don't click here

What brought you to Sonic?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by chicago2003, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chicago2003

chicago2003

Pending Member
    I think the series just feels a bit more badass -- I didn't always use to think so as I was pro-Nintendo, now I'm indifferent and play all systems. What about everyone else?

2. Shade

Shade

Umm...what?

What brought me to Sonic was playing Sonic 2 when these kids were playing a Sega Genesis at this daycare. I was five years old, and this was my first gaming experience, and I remember it vivdly (The Emerald Hill Zone boss did me in <3). That same X-mas I got a Genesis with Sonic 2. The rest is history.

However, your topic goes schtizo and displays your feeling about the current state of the series :wtf: Anyhow, on that point I say: Badass in approach, yes. Badass in execution, no, not rly.

3. chicago2003

chicago2003

Pending Member
    I was trying to say that it's different than Mario in that it's got more edge....

Sorry.

4. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I first saw sonic when my cousin was playing it. He let me have a go on Sonic 1 on GHZ, and at the bit withthe towers that go up and down he told me that even with invinsibility I should still stay on the towers because you can die by touching the bottom of the level (or something to that effect), I however ignored him and died XD

5. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Oh lets see here.. first time I saw sonic was at a friends house back in the day. That was also the first time I saw a cheat code get used. I played sonic a few times there and I played Sonic 2 at the daycare I went. I never owned a Sega related product(the game gear doesn't count, its techniclly my brothers) so I only got to play sonic outside of the house, untill 2003. I guess what brought me to sonic was that back at the time it was sooo much better than the games I had at home, NES.

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    My first time to see Sonic was when my babysitters brother was playing Sonic 2 on Emerald Hill. I later got into it after playing Sonic 1.

7. paul

paul

Still an idiot! Member
    United Kingdom
    Drum Maestro? No, it wasn't possible.
    Started with the Master System games, Sonic 1 and 2. They were pretty cool. I was probably also still in danger of wetting the bed at this age though, so not many opinions about the games.

Long after that, parents sold my SNES and bought me a Mega Drive (Not sure if they actually did swap it, sell it or if I even *owned* a SNES before that and it wasn't just a borrowed one from a family member, but I definitely played a SNES first and I didn't have it after that, because I remember wondering where the eject button was). I'd got a few games with it, can't remember as my memory was fairly hazy, but I think it was Sonic 1 and 2 again.

8. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Sonic 1 was my hook, playing it at friends' houses ravenously (I didn't have a Gen or SNES or anything as a kid). My friends got Sonic 2; I played it as well. Eventually I met a really close friend who happened to be into Sonic and also happened to be in a rather wealthy family. Any time a new Sonic was released, we would play it on his super sexy Gen/CD/32X combo (expensive as hell back then, of course). They were just incredibly fun. I guess that was what got me in to it.

9. Atma

Atma

Nipple Rockets! Pending Member
    My parachute is a knapsack
    Learning Inform 7
    My dad used to be in the military and worked at a base down south a couple hundred miles and would be gone for literal months at a time training and working. I had always loved my NES back then. (Started playing games at about 1 year old. Chewed on the controller a lot and cried when Mario would die. Ah, youth.) I never had any friends up until high school so I spent most of my days gaming. One day, (can't remember how old I was) my dad brought home a Genesis w/Sonic 2 pack he bought at his base to keep me and my brother happy until his summer work was done. I played that game to death for years and years. I went through 2 Genesis consoles burning the boards inside to a crisp. I loved it. I don't know why. I always hated Hill Top Zone back then because I thought it was too slow and boring. Then the cartoons came on, then the comics, and more games, and the rest is history.

10. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Sonic 2 hooked me because the loops were bigger than Sonic 1, plus I loved Hill Top's music.

11. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    My father bought me a Megadrive on X-mas. It came with Sonic, Streets of rage, rambo III, columns, thunder force III. <3

12. Mystical Ninja

Mystical Ninja

For old time's sake. Oldbie
    New Castle, Delaware
    Nothing that concerns this place in the least.
    What brought me into Sonic, you ask? Simple. A Sega Genesis, and a copy of Sonic 1. That was MORE than enough to pull me into the series.

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Heh... Sonic was more of a general game for me at first, but it was always one of my favorites. First was Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, both at around the same time. I only got back into them hardcore a few years back.

14. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I looked over the fence in my backyard, into my neighbors window, and saw Sonic for the first time.

They constantly had Sonic 1 running on demo mode for some reason. After that, I bugged my mom to buy me a "Sega". I got it the following Xmas and it came with Sonic 1 and Fantasia. It was my first video game ever.

I remember, I had such a hard time on the LZ boss. It was hard enough to get to him, then I would spend all my lives trying to beat him. I finally did, and saw SLZ for the first time. Just then, my stupid step dad took the controller and started playing. ;_;

15. Shadow Fire

Shadow Fire

Ultimate victory! Member
    The Land of Darkness
    Sonic: The Lost Land (Series), The GCN (site)
    The year was 1991, and the member who is replying (me), was just 6 years old. His cousin had received a Sega Mega Drive with Sonic 1 for Christmas, as well as a Sega Master System with the very same game in 8Bit. This member was able to successfully complete the Master System Version of Sonic 1 within a half hour, but still could not get past Labyrinth Zone on the Mega Drive version as he kept panicking when close to drowning.

Then, in 1992, Sonic 2 came out for both systems. He received a Sonic 2 Master System Bundle for his birthday, while his cousin had received Sonic 2 for Mega Drive. Once again, he was able to beat the 8Bit game, although it took over an hour. However, he could not get past Chemical Plant Zone 2 on the Megadrive version.

With the Sonic cartoons that came out the following years, he was hooked.

Yup. I loves my Sonic.

16. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I was 4, my aunt had a Genesis, I played Sonic and loved it. :P
    Eventually my paretns got a Genesis and I could play all the time, we got sonic 2, then S&K eventually. I basically stopped getting news about sonic and went Mario, then Crash past that. Eventually in '99 my brothers friend came over with a DC and Sonic Adventure then I was back in the series. I started getting Sonic games like crazy, including the Genesis ones I missed. I have never even played a Saturn though.

17. Ah...
    I can't remember the exact date or location, but I was in a mall somewhere. One of the bigger stores had a display with a Sega Genesis and Sonic 1 running. Some kid was playing it for awhile, then let me give it a go. I was amazed at how fast and fun the game was. Haha, I even remember the kid getting to Marble Zone and me thinking that this was very far into the game.

From there, some friends of my parents had a Genesis and Sonic 1 and 2. I wasn't too into the games; I thought of them as nice and all, but I was more of a Mario fanboy back then (er...Luigi fanboy, actually). Time dragged on, and *something* happened to some relatives of mine; all I know is that my aunt who lived two blocks away had a Genesis for some reason, and it had Sonic 2. This was the start of me truly getting into the games; my aunt would always play as Sonic and I would always play as Tails (based on how we played the Mario games up until then). Around this time, my mom worked a convenience store that carried many magazines, including gaming magazines. News of a third Sonic game had me very excited; after the fun I'd had with Sonic 2, I had to have Sonic 3.

Blah blah blah, jump to December 1994. I saw a commercial for Sonic & Knuckles on TV and decided then and there that I would be getting a Genesis for Christmas, no questions asked. My constant pestering my parents paid off, and I got a Genesis for Christmas. I slowly built up my collection of Sonic games from there; I'll spare you all the boring details.

18. Ambil

Ambil

I want that heinous hedgehog hammered! Member
    Oh, I had a devotion feeling when I played Sonic in the Master System. Just for playing SONIC, my first video game, the game of my life, and not another one. I made stories and comics about it when I was a child, ya know.

19. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    I started out with a borrowed Genesis and a copy of Sonic 2 (that's right - I barely played Sonic 1 until I started in the scene).

20. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I played 1 and 2 as a kid, then stopped playing it, for about 6 years. Then I read a script a friend had done (Jason Voorhees Vs Sonic - Weird idea, but amazingly executed) and bought Sonic Heroes. I loved it. I've been hooked again ever since.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.