don't click here

Video desyncs alot

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Aerosol, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Hi all. HD videos tend to desync the audio from the video on my laptop, and sometimes the video just gets all garbled and stopped. Happens less often if I set the priority of the video player to High though, so I figure it's just my laptop's hardware choking under the pressure.

What else can I do to minimize this dreadful problem? I'm using VLC 2.0.2 right now. Is there a faster media player that supports .mkv?

2. Flygon

Flygon

VLC, in my experience, has tended to suffer desyncs if it can't decode videos fast enough (particularly if they use frame-dropping or large keyints to save space)... might be best to try not viewing HD videos, or trying a different video player (I've had no issues with desyncs in Windows Media Player, for example).

Anyone else that has done video encoding outside of flamewars with TASVideos members, feel free to correct me. :v:

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I do try not to watch HD videos. Problem is is that certain subbing groups only release their shit in 720p or 1080p.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You could always try using CCCP with Media Player Classic HC: http://www.cccp-project.net/

5. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I'm gonna second this one. Apart from the fact that MPC-HC is generally more lightweight and stable than VLC, this setup is a damn sight better than VLC at properly rendering subtitles. Since you seem to be watching anime subs, this will probably make a bigger difference to you than some. Hell, those Sonic X subs that Puto uploaded a few years ago were a perfect example of this; the opening credits used multiple colors and locations for subs on-screen at once, asynchronously. VLC took a dump on this, and MPC-HC rendered it correctly. Although, this was admittedly some time ago, and they MAY have fixed it, but I'm not particularly confident about that.

6. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Have you ever used VLC 2.x? I think it fixes a lot of the subtitle problems you described.

7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    So video playback was nice and smooth with CCCP. I guess it's just not as resource hungry as VLC is.