don't click here

Where can I learn about FM?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Aerosol, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I've been playing around with VGM MM, making a couple of songs with instruments ripped from other games. But if you want something done right you have to do it yourself...or in my case, if I want it to sound right.

So I messed around with the instrument editor some more, changing single parameters at a time and noting what changes. But that isn't enough, I need to know why these changes are taking place to get a better understanding so as to make instruments sound exactly as I want them to. Especially since the last change I made created an odd new effect that I have NO explanation for.

Anyone know where I can find out more about FM synthesis with the YM2612 in mind? Or even just FM synthesis with 4 or more operators?

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    How to Make a Noise? The same guy apparently has an entire book dedicated to FM synthesis, but that one isn't free and I can't find it anywhere. It'll explain the theory behind it, but I think the general consensus is that experience is the only way to really anticipate the sounds you're going to get. It'll help to familiarize yourself with subtractive synthesis first since it's much more straightforward and some of the core concepts carry over.

3. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    http://gendev.spritesmind.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=928 I asked this question too a while ago; hope these answers help. And yeah, you'll need to play around yourself as well. I for one need to...