don't click here

Where did the chao's design come from?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ashthedragon, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I was wondering.... We all know that the Chao from Sonic Adventure idea came from the Artificial IA from Nights: into dreams but...where did the physical design of the Chao came from?

I remember seeing back in the internet a lot of time ago about a very old and obscure japanese SEGA game, probably for SG-1000 or early Master System, who featured some characters who looked exactly like chao, but red. I remember seeing it in GHZ..but that site is now offline and I'm not 100% sure that it was there.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is there such a game?

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Er.... http://www.theghz.com/ ??

[​IMG]

3. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Whoa, that is! GHZ didn't work for me yesterday...it even throw virus to me. But thank you Cooljerk!

4. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I thought this was fairly common knowledge actually! Yeah, a nice bit of trvia for you ;)

The design comes from Sanrin Sanchan. Chao bear a striking resemblance to the character of Sanrin Sanchan in that same game- a 1984 coin-op on Sega System 1 hardware.

They probably thought no one would notice as Sanrin Sanchan isn't exactly a household name but it's also more than likely just a cheeky reference to the old game.

5. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Christ, that thing looks terrifying.