What brought you to Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by chicago2003, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gibbo

Gibbo

Eggman, Deserving a Game since 1991. Member
    Ellesmere Port, UK
    Learning how to use Game Maker
    I must have been 2 or 3 when I first played Sonic 1 with my Big Bro Helping me although I don't really have any memories of it. My first memory of playing a game was V-Rally at X-mas XD.

2. mr choco

mr choco

Pending Member
    this is pretty long and I don't use punctuation I might also spell things wrong so all you smartasses don't poke fun at me

it was my fourth birthday and I can remember my friend who lives on my corner received a master system with sonic 1 it was the first time I ever played a video game and the first time I experienced sonic we used to sit on our little fat asses and play it for hours on end until it came upto my fifth birthday by then it was obvius what I wanted because I kept asking my mum and instead of getting me the master system like I asked for I received a megadrive with sonic 1 it was the first console and game I owned and I couldnt get enough of it eventualy I got a little bored of sonic 1 until I heard about sonic 2 my friend on my corner said it wasn't good but I can remember when my brother was in hospital for a broken leg they had it there and boy was he wrong I played it for hours and my parents struggled getting me to leave the hospital the thing I really liked was the new 2 player feature I was playing with my sister for hours and so shortly after that my parents bought me sonic 2 by that time I was watching the cartoon reading the comics (I still have loads somewhere) I was hooked and then sonic 3 came out I saw the advert for it and it looked kickass (I cant remember the advert much) and I was asking my parents for it so much I think they must have started getting annoyed later that year for my birthday I received sonic 3 and that got me more hooked I had allsorts of sonic merchandise a sonic game watch sonic slippers sonic t shirt sonic duvet set sonic socks sonic candy sonic cups it was pretty crazy I was sonic crazy then I received sonic and knuckles and it made my collection complete I didnt get bored for years to come but then my life moved on and I didnt get much games or anything until I remember the nintendo 64 coming out and I got super mario 64 come with mine it was a great game but I got bored after completing the nintendo 64 was nothing like sonic I guese and I went of that for a little while until my friend got a playstation and I moved onto that because it had better graphics and I loved metal gear solid I got bored of my playstation in 2003 after then I wasn't really interested in gaming until I can remember I had some birthday money left over and I was looking around a second hand shop and I saw a dreamcast and I saw it with sonic adventure and my childhood memories come back in a flash and the next thing I knew I was at home plugging in my new dreamcast and I popped sonic adventure in the new graphics and stuff were a bit new to me but I got the hang of the controller and stuff then I can remember watching the introduction video when tails crashes his plane on the beach then the leval starts when the leval started I was amazed at the graphics the sun shining nice looking water palm treas and everything even footsteps in the sand I also liked the music to I was hooked on the game for years then I can remember saving up and buying sonic adventure 2 I was hoping it would have the cool adventure feilds and stuff you had to do in the adventure feilds it made the game a bit more challenging and I liked the rpg feature to but to my disapointment sonic adventure 2 was nothing like sonic adventure and I didnt play sonic adventure 2 I stuck to sonic adventure 1 I don't like any games after sonic adventure 1 then I can remember coming across sonic cult and hearing rumours of a new sonic game ? (sonic heroes) I wasn't really interested in buying a ps2 xbox or gamecube then I remember it getting released and everything and it looked pretty good but I still didnt buy it then I remember my sonic adventure 1 disc got damaged for my dreamcast but this was at the time sonic adventure dx for pc was released so I was lucky I just bought it for pc instead I still prefer the dreamcast version though but I cant seam to find it anywhere in game shops and I don't like buying things over the internet so im left with dx then I can remember heroes being released for pc but I wasn't to kean on it so I looked on some torrent sites and found a download for it (I don't approve of piracy I just wanted to try it) and when I downloaded it and installed it I didnt really like it so I don't have much to say about heroes I prefer the old sonic games to bad they don't make them like they used to

3. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Oh Gosh, Fantasia. I never got to play it, because it Fried the first time I tried to play it. :cry:

Anyway, I was initially shown Sonic, not exactly gotton into it.It was way back when, When I got my Genises, that still works, although to play it, I need a new RF cable. I very few games for it. 3 sports ones, Which I never got into, Fantasia, which I said earlier busted, And 3 freakin' copies of Sonic the Hedgehog. I bought one at a Garage sale, one we had initially thought had busted, and the one we bought which was to replace that one. Robjoe Currently has the one which we had bought with the System, I think.

Either way, I Was Hooked on Sonics. Er. Sonic. *cough* I played and played... And never once got past Labrynth Zone, and Was completly AFRAID of Spring Yard's Boss which I almost never got to becuase I always had one life and fell into the Abyss before or While Attacking him, Acciedently hit the spike and fell in one of the Earlier made holes. But I gave up on it once Super Mario World came into the mix.

Much Later, SA2B showed up on Commercials, and I remembered the little Blue ball. I rented the game some odd weeks in and I was hooked. After I beat it and didn't have the attention span to get all 'A's, I periodicly left the game alone... Until Mega Collection. that when I truly learned where this Knuckles guy came from. I had only learned of Tails because I picked up some game at my cousins which I scoured to find earlier this year, but failed. It as interesting, It was handheld, but a Sonic game to be sure, but It had levels I have not seen on The Game Gear Games. The level I remember looked like Chemical Plant.

Long Story, which you just read, Short, It wasn't till Mega Collection did I get obsessed with the Blue hero. Not Megaman, Sonic.

4. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    Aaaaaaagh, please use some punctuation or capital letters or SOMETHING.

5. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I think that has to be the largest run-on Sentace in the history of man.

6. mr choco

mr choco

Pending Member
    do I get a place in the book of world records then ?

7. Vangar

Vangar

[​IMG]

NO U.

I first started playing on my grandfather's megadrive. My grandfather is cool :P

8. Lostgame

Lostgame

resident geek girl + record label manager Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Amy's sex appeal.

9. Shadow MK2

Shadow MK2

When I was really young (can't remember it) I first played Sonic 2 at some person's party. I played by pressing buttons and seeing what happened. I got all the way to Mystic Cave before a game over.* Before I had any Sonic games of my own I would play them at my cousin's house when we visited him(he had a Genesis, a Saturn, and all the Sonic games for them). I then bought Sonic & Knux Collection, Sonic CD, S3D, SEGA Smash Pack and Sonic R all for PC and played those when Sonic wasn't very well known for kids at my age(5/6/7). I also remember watching AoStH while my mom taped it for me when I was at Preschool. In fact, I still remember a bunch of the episodes. Then, when Sonic Adventure came out, I got a Dreamcast (my 2nd game system, first was N64) and SA for my birthday. Then I got SA2, Sonic Shuffle (I think it's okay...what? Stop staring at me!) and the list could go on and on...

*My family always told me that the first game I played was a Sonic game, and I played it like that and got really far. Then, when I was playing Sonic 2 on Mega Collection with my sister (she was Tails) we got to Mystic Cave, and she must've remembered the music or how it looked because she was absolutely sure that the last level I got to was Mystic Cave on my first play.

10. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son
    When our family moved for the first time, I was about 6 years old, and on the first day in we met the neighbors across the street who had a son only about 2 years older than me. He had a Genisis and Sonic 2. Needless to say, it was due to him that I got hooked. Later that year, my parents bought me a Genisis, although I never truly owned a Sonic game 'till I was about 10, when we had moved a second time. Someone had Sonic 2 up at thier garage sale, and I got it. I'm 16 now...and am still hooked.

11. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    I got a Sega Genesis w/Sonic 2, some game starring Goofy, some weird game that was a Zelda ripoff, and stuff. I was only 5 at the time, but I played Sonic 2 for an entire year straight to beat it. Now I can do it in my sleep.

I continued keeping in tune with the series, though it took me way too many years to actually own S3&K (Rented them, though.) I have been always a loyal Sega fan, though due to my young age I couldn't get the money for the deadly Sega Saturn or Dreamcast. However, I eventually managed to buy all the gamecube versions, and since then was able to substantiate my addiction which had been left cold from that sucky Sonic 3D blast.

My current stance, though, thanks to Sonic CD, is that I play the games in hope of the old, good stuff returning. Sonic 3 and Knuckles-style 3D game, where are thou?

12. Mr.Headhunter

Mr.Headhunter

Pending Member
    I got my Sega Mega Drive since 93' . It was a Birthdaypresent when I was 3 Years old. It came with Sonic 1 and a 3-in-1 Game.

13. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Fall in a hole and die.
    ----

That was probably Sonic Pocket Adventure then, the levels were sorta copied from Sonic 2, and the music was from Sonic 3 and Knuckles. It also had a Metropolis zone using Scrap Brain's background :P

----

Now for the actual decent post.

The first Sonic game I played was actually Sonic 2 for Game Gear at a friend's gamegear when I was bored. Didn't find it anything special. (I remember it was Sonic 2 because I saw Eggman capturing Tails). Then a few months/years later, I got to play the Mega Drive version at the same friend's house, and it was much better. I know it's Sonic 2 because I never forgot how I lost all my lives drowning in purple water while trying to pass those damn platforms when the water's going up :).

Much later, (as in 3 or 4 years later), I got a Saturn, and it came with a demo CD, which amongst them had demos of Sonic 3D and Sonic Jam. I almost immediately started saving for those two and got them (I lost them and the saturn's broken, unfortunately). The only two scenes I remember from playing Sonic Jam though are me getting stuck in Flying Battery Act 2 at the going up part (as Knuckles), Knuckles pulling the switch in MHZ Act 2 to flip the gravity, and Knuckles's two AIZ scenes in Sonic 3. I also remember thinking how come Sonic never pressed switches to make Knuckles fall and such.

And since about a year and half ago, long after I lost Sonic Jam, I got addicted into Sonic again when a friend of mine was playing it in the classroom and showed me how to use the Super Sonic cheat. I decided to try it at home for fun and ended up getting hooked, the rest is history.

14. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    I first got Sega Genesis since 1992 I think on christmas when Sonic 2 came out. The game I have for it is Sonic 1 came with it, Sonic 2 and Devil Crash pinball game. I first played Sonic 1 when I was over my friends house. I was 12 years old back then.

15. StephenUK

StephenUK

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear Tech Member
    Manchester, UK
    Quackshot Disassembly
    You're not gonna end up being approved as a member than. I hope you enjoy pending approval, coz you're gonna be there for a long time.

16. Hez

Hez

Asshole Oldbie
    Hell
    Your mother
    I opened up a Sega Genisis and there was Sonic 1.....loved it ever since

17. Puto

Puto

Shin'ichi Kudō, detective. Tech Member
    Portugal, Oeiras
    Part of Team Megamix, but haven't done any actual work in ages.
    Pending Approval? I think Misfit's more likely.

18. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I started playing the mega drive versions on the mega drive when I was about 3 years old because my older brother had the mega drive, so I have been anti-nintendo for a bit untill about last year, but I am still SEGA all the way.

ojdon

19. I got Mega Drive when I was 7 years old, it is strange japan pirated NTSC console with fast and different from emulators sound. My 1st cart was Sonic 1, my favourite sonic game...

20. Rarmander

Rarmander

Poetaster Member
    An Empyreal Child
    It was my fourth birthday. I can remember my friend who lives on my corner received a master system with sonic 1. It was the first time I ever played a video game. For the first time I experienced Sonic! We used to sit on our little fat asses and play it for hours on end. When it was my fifth birthday by then it was obvious what I wanted, because I kept asking my mom. Instead of getting me the master system like I asked for I received a megadrive with Sonic 1. It was the first console and game that I owned. I couldn't get enough of it, or so I thought. Eventually I got a little bored of Sonic 1, but then I heard about Sonic 2. My friend on my corner said it wasn't good. I can remember when my brother was in hospital for a broken leg. They had it there and boy was he wrong. I played it for hours and my parents struggled getting me to leave the hospital. The thing I really liked was the new 2 player feature. I was playing with my sister for hours and so shortly after that my skin was burning, and oh no, I am dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.