don't click here

What exactly is this cable?

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by OKei, Sep 4, 2009.

1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    A while ago, I bought a "complete" 32X, and this part came with it. Its got five prongs on it, and it doesn't connect to my Genesis or 32X. What exactly is it, and what's it used for? Is it worth anything? I'm planning on selling it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It's a very short MIDI cable, probably used to connect stacked MIDI devices together.

3. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    So its not for the Sega Genesis, but for something entirely different?

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    That's not the Model 1 32X adapter, then? Weird.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    ^ The male part that goes into the Model 1 is much bigger, since it supposed to be plugged in the A/V out port. My guess is the person you bought it off accidentally left a cable in the packaging.

6. However, it could also be an older standard audio cable, I think.

7. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    Isn't that the part that connects the Genesis to the 32X to allow it to display certain graphics? I've never owned or used a 32X myself, but I recall the AVGN demonstrating Primal Rage while forgetting to connect a cable that linked them and some graphics not being displayed as a result (while some other graphics were being displayed properly), and then correcting the problem using a short cable to connect the 32X to the main console, which looked like that.

My bad if that's what muteKi and Ravenfreak were talking about.

8. Flygon

Flygon

While it looks like it, it isn't the correct sort of cable for that purpose.

You know the sort of plug a model 2 has on the back of it? The 32x uses the exact same plug for its video input, and I can guarantee the plug won't fit into it.

You're on the right track though.

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties

It's a MIDI cable. Seriously. It's not related to the Genesis at all.

10. Skaarg

Skaarg

Isn't it the cable that connects the 32X and the Genesis???
    + - because ignoring people is fun!  
    So did the 32X you bought even come with the correct cable to connect the 32X and the Genesis?

11. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    No. I had to buy a third party separately for $15. :(

12. It's clearly the equivalent of a genesis double sided dildo, so that lesbian megadrives could have sex too.

13. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Can we give Trunks an award or something for this?

Off the Internet or in a store?

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Post what the actual 32X cable looks like, Gerbil. That'll stop the questioning and be an education in itself =P

15. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    It looks to me like a double-ended video plug for a model 1 Genesis. As in, one end of that would certainly fit in the model 1's video-out, but I've no idea why you'd need that. The 32X's video-in is shaped like the model 2's. In fact, I have a converter cable to hook up a model 1 Genesis to a 32X. Has the same as your's on one end, and a model 2-style video port on the other.

I guess you could daisy-chain model 1s together for no reason?

16. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    :psyduck:

Why does no one here bother to read any of the posts before replying with nonsense?

Also, I'll take a photo of my MD1->MD2 and MD2->32X cables sometime tonight or tomorrow to clarify things. (I'll upload them to the wiki, too. :) )

17. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    [​IMG]

NUFF SAID

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah, picture confirms that plug is most certainly not a conversion cable (compare it to the original picture and you can see some distinct difference in the shape of the cable itself).

I made the guess myself since I couldn't see what the prongs themselves looked like too well from that picture, but you'll notice the connector cable that he got has prongs that fan out from the center; not only is the standard 32X cable longer it is basically just a 9-pin DIN cable.

19. ddrmaxromance

ddrmaxromance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DIN-5_Diagram.svg

Yup, I use those cables all the time for recording music. That's happened to me before where I was given a PowerBook 180 package and also random 5ΒΌ floppies for an HP Printer. O_o Since when did ANY PowerBook use those kinda floppies. lol.

20. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    This is either short MIDI cable, or short European HiFi audio cable.