don't click here

Weird HDMI issue

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Aerosol, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm pretty sure it's just the GPU going wonky or the PSU acting up, but I wanted a second opinion on this. Here's what's going on.

I've got my DLP TV connected to my GPU with a straight HDMI cable, and another LCD tv connected with an HDMI cable going through a DVI adapter. The LCD TV has no issues, but the DLP TV will seem to lose the HDMI connection whenever I play a video. It happens most frequently with flash videos, but it can happen with an MKV too. Doesn't matter if the video is full screen or not.

Now, my DLP TV is 73" and the LCD is only 22", and it doesn't matter how I switch the ports around, it's only the DLP TV that has this issue. I have another LCD TV that doesn't work too well, but I'm pretty sure that's an issue with the HDMI handshake or something. The computer detects it just fine, but the TV won't show anything. PSU is a 700w, GPU is a 570.

2. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Do you have a PS3? If so, try connecting it to the DLP TV using HDMI. If it shows the same problem, then chances are the DLP TV doesn't like HDCP (HDMI copy protection).

On your PC, it's likely that the video driver is enabling HDCP any time you try playing a video.

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I will certainly give it a try, but now the issue isn't happening at all. The DLP TV can even go to sleep and wake up still connected, without me having to get up and go unplug the HDMI cable from the PC or TV and plug it back in again.

This is actually how the TV first started behaving, and then all of a sudden the issue stopped. I thought the problem might have solved itself or something and thought nothing of it, but then it started back up again. Then it solved itself again?

I noticed that the TV actually shut off on it's own (it didn't go to sleep) and wouldn't let me turn it back on for a few minutes. The power led flashed the whole time, and when I did turn it back on, everything worked perfectly. It seems like it could be the TV itself after all.