don't click here

What hazard do you hate the most in Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Volpino, Apr 23, 2010.

Which hazard do you hate the most in Sonic games?

1. Badniks/enemies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Spikes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lava

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hazardous obstacles (Crushing blocks, tredmills leading into spikes, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bosses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bottomless pits

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Water

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Try playing the Advanced games. You'll see what we mean about Advanced 2's bottomless pit barrage... :rolleyes:

2. Shadix

Shadix

Oldbie
    [/thread]

On gamegear at least. Sonic 2 GG was the only Sonic game I played as a kid where it was a miracle to make it past the first stage. I knew where every single secret free life box was in Underground zone just so I'd have enough to beat the boss.

That said as far this thread goes I find Water much more annoying than death pits. (I actually don't really mind death pits unless its Sonic Advance 2 where you already don't have control over your player as it is. It creates tension in platform section.)

3. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    It's Sonic Advance. No D. :colbert:

Also, I'm with the barrel. The first time I beat the game, I glitched though the barrel. Otherwise, the game gear Sonic 2 antlion's bouncing balls.

Don't really hate them though. The barrel's pretty slick in execution now that I know how to do it. And the Game Gear Sonic 2 isn't so bad now IMO.

4. Leverworst

Leverworst

[​IMG]
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

yeah everybody knows already, but still. I FUCKING HATE the badniks from Metropolis Zone. They are ALWAYS positioned in the worst place: Slicers where you have to jump from a nut, Shellcrakers where you can't jump over them and Asterons in narrow corridors where you can't avoid them. I still can't get over that, and along with some instant-death parts, Metropolis Zone really deserves to be the hardest level of Sonic 2.

5. This is the sole reason I stopped playing Sonic 2 for nearly a year, when I was younger. Lmfao.

6. Volpino

Volpino

I just ran through that level. When I found out it had 3 acts, then I tossed the GC controller.

The first time I played Sonic 2 was when I was 11 on SMC. I'd already been playing Sonic 3 for 3 years. Compared to that pain in the ass Sandopolis Act 2 of S@K, Metropolis is like Marble Garden; just keep moving and you'll be fine.

Marble Garden was cooler though. :v:

7. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Ahahah, how could anyone who's played any of the new games pick anything but 'bottomless pits'? XD

8. Volpino

Volpino

Truth.

*glares hatefully at SA2* You and our stupid "SAWNIK ONLY UNLOCK OTHER CHARS!!!!1" rule caused me many deaths in that canyon level. :colbert:

9. quartzlcc

quartzlcc

test-object's worst nightmare. Member
    California
    lrning2hack
    Hazardous objects tend to be extremely deadly, but bottomless pits take the cake as they are and always will be annoying. It's one of the things that stops the modern Sonic games from being as fun as the old school games.

Exactly. And s'up Lostgame, long time no see, although I'd be surprised if you remembered me. Probably only Robjoe does.

10. Volpino

Volpino

Well not bottomless pits has over 100 votes...

I wonder if anything would change if I put "Sonic 2 GG" as an option. :specialed:

11. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    I voted Hazardous objects - Namely the CNZ barrel and everything sharp and pointy in MGZ.

I could never figure out the barrel when I was younger. I remember thinking at one point that the stationary ones would eventually start moving :(

And then, 4 years later, I finally figure out how that fucker worked. I hated myself for not trying the up and down buttons earlier :v:

Marble Garden is full of spikes. First time I played S3K I got to MGZ with 7 lives or so and ended the boss with 2. :v:

12. Shadic

Shadic

Olympia, WA
    Home improvement eternal
    In the 3D games, I think the worst hazard is the camera. :(

13. serpx

serpx

Or the entire game of Sonic 06.

Bottomless pits are a staple to platformers, sure, but I think the Sonic games could do just fine without them. Sure, we wouldn't have levels like Wing Fortress Zone from Sonic 2 ... but you know what? Fuck Wing Fortress Zone. That level pissed me off to no-end when I was a child.

14. Volpino

Volpino

I think they would be fine in the sky levels.

Wing Fortress pissed me off too, but only because second player was shafted and that stupid laser! :argh:

Edit; By 'stupid laser' I mean the actual boss where you have to jump on spiked platformes, not the one that shoots down the Tornado Tails is too retarded to let go of.

15. quartzlcc

quartzlcc

California
    lrning2hack
    I agree. Except with the Wing Fortress part. I used to be good at Wing Fortress, now whenever I play it I fuck it up continually, LOL.

Sonic '06 had bottomless pits EVERYWHERE, a lot of glitches, and terrible load times.

16. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Sonic's faster pace of gameplay works better when bottomless pits are kept to a minumum, yes, but in 3D they tend to be used to cover the areas that exist outside of a level's bounds. Not just in Sonic—it was done in Mario 64, too, and it happens in pretty much any platforming stage that isn't surrounded by walls of some kind.

But I digress. The only time a bottomless pit irritates me is when it kills me unfairly. Wing Fortess is not such a case, as you have a fair shot at all the platforming. The only irritating thing for me is that stupid booster pad that only boosts you forward properly when you let go of the d-pad—something you don't know until it actually kills you because you didn't.

17. quartzlcc

quartzlcc

California
    lrning2hack
    There was a lot of that sort of thing in Sonic '06.

18. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    I know it seems cliché to say bottomless pits, but I know I have my reason so here it is...

They make me suck.

Something about the pressure of the bottomless pit makes me play like garbage. If lava's below me, I still play pretty damn well. Any obstacle below me won't make me feel under the same amount of pressure, but tell me if I fall I'm gonna die, I usually manage to push a button on accidentally or time things completely wrong because I sometimes get nervous about it. Unless I have a massive abundance of lives... which I tend to do.

19. Volpino

Volpino

Obviously it's needed there, but to be honest, these levels are usually surrounded by walls you can't climb, lava or water that you either drown in or encounter some deadly orange fish that eats you. (I named him Fluffy, he's so adorable~)

Or some games just make it so you can't swim in water forever (Okami, Zelda Wind Waker) and drown you before you reach the boundary.

Mario 64's case was cheap. That lava level was one square, and you couldn't see the pit beyond it. :colbert: It's not really cheap in an unfair way, it's just the layout looks very budget-friendly, if you catch my meaning. Iff not, then I'll just say it: They half assed it.

20. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    No, that's a different case—poor control. I mean in Wing Fortress, there's this booster thing that's supposed to shoot you across a pit, but if you're still holding forward, it sputters out and shoots you forward a grand total of two inches, dropping you in to the pit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.