don't click here

What hazard do you hate the most in Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Volpino, Apr 23, 2010.

Which hazard do you hate the most in Sonic games?

1. Badniks/enemies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Spikes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lava

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Hazardous obstacles (Crushing blocks, tredmills leading into spikes, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bosses

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Bottomless pits

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Water

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

For me, it has to be bottomless pits, or pits that aren't, but are impossible to escape from. Two examples being the whole of Sky Canyon, especially when you're upside down on the track, and you end up coming off upside down, only to hit spikes near the edge, and fall in, and that pit in Mystic cave Zone used to get me a lot. Y'know, the one with the lever and the bridge which if you didn't notice at high speed, you'd notice falling down into the inescapable pit lined with spikes? Being Super Sonic there was the worst.

Falling or disappearing platforms are always a pain too, especially in those later levels, like Scrap Brain Zone and Chaos Angel. :argh:

On a random note, I never understood how anyone got stuck on that Carnival Night barrel, because jumping didn't work for me after a minute, so I just tried other button combinations with the D-pad. There are all sorts of awesome players out there who just couldn't get past that one obstacle. I wonder if Sonic Team knew that people would find it difficult?

2. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I only found out how to get past them a few years ago. v.v

How could I have sucked so bad?!

EVILLLLLLLLLL.

3. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    The barrel is so evil, it held me up for thirty whole seconds.

4. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    This was a very difficult choice to make for me.

Spikes, Badniks and Bottomless Pits are all crucial elements in a Sonic level, so I can't exactly fault them (They're also key in Mega Man games, go figure). In most games I like going in water since it's beneficial, though in the Sonic series it's a challenge if I'm treading through a level I don't know very well.

I can't fault the bosses in Sonic games actually. The crab boss in Sonic 2 is easy, if you've got quick motor skills. They're supposed to be challenging and frustrating, not easy as hell. Then again, most bosses in Sonic games are exactly that. :( (The only big challenge I've had recently is fucking Toxic Seahorse with the Buster alone in Mega Man X3)

Hazardous Objects, however, will to no end frustrate me, in any game series. Especially the crushers in Scrap Brain Zone—they move too fast that I always avoid that section.

Thus I voted for that.

5. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Its amazing how quickly we degenerated to "I couldent figure out the barrel" lol

That particular one isnt a hazard though, the ones that move up, down, left, right in a scriped way are the ones that kill you, by crushing. (unless you count death from waiting 10 mins and wasting all your lives and continues)

Here here!

6. Skaarg

Skaarg

I'm stuck between two hazards that I hate the most.

The bombs in Sonic 1 really are annoying as someone already mentioned for them being indestructible and they have a wide attack which is made much worse because there are typically multiple in a row.

The other hazard I hated the most in Sonic 1 would be the spikes that come out of the ground during the Labyrinth Zone Boss. It took me many years to be able to get past that.

Also fuck the barrel.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Bottomless pits usually break the whole formula unless they are the only thing you have to deal with in a given area. Basically, given how Sonic responds to inputs, they are essentially "unfair".

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    The only time they're unfair is when the level launches you into one before you have time to react. Like that one time in Star Light Zone. ^_^

9. Classik

Classik

SEGATA SANSHIRO Member
    Kentucky, USA
    ACT SIXTEEN STUDIOS
    UN-Bottomless pits. That FUCKING hole in Mystic Cave Zone that is filled with spikes can burn in hell.

10. Bottomless pits. Especially in Sonic's later levels in Sonic Adventure 2. It wasn't so bad in the Genesis games, but those levels in SA2 left negative room for error.

11. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Marble Garden Zone spike-crushers.

Goddamnit.

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    You know, intimidating though they may be, I honestly can't remember the last time I actually got crushed by one.

13. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Bottomless pits, when they aren't used correctly. Although, Orbinauts nearly made me vote Badniks. Why? In some hacks, difficulty is apparantly having a fast section in Star Light Zone with a single Orbinaut right in the way and you can't see it till it's taken all your rings. You make something fast to go fast, not to punish the player.

14. I hate things that will kill me without even giving me a chance, so it's bottomless pits and crushing blocks, because those will always kill you, even when you have rings. I don't like water much either, but I have learned to live with it (after all it gives you a chance, with the bubbles and the countdown).

15. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Thinking of Eternal Engine?

I'm tempted to make a second poll about what people hate more: The spikes of death in Mystic Cave or the Barrel of Unholy hold-ups in Carnival Night.

Maybe add in Sonic Advance 2's cheap death canyon.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness

Seconding these two. The barrel is easily passable when you know to use up and down. These two - no simple explanation makes either any easier. *shudders*

17. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    The first screenshot's boss is easy once you know what to do:
    • Hold back until the arm comes around once, then hit the laser; as that laser comes up jump twice while holding back
    • Once the laser is gone, hold back until the arm shoots before Robotnik comes back up and then run and hit him; hold back if the arm looks like it'll rotate itself (which is when it's the most dangerous)
    I can beat the boss no problem now.

The second screenshot is from the SMS version. You probably mean the Game Gear version, where it is nearly impossible because they decided to just crop the screen.

18. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Bottomless Pit/Hazardous obstacles = The Mystic Cave Trap
    I do have to go with just Hazardous Obstacles though... Single-hit death because of crushing thingy is a deed of evil and annoying.

19. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    You gotta hate the badniks, especially these fuckers:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Better yet, the swinging spiked balls of fuck-you-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.