don't click here

Video footage of Sonic 1 prototype from CES 1991

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Sep 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    What ever did happen to Badnik Contests?

(Sorry off subject still)

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Because we didn't see this stuff before at all?

3. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    err I said in the sixth post:
    :v:

Also interesting that he watches you, this is really neat, I hope if we do land a prototype, it's this one.

4. Xilla

Xilla

True dat! But IIRC the Gimmick Mt Zone Ballhog behaved just like the Scrap Brain version, only he was continually jumping.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...I don't think that ballhog can turn around, seeing how he seems to be symmetrical.
    [​IMG]
    This version looks more similar to the illustration in the Japanese manual, both in shape and colors.

EDIT: Also, the images those monitors are slowly cycling are:

First monitor:
    -Robotnik
    -Sonic
    -Ring.

Second monitor:
    -Static frame.
    -Another static frame.
    -Robotnik.

So those objects are just cycling all the possible frames they had programmed in. I doubt they ever intended to animate those static frames like that, so I'd rule out the possibility of a "roulette monitor".

EDIT 2:
    Since nobody seemed to notice, there's a Pink Newtron (chameleon) badnik that behaves like the final blue one (he appears, then drops).
    In the final version, it was the ball-firing chameleon who used the second palette (then changed to green).
    [​IMG]

6. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    If it wasn't a fluke, it would've been a neat feature to keep in the game. Although the Ball Hogs in the final Sonic 1 don't really have a reason to change direction, it would've been a nice touch.

7. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Let me just post the stuff I thought about on IRC.

Just snippets. tl;dr, Ballhog was actually the first enemy programmed into the game - and now we know why, it appeared in GHZ at one point! Also, the Eggman monitor probably did something during this time, but probably had a code cleanup down the line.

Just some food for thought.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Two things worth noting:

-Those are not "Robotnik monitors", they're just slowly cycling all the existant icons (including the static frames), one by one.
    -As was also pointed out, that footage seems too clean to have been taken at the show, and looks earlier than the version that guy in the video was really playing. So, for all we know, the monitors might have been glitchy as hell at that time.

9. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    wow, roulette monitors. Neat.

10. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Wouldn't the code to make the Ballhog go left & right be similar to the Crabmeat code to move left & right?

2 similar enemies, might as well use the same code.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    These seem to advance little by little, seeing how one of them showed the 3 animation frames in the same place.

That's why I think they moved similarly to the Bomb badnik.

12. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Everything I was able to notice:

13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Nice list, some things there I never realised just watching that video a few times.

14. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    It's a real Sonic 1 prototype in action. Likely the same one with the UFOs in Marble Zone. And Sparkling Zone perhaps. Great find drx!

EDIT: I watched the second video and it seems at the end of it, it shows a different clip from the game but it's almost a fraction of a second long:

[​IMG]

15. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Sorry, it just goes to another clip of a human playing a game. If you download the full episode, it is in better quality, see here:
    [​IMG]

It seems Sega have released videos of Sonic 1 in action to many different media companies as advertising. I hope drx is thinking the same thing as I am thinking ;)

16. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    My guess is that in the same way debug coordinates replace the score sprite in the final, in this build the debug coordinates simply replaced the life counter. Well, not in vram area, but in object/mappings regards I guess.

Needless to say, nice find :)

17. Tongara

Tongara

Fuck YOU! Banned
    Birmingham, UK
    Zorbtech Productions
    Sorry to ask, but where can I download videos from this event? I want the 1994 one where they showed off Sega Saturn stuff, and stuff with graphical silicon station.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It could even be the same video they sent to the Wayne's World guys. :O

19. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Somehow that ballhog in the beta video looks quite scary.

20. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    Ballhog =

[​IMG]
    ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.