don't click here

Which feature of Sonic Frontiers wouldn't you want to see in the next game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Gestalt, Oct 4, 2023.

Which feature of Sonic Frontiers wouldn't you want to see in the next game?

1. Cyloop ability

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Open-Zone platforming, Cyberspace levels

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Battle system, skill tree

25 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Level-up system

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  5. Ancients, Kocos

24 vote(s)
    43.6%
  6. Sage

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  7. Power Boost

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  8. Guardians

12 vote(s)
    21.8%
  9. Super Sonic boss fights

18 vote(s)
    32.7%
  10. Cyberspace missions

11 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I am absolutely aware there's all that stuff going on with the Koco, and I don't want to see more of it. I like how it's alluded to and mysterious, and if it gets further explored, that "liking" will then become "enough already I'm tired of this".

Of all the things Sonic Team should not learn from Archie Sonic or the writing in Frontiers, they definitely should not learn "actually we must overexplain everything". All the best stories of ancient civilisations work best when we just don't know in detail. Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky didn't need a sequel to go in detail on how the titular castle worked.

It's ok to just see ruins and have bits of info and go "so that's how it was" and move on, and I hope that's what happens here.

EDIT: Also, the plot is very much not unfinished? The actual plot is, "there was this ancient civilisation in another planet, that had magic gems. They got attacked by an evil god. They ran away to this planet, bringing the gems over, and attracted by an extra gem that was here. The god chased them and finished them, but they managed to trap it within their ruins. Millennia after, an evil scientist attempting to use the power of the remains of their civilisation gets trapped in their ruins too, inadvertently creating a new person that's the mix of his tech and the ancients; his enemies chase him to the islands, where they get captured and the evil god manipulates one of them into releasing it. The evil scientist, his new daughter, and his enemies then unite forces to undo what they've accidentally caused, and in doing so avenge this ancient civilisation."

Just because they added extra bits of flavour text, and left in the mystery of the Master Emerald, doesn't mean the plot's unfinished. All the actual story beats about Sonic's adventure and the Ancients' setup to it are introduced and resolved in the game

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Here's a pie chart, because the percentages above are weird:
    features.png

xD

3. I'd definitely prefer if they just drop the open zone stuff all together or significantly scale it down for whatever comes next, and focusmore on traditional Sonic levels that look and play nice. I'm not confident at all in Sonic team being able to build a massive open area and not cover it in random, out of place floating shit, even after the DLC.

Could definitely do without the combat either. Frontiers makes the best effort the series has ever made in trying to pull off for combat, but it still falls flat. Guardian fights were alright for the most part, but I can't see that working or making sense in any other game without Frontiers' context. More elaborate bosses and miniboss sequences like them would be great, but let the regular enemies die in one hit as they always should.

Cyloop I don't see returning mainly because it seems like something that only makes sense in Frontiers, unless the next game ends up being Frontiers 2

4. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I could see the Cyloop being turned into "Sonic Wind" or an equivalent not based around cyber-powers. I do agree with not wanting them to return to the "cyber-" aesthetic though.

5. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    If something has to go, it's combat. I did enjoy it here though, and it helped build up to the boss battles.

If something truly has to go, it's the strange and annoying pacing. I shouldn't have to spend hours in one "open zone" before I move on. Take a cue from 3D Mario and let me traverse several distinct looking levels at once. Shrink the damn zones too while they're at it, they dont need to be gigantic. I'd rather 8 smaller zones that look distinct from one another than 5 huge ones that reuse assets.

6. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Also the space in the open zones isn’t used particularly meaningfully. Ares probably comes off best, but a not insignificant amount of traversal time feels like dead air. I think a lot of good could come from the next game taking a direction more akin to the playgrounds of the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater series. While those games do have necessary amounts of flat terrain, the player can in theory always be doing some kind of trick or grind as they get from any given part of the park to another.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Come to think of it, there wasn't a single moment where I found myself not enjoying the combat. Nothing about this game bothered me, actually! That's incredible, but a Sonic game shouldn't be doing combat anyway

That was my first vote, then I switched to leveling when I remembered making abstract numbers go up is the gameplay loop that curdles every other system it touches for games in general. They wouldn't have implemented combat without it, but even if they did, I'd enjoy it more because there'd be less of it, and the moveset would've been tailored for situational utility instead of just incremental damage improvement. The level design would have to be less sprawling and more focused with your destinations having a 1:1 mapping to actual progression. No relying on collectathons for marginal number improvements as filler. Don't like Kocos? There wouldn't be any. It literally just solves every other problem

8. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    If this were in the poll, I would've picked it over all others.

Feeling the need to make maps as big as possible seems like the core problem with the game. The lack of visual variety is due to only having the time and resources to craft three islands. The non-existent level design seems to be so they can maximize scale with as little budget/resources as possible. The highly repetitive gameplay loop feels only present to justify why you spend so long on these maps. All of this I imagine just to justify the open world angle.

Making 7 to 9 smaller maps more akin to Odyssey could potentially fix most of this game's issues. That shouldn't be unreasonable if they're staffing up and increasing budget after this game.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
  9. EggKyodai

EggKyodai

Deep in Space and Time Member
    May not be on the list but for me every 2D section in the Open-Zone took the smile off my face. Coming right out of Ares island which made me fall in love with the game, Chaos Island really took away my joy. Upon getting there, and being constantly thrown into inescapable slow-paced 2D sections with basic platforming, I realized how bad the 2D sections were. They didn't bother me as much in the previous islands, but when replaying them after Chaos Island I noticed how much slower they were compared to the rest of the game. I honestly do not feel like there should be 2D sections at all in the Open-Zone, but with improvements to how much slower they feel and how often you can accidentally enter them, they could be good.

10. Sneekie

Sneekie

Sneasy Member
    They already took this to heart in the Final Horizon. Not a single 2D section.

11. EggKyodai

EggKyodai

Deep in Space and Time Member
    Unfortunately due to losing my computer, I haven't gotten a chance to try Final Horizon yet. Knowing this makes me so hopeful for the next mainline game as it was seriously the absolute worst aspect of Frontiers for me, that is stellar news!