don't click here

What websites did you use to learn asm?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by .hack//zero, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    Just like the topic says. I've been looking for good sites myself, but I want to know where you guys went to learn asm. yes, local H, I'm taking your advice too.

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I learnt ASM through a combination of hacking cult and just working my way through the Sonic 2 and Sonic 1 disassemblies slowly, trying to figure out things for myself. I still don't know what everything is, but I use http://68k.hax.com/ for reference if I ever forget or get stuck.

3. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Hacking-cult =P

I don't know too much but I know enough to do what I want...

4. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    I didn't really use a website, but I learnt what I know off other people. Some people seem to learn better with someone explaining things to them rather than reading plain text. Sonic Hachelle-Bee started me off, then I learnt a lot just by studying a disassembly. Finally, Ultima taught me how to use a few of the more complicated instructions. Maybe you should find some knowledgable people with time to help you who can help you learn. You might find it easier than reading a guide.

5. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Motorola M68000 Programmer's Reference Manual. It's all you'll ever need.

6. .hack//zero

.hack//zero

Working on a vulkan game engine for fun. Learning Ray-Tracing.
    Anyone know if the guy that made this website ever finished this guide. I've really had the most luck understanding this one.

7. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I haven't seen Lewis in a while. Devega was down for the longest time, then it came back up but the forums had vanished. Sucks, too, as I was a regular there (and could also post news).

8. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    I learned it by tweaking stuff.

9. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I used MoD's ASM tutorial, and a text file with a list of all the instructions. It also helps to stare at a disassembly for many, many hours.

10. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    First I read DRX's guide in Hacking-Cult. Then I've noticed he makes a lot of mistakes (specially he forgots to reenable the interrupts by putting "move.w #$2300, sr") and started to check the real things by myself.

By the way, a tutorial is always better when you start, and a reference when you learned the basics.

11. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
  12. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    *I* make mistakes? :P

You can only use 'move #$2300,sr', without the size suffix (it's always a word-long write). Besides, the 'mistake' you pointed out is not really a mistake, since I do *not* always use interrupts, you know.

Btw, my guides really need a major rewrite, they were written over 3 years ago =P

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    drx, have you taken your guide down? I don't see it.

14. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  15. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    x_x

That's what I get when I post while half asleep. Thanks.

16. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Believe me, I had to do a lot of things from scratch because some of your routines had something wrong. And I suggest to check your initialization routine, it's pretty obvious you took it from somewhere else :P In fact, the first thing you clear you put "clear some VDP stuff". It's the VSRAM. Etc.

By the way, I put move.w to sr because of custom, nothing more. It gives the same result, right?

17. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    ASM-to-Hex code reference. Now I understand this website now and it's realy helpful.

Sorry for bumping! :)

18. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    It would be a good idea to put a list of places to visit for learning ASM as pinned.

19. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Like I said, my guide was written in 2003, when most of the code there were no nifty disassemblies around, and my Megadrive knowledge wasn't that complex. Remember, at that time, the only thing I had was 68kd and long hours of analysing code =P Most of the things I put in my 68k guide was 'cracked' by me, hence some holes in the whole thing.

And no, I didn't get it from 'somewhere else'. That's a lame attempt.

20. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I've got this old textbook on M68K programming that I need to finish reading some day =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.