personal requests since I haven't played 'em, I'm sure a hack of either Dynamite Headdy or Gunstar Heroes would please quite a few if done well.

14. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    Wonder Boy 5 in Monster World III (expecially this one)
    Ristar
    World of Illusion
    Castle of Illusion
    Cosmic Carnage (32x... but...)

15. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Mega Drive only? Damn...

Okay, how 'bout Zero Wing?

16. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    Castle of Illusion or Quackshot, definately.
    I was always a great fan of those games, having originally rented the combo-cart.
    A hack of either would be extroadinarily interesting to me.

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Hell yeah, I add that to my list. =P I'd completely forgotten that game existed, what with having not played it in so long.

18. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

Megaman: The Wily Wars.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd say any of the SEGA in-house games such as Castle of Illusion, since they might share many formats and it might be possible to swap stuff between them.

I was also thinking how cool would it be to have Shinobi in a hack of Moonwalker, since he used to save children in the arcade.

20. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

Married life <3
    Well, ristar seems to be on the top of the list with the most votes, so I'll give that a try also.

I'd branch off into hacking other consoles, but I don't know jack shit about what kind of formats they use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.