don't click here

VGZ/VGM BPM?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Azu, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Is there any program that can check the BPM of a VGZ/VGM file?

2. ValleyBell

ValleyBell

Tech Member
    researching PC-98/X68000 sound drivers
    As far as I know, there isn't.

But you can play with the BPM setting in vgm2mid until it fits. I really need to upload the most recent vgm2mid version. (I can't believe that I haven't updated it for more than one year.)

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    There are some generic BPM detectors which work with any audio stream (wav, mp3, so even vgm/vgz in theory), but they usually do a poor job. I seem to remember there was even a Winamp plugin for this.

4. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    VGM is a raw dump of register writes in time appropriate up to 44100 times per seconds, so it has no internal concept of bpm. You're stuck using the BPM detection tools, though would you have more luck if you have a VGM player that mutes everything except the rhythm channel?

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Your easiest bet might be to just listen to the file and use a tool like this one: http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

6. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I want to get into midi making, and I'm tried converting to a midi, but that just outputs a fast midi with a BPM of 140, All midis outputted from the VGM2MID I have has 140 BPM and sounds about twice as fast. Also, Valley, do you have a link to your VGM2MID? The one I have is rather old. Doesn't even have bpm option. I think it's just a GUI version of the old DOS VGM2MID.

This what I'm trying to do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPLILOL89HQ

This what I've done so far. I already know I messed up some where.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32409323/Music/final%20area.mid

7. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    These guys beat me to part of what I was going to suggest. Using in_vgm, mute out everything but percussion, or at least something with a steady rhythm that's either full of gaps or very percussive. Render that to a wav file, and open it in Wavosaur. Select an even number of beats in the waveform (use some precision), preferably four or a binary number of beats, and go to Tools > BPM Calculator. I've found this method to be very accurate. Just use a little bit of care in your selection.

8. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Not working too well, still feels off.
    [​IMG]
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32409323/Music/FA_Beat.mp3

Should I set it where it loops at? I'm using the "beep" noise that already in the music, sound I use the bass drum beat instead?

9. ValleyBell

ValleyBell

Tech Member
    I'd use the "beep" noise because of its constant rhythm.

Here's my most recent version of vgm2mid. (my usual updates are in a thread on SMSPower.org, but that verision is 13 months old)

10. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    It's amusing I recognised that tune just from the percussion track without even looking at the title bar of the screenshot. =P

But yes, use the beep, that's consistant enough to be a BPM counter.

11. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    I think I know what I am doing wrong. I'm running the wav file along side the midi I'm making. Maybe it doesn't work like that?

12. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Is there anyway to get rid of these little notes?

[​IMG]
    I notice that some of converted VGM/VGZ doesn't have it.

13. ValleyBell

ValleyBell

Tech Member
    It happens because it does the "Note On" command before it sets the new note frequency. I've never seen that on the YM2612 before, but it's quite common on the PSG.
    Although these small (zero-length) notes annoy me, too, I haven't found a good way to get rid of them.
    You can only use a small workaround: set the "Pitchwheel Sensitivity" to 24 (or maybe even higher).

btw: BPM is circa 138 (the loop is most accurate with "Multiply 222 / 256" = 138.38 BPM), but the sound engine seems inaccurate.

14. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    For the record, Mega Bomberman uses the Westone sound driver, used in Monster World III and IV... so IDK what they were thinking; I could try to take a look at what's going on later.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I remember seeing a pattern like that when I was trying to rip music from Mega Bomberman using GYM2MID years ago, actually, so it's not a VGM specific problem.

16. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    According to the VGM winample plugin, it uses YM2612 and SN76489.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Technically, the PSG has no concept of note on, it needs to be faked by altering the volume of the channel, so I guess everybody did it the way they felt like doing it.