don't click here

What's the common street value of a Sonic the Fighters PCB?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Cooljerk, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Basically the topic title. A person wants to sell me a Sonic the Fighters PCB and I'm not sure if I'd be overpaying or not. I bought a VF2 cab years ago (sadly since sold) complete for $300, but VF2 is pretty common, while Sonic the Fighters is not. Dude wants $400 for the Model 2 Mainboard + the Sonic the Fighters ROM board. Anybody with experience in this field - is that too much?

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Welp, apparently $400 was indeed too much because I just bought it for $150!

I now officially own every single sonic game period, outside of niche ride games like Waku Waku Sonic Patrol.

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Wow! Congratulations! That's brilliant- you've answered your own question, but damn. Be sure to get us a whole lot of photos of this one.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Well don't congratulate me yet, because even when it arrives I won't be able to play it yet. When I owned my VF2 cab, I didn't quite understand all the intricacies of an arcade unit, so I didn't realize that it uses a special monitor which isn't jamma compatible. In fact, the model 2 as a whole isn't jamma compatible. Connecting controllers and shit is no problem, it's outputting video - Model 2 outputs to a medium resolution monitor instead of a normal resolution monitor (jamma) or HD monitor (pretty much everything modern). I have a MAS Supernova which is what I intend to play my games with, but it's useless for this. I have to basically build this it's own special supergun.

Outputting the video is going to be very, very expensive. Model 2 boards output a 22 hz image, which absolutely nothing accepts. I've read that a very specific TV - the NEC Multisync 3d (that's a model number, not 3D as in stereoscopic vision) will accept the image, but those were exceedingly rare back in 2005, let alone today.

I think I can use a video converter from jammaboards.com - there is one which claims it'll support any range image from 10 khz to 60 khz, and it'll output it via VGA at a normal frequency and resolution. However the converter is almost $400 itself. I don't want to drop that kind of money until I'm 100% sure it'll work.

5. $150 seems pretty cheap for Sonic the Fighters, considering how rare it is. I've seen common PCBs go for that much on eBay.

Either way, I'm at least slightly envious. Does that sucker run on your MAS Supernova?

(EDIT; Note to self; read whole thread before asking questions.

Well, please post pics when it does play.)

6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Out of Curiosity, it is definitely Sonic The Fighters, right? Not the same but differently titled Sonic Championship!?

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Yes, it's the JPN version.

EDIT: Sonic Championship would actually be a much rarer find.

8. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Now you're making me wonder how in the world they keep the one in Gameworks in Vegas still working. It has to be around 14 years old if not older...

I would definitely suggest searching around on the 22 Hz issue. There's a bunch of converters for video out there. Most are just for interlaced -> progressive VGA but it seems like a fairly simple conversion—maybe it's just an overpriced part because it does such a wide range and is explicitly marketed for arcade stuff. Either that or maybe fish around for weird display devices which aren't explicitly marketed at your segment—some old junk off of eBay might be able to do it if you could find specs...