What was your FIRST impression of Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Jayextee, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NemUK

NemUK

Probably lurkin'. Member
    Would that "Fake Tetris" game be Columns by any chance? That was an epic game!

2. OverKlockD

OverKlockD

1 - What was the first Sonic game you played?
    Sonic 3

2 - How did you find out about it?
    I bought a used megadrive (my first console) for $10 at a flea market in 1997 (I was 8 at the time) and rented it a few weeks later then bought it used for $5

3 - What was your initial reaction to it?
    great graphics (I didnt even know playstation existed) and the speed added a great element. Oh and it was friggin difficult (carnival night barrel jump anyone).

3. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    YES. I know exactly what you're talking about. The worst part is that the game did an automatic reset whenever I tried to get past it with debug mode. I HATE THAT PART.

Sonic the Hedgehog for Genesis.

I'd had my Genesis for five years, along with Road Rash II, Toejam and Earl 2, and (I think) Mario Andretti Racing by now, so as you can see, I took a liking to speed-based gameplay. Then, when my stepbrother came to visit one week, he just took out his original copy of Sonic, then said "Here, it's too hard." And then came my total obsession with a running blue hedgehog.

Total obsession, as I said before. Everything in my life from then on had something to do with Sonic. I never even got another game system (a PS1) until a year or so before the PS2 came out. As you can see, I'm still obsessed with Sonic, though.

4. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Okay, so first impressions, rather apt for a first post I think
    Well it was some 13 years ago, I was staying some relatives of my foster parents as I had just been in a car accident while in the area. I was feeling pretty low, so the two girls there set up their megadrive II and let me have a go. They put in Sonic 2, and let me play vs. Emerald Hill Zone with them. I loved it and was instantly cheered up, the music, and colours blew me away. What I loved the most though, for some reason, was the fact that Sonics legs went in neat lil' circles, I thought it fantastic, and wondered if I'd be able to do the same, all to no avail, natuarally.

5. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Sonic The Hedgehog (Megadrive)

My older brother had played a lot of it at his friend's house, and borrowed some of his copies of "Sega Power" magazine to show me, so we'd agree that we both wanted one, and our parents would get us a Megadrive.

Really positive. I really loved Taito's platformers on the Atari ST, like The New Zealand Story and Rainbow Islands, and Sonic looked similar, but far better. The gameplay was also very easy for my young mind to grasp (just one button and the D-pad). The whole Sonic fad was huge when I was a kid, so being so familiar with the character gained me a lot of friends when I was young. We used to pretend to be characters from the game in the playground, fighting invisible badniks. Sonic was a huge part of my childhood, and when I went back to the early games, as a teenager, I could appreciate more about the games. I fell in love with the games again, for the level design, control and music. I've been playing the games ever since.

6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

O'Doyle rules! Member
    GA
    Sonic The Hedgehog (Genesis/Megadrive)

My dad owned a pharmacy at that point in time, and would buy candy and drinks in bulk at Sams club for his store. I went one time and they had a Genesis with Sonic on display. I was 5 I think.

I ate that shit up, mostly because I couldn't have it for more than those few minutes (though the colorful graphics, sense of speed, and simple controls helped). Anytime we went to a store like Wal*Mart, Sams, Toys 'R' Us, etc., I'd have to run to the electronics department to see if Sonic was there. I remember one time we were in some store (I think it was Sears) and the d-pad wasn't working on the controller (the down button was fucked up, so I couldn't roll), and I was pissed. I became such a big fan because I couldn't play it all the time like I could Mario. We had an NES and an SNES (as well as a Gameboy I think), but my parents were all like "we're not getting you another one, deal with it". I spent the next several years getting my fix at friends' houses until I finally got a Nomad with all the Sonic games (and Comix Zone and Vectorman) in '96. Happiest fucking Christmas of my life. I even got an RF switch, so I could play the thing on my TV.

7. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    Sonic 2 (Mega Drive)

My nana bought one to keep at her house for stop over. Came with S2. Late 1990's.

Fast-paced hedgehog.

I sold it in 2003 for a Dreamcast (idiot). Bought another (acquired most of the games again) last year.

I liked S2, bought S1 and prefered that. Complete reversal now.

8. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    That was Mega Games 1 and 2.

MG1 came with Super Hang-On, a motorbike racing game, World Cup Italia '90, a football (soccer for you Yanks) game and Columns, that fake Tetris.

MG2 contained The Revenge of Shinobi, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe.

I know, because I've got them.

9. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Ah mega games 1... How fun that was.. Even though my mum used to kick me off my megadrive to play columns

10. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    You know that always happened to me. "Piss off, I'm playing Columns"

Sonic 1 (MegaDrive)

Well, one special occasion (one of my early birthdays/christmas'), when I was somewhere between 2 and 4, My dad set down a Megadrive infront of me, plugged it in, and put in the sonic 1 cart.

Oh my god, pure amazement. One of the best thing's I'd experienced so far in my life. THE MUSIC, one of the many amazing things. I quickly became addicted, and collected the entire series from there-on. Only game I haven't played is STH06
    Ah, good times. I'm still just as much in love with Sonic now, as I was back then. I wear sonic T-shirts everyday of the week (I have shitloads), and a Sonic Beanie hat. I listen to remixed sonic music on the iPod, while taking a walk. I mention Sonic to my mates all the time, still. I literally don't go a day without doing something Sonic =P
    I'm obsessed, and proud of it.

11. SephyUK

SephyUK

WHY SO CURIOUS? Member
    Qatar
    Some Freakishly Long Anime
    Don't. And I'll tell you why.

Imagine you getting a knife, and stabbing yourself in the balls repeatedly. Then, once done, remove your balls with the knife, and rub the wound in tabasco sauce. Then, take the balls, bash them with a hammer, and then cover them in tabasco sause and use a rusty nail, and a nail gun, to reattatch them.

That is what it feels like to play STH06. It totally got raped.

12. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Still, it's gotta be better than SATSR =P

13. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Misfit
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    While its not 100% I still consider it far better than Sonic Heroes.

14. Chimpo

Chimpo

Atomic Sonic Part II
    SATSR looks like an epic masterpiece compared to 06

15. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

stubborn and sparkly Oldbie
    hell (chicago (same difference))
    photography, graphic design, being gay
    Sonic The Hedgehog, via Sega Smash Pack on Dreamcast.

I... bought a Dreamcast. All I had was Smash Pack, Dreamcast Browser/Sega Swirl (which I love to this day), and Sonic Adventure, so...

HOLY SHIT AWESOME. It was probably my second fan-obsession after Pokémon for a looong time, and I still keep the Genesis and GBA games with me via my R4, jEnesisDS, and my EZ Flash V Expansion Pack.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg

Actually, they're both dire controls. Which I hate more alters depending on which I last played.

17. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva

Sonic the Hedgehog 1

I watched a friend play it at his house. Not sure I remember his name, but he was definitely hogging the controller. I didn't mind back then though.

It looked really nice and I really liked the music. It wasn't a life changing experience or anything, and I didn't really get to appreciate it until I got my own Genesis, which didn't happen for a while (I think it was the Christmas after Star Fox was released. I wanted a SNES and my parents got me a Genesis. Good call, IMO.) If nothing else I remember really liking the soundtrack.

18. peanutbuttercake

peanutbuttercake

A few Krabbys short of a Kingler Member

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

It came with a used Genesis we had bought along with a bunch of other games.

I was about 3 years old and had no clue what I was doing,so my dad played most of it for me, though he wasn't much better at it than I was. It wasn't until I was about 5 that I really got into it. Sonic became my childhood role model; he was the coolest thing I could think of. We got Sonic 1, Sonic and Knuckles, and Sonic 3D Blast after that, which I treasured. I had to stay up until 9:30 to watch AoStH, and I had to watch the movie back to back. In fact, I have a videotape lying around somewhere of 7 year old me singing along to the ending theme of that movie... Ah, good times, good times. ;)

19. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the Genesis

When my big brother won it and for the first time I turned on a Genesis (With the S2 cartdige obviously)

3 - What was your inital reaction to it?

I loved the game, that was the first game I really played to the end, I could play it the whole day and I would OFTEN reset the Genesis just because I got frustated, but that never stopped me from trying again, and also it was the first time I got scared from a music, I will never forget the first time I heard the drowning music in CPZ...
    I played a lot the game, eventually getting Super Sonic, but as most good things in the life, this one was bound to an end.... The Sega Genesis just.... died........ :colbert: ... I never played sonic games again until I found out about emulation, about a year later... This game got me onto gaming, and this game got me onto the Sonic franchise, and this game got me onto one of the things I have enjoyed and probably will always enjoy in my life, no matter what crappy game Sega releases (Altough, I have never played ShTH and Sonic Next-gen)

20. 1 - What was the first Sonic game you played?
    Sonic 1 - Mega Drive

Christmas present with Mega Drive and a couple of other games.

Wow. I'd never played video games ever before this point. It amazed me from the very beginning. That famous title theme will forever be etched in my brain. I feel embarrassed for never getting past Green Hill Zone Act 2 though at first ^^;. So yeah, Sonic fan ever since :colbert:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.