don't click here

What Are The Best Sonic Songs From Each Sonic Game?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by LetTheSpeedMendIt1, Nov 26, 2022.

1. I decided to make this post because I'm a massive music enthusiast and I always love discovering new music that broadens my horizons and expands my taste of music. Some of my favorite vocal and stage songs from Sonic are below:

- Live Life
    - Endless Possibility
    - Live and Learn
    - Knight Of The Wind
    - Waking Up
    - His World (Zebrahead Version)
    - Rooftop Run (Day)
    - Cool Edge (Day)
    - Windy Hill Zone (Act 1) Sonic Lost World
    - Aquarium Park (Act 1) Sonic Colors
    - Metallic Madness Present (Sonic CD)

For me, Waking Up is a really empowering song because it perfectly captures Shadow's desire to be free and override any fears that he once had. While Shadow The Hedgehog may not be one of the greatest games in the franchise, this song is absolutely great and one that is one of my personal favorite vocal songs. I can say the same for Spaceport in Sonic Forces despite the game being mediocre, that song with the vocals and electronica is honestly catchy and great. Live and Learn, Believe In Myself, It Doesn't Matter, Open Your Heart, Reach For The Stars, Live Life are all 10/10 Sonic songs for me. That includes both Classic and Modern City Escape remixes from Sonic Generations and the original from Sonic Adventure 2.

Undefeatable, I'm Here, and Vandalize from Sonic Frontiers are all amazing songs too that I'd award a 9/10 to. Race to Win is a great song that's far too short.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    If I had to choose 1 song from each game I've played and liked the OST of, the list would probably be this: (Skipping the vocal songs since they'd dominate the list otherwise)
    • Spring Yard - Sonic 1
    • Mystic Cave - Sonic 2
    • Collision Chaos Present JP - Sonic CD
    • Hydrocity Act 1 - Sonic 3&K
    • Red Hot Skull (Red Mountain 2) - Sonic Adventure
    • Mr Unsmiley (Sky Rail) - Sonic Adventure 2
    • A New Day - Sonic Rush
    • Theme of Egg Factory - Sonic Riders
    • Kingdom Valley - Sonic 06
    • Dragon Road (Day) - Sonic Unleashed
    • Camelot Castle - Sonic and the Black Knight
    • Planet Wisp Act 1 - Sonic Colors
    • Rooftop Run (Modern) - Sonic Generations
    • Honeycomb Highway - Sonic Lost World
    • Studiopolis Act 1 - Sonic Mania
    • Kronos Island: 5th Movement - Sonic Frontiers
    I had a surprisingly tough time trying to think up this list, so many good songs in this series. If I'm choosing from the vocal songs, then the list would probably look like this:
    • Sonic Boom - Sonic CD
    • Super Sonic Racing - Sonic R
    • Open Your Heart - Sonic Adventure
    • City Escape or Live & Learn (I cant choose okay) - Sonic Adventure 2
    • Never Turn Back - Shadow the Hedgehog
    • All Hail Shadow - Sonic 06
    • Dear My Friend - Sonic Unleashed
    • The Knight of the Wind - Sonic and the Black Knight
    • Reach for the Stars - Sonic Colors
    • City Escape (Classic) - Sonic Generations
    • Rhythm and Balance Remix - Sonic Forces
    • Undefeatable - Sonic Frontiers

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  3. Those are some great picks!

4. Here's some of mine

S1 - Starlight
    S2 - Skychase
    SCD - Wacky Workbench Bad Future JP
    S3K - Hydrocity act 2
    S3D - Puppet Panic act 1
    SA1 - Windy Valley
    S4 (LOL) - Splash Hill act 3
    Sonic Mania - Press Garden act 2
    Sonic ATS - Flight Thrills - Cyan City Act 2 (I thought I'd throw this out there as this fangame's OST is so good)

5. I love seeing the personal picks of all the Sonic fans here. I can add all of these to my YouTube playlist. Feel free to add fan game soundtracks too! Music is music!

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It'd be nice if this was something more than just a list topic. Just saying, we don't tend to like those.

7. Overlord, I just wanted to say that I love the music in the Sonic franchise because it's so unique. I thought it would be awesome to make a music thread possible for all the fans to share their best picks with others on Sonic Retro. I say this because music enriches my life and it helps me keep that positivity in my heart going. I'm new here and this is my first time using a forum. Whoever recommended me Flight Thrills from Sonic After The Sequel? This is a certified MASTERPIECE.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I've also merged in your other post as we don't need two threads about the same thing.

9. Thanks Overlord.

10. Welcome to Retro :)

That whole OST (Sonic ATS) is golden, I think some of the musicians that helped create that OST came from this forum. If you haven't played it give it a try, it's one of my favourite Sonic games, I even like it more than Mania.

Don't worry too much, I thought it was a nice idea :) The great thing about the Sonic franchise is that no matter how poo the games may become you can guarantee there will be some great music. I'm more inclined to like the more electronic side of the franchises' music, but it's cool that it's got more diverse over the years. I haven't played allot of the newer titles (even SA2 if you can believe it!! just never got round to it, I dropped out around SA1) but I've even heard a couple of great tracks even off 06 haha. When Frontiers comes down in price I'm looking forward to hearing that game's OST.

11. Undefeatable, I'm Here, and Vandalize are three great songs from Sonic Frontiers. The whole thing with Frontiers is that SEGA aimed it at adults so the soundtrack is much darker, more mature, and more serious than other games in the series. It's probably the most somber game in the franchise yet in my opinion. Do have any other favorite songs from Sonic Colors and Forces? I'd love to see your top 5 from both Colors and Forces.

12. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Sometimes, it depends on my mood. And comparing songs to each other is more of an apples-to-oranges comparison than it is apples-to-apples. Still, I'll bite and reveal some of my favorites as they stand right this minute:

Sonic 1: Green Hill Zone
    Sonic 2: Mystic Cave Zone (2P)
    Sonic 3: Launch Base Zone - Act 1
    Sonic & Knuckles: Death Egg Zone - Act 1
    Sonic CD (U): Wacky Workbench - Present
    Sonic CD (J): Collision Chaos - Present
    Sonic Spinball: Toxic Caves
    Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis): Diamond Dust Zone - Act 1
    Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn): Green Grove Zone - Act 1
    Sonic R: Can You Feel The Sunshine
    Sonic Adventure: Windy And Ripley
    Sonic Adventure 2: Escape From The City
    Sonic Colors: First stage music (name?)

Some other games I either didn't play, or it's been way too long since I've heard any of their music to make any sort of jusgement.

13. Saxman, those are some great choices.

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Shout outs to the following pieces of music:
    • Azure Lake Zone (Sonic 3)
    • The Doomsday Zone (Sonic & Knuckles)
    • Diamond In The Sky (Sonic R)
    • Space Trip Steps ...for Meteor Herd (Sonic Adventure 2)
    • Hang Castle, Mystic Mansion, Frog Forest, Lost Jungle (Sonic Heroes)
    • Sunset Hill Act 2 (Sonic Advance 3)
    • Flame Core - Volcano (Sonic The Hedgehog)
    • Molten Mine (Sonic and the Black Knight)
    • Snowball Waltz (Sonic Lost World)

These are the only definitive choices I have right now...

15. Damn I forgot Azure Lake, great track. I wonder if any of those multiplayer themes had links to the main zones during development.

@LetTheSpeedMendIt1 - I haven't played colours or forces, I've got a backlog of 3D games that I need to get through. Like I said I dipped out the franchise after SA1, but it's kind of cool in a way because I can now go back and play them all for the first time. I downloaded SA1 on steam yesterday for £1.50 (!!) so I might make this as my gateway to finally get through them all.

16. @High Fidelity

One of my favorite vocal songs is Live Life from Sonic and The Black Knight. It touched my heart because it has such a positive and touching message. Definitely look up that song man.

@Gestalt

Thank you for these! I'm gonna add them to my playlist.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2022
  17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Aside from that...

https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/whats-your-favorite-sonic-soundtrack.40795/
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/favourite-sonic-music.21773/
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index...-series-that-you-thought-were-the-best.17181/
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/favorite-sonic-soundtrack.39577/

And there are possibly more, can those be merged and/or pinned, since this seems to be a recurring popular question?

18. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    What if we just merged all of these threads into one "Sonic Music General" thread for posting any Sonic songs you like and just generally discussing the music of the franchise? That'd be a good solution.

19. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Flight Thrills is an absolutely fantastic song :doge:

Figured I'd make my own subjective list:
    S1: Labyrinth (took a lot of mental effort to separate the song from the stage...)
    S2: Sky Chase
    S3: HydroCity 2 / tied with every 2P song in the game
    SK: Doomsday
    SCD: PP Future / CC Future / QQ Past / SS Future (all JP ver.)
    Chaotic: Isolated Island / Marina Madness
    3D Blast: Special Stage (Saturn ver.)
    SA1: Crazy Robo
    SA2: Event: Let's Make It!
    Advance: the snow one idk
    Advance 2: idk
    Advance 3: the whole game is incredible, I'm not choosing
    Rush: The Metamorphoses
    Rush Adventure: Waterbike (duh)
    Heroes: Ocean Palace
    Shadow: I Am All of Me (duh)
    06: uhhhhh Egg Genesis maybe?
    Unleashed: Perfect Dark Gaia
    Colors: Terminal Velocity 1+2
    Gens: City Escape (Modern) :oldbie:
    [no games were released between Gens and Frontiers]
    Frontiers: Breaking Through It All / Cyberspace 3-4 (changing my opinion on this one like every day)

and if we're doing BTS/ATS: definitely that remix of Combat Night Zone

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  20. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    First, let me say that Super Sonic Racing is a fantastic track from Sonic R, and I think I actually prefer that over my earlier pick of Can You Feel The Sunshine.

Regarding the comments of merging... who am I to tell anyone what to do? However, since it's brought up, I'll suggest that this seems more like finding something to do for the sake of doing it, even though this thread really does no harm by itself, nor does having multiple past threads do any harm. Sounds a little like micro-management to me. I say just leave things exactly as they are. I seriously doubt most people honestly are that bothered by it.