don't click here

Very Rare Sega Sonic Item!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MichelMeijer, Oct 20, 2022.

1. MichelMeijer

MichelMeijer

Hello fellow Sega fans, this is my first post!

Recently I found this item below. I've contacted Sega Lord X about it and we think it's something Sega would have given to a retailer or given away in a promotional tour.
    Can you tell what it is? And maybe put a price on it...
    Happy to hear from you guys!

3 websites with this item:
    https://sonicthehedgehogcollectibles.weebly.com/sonic-posters-store-displays-etc.html
    https://drouot.com/l/13127229
    https://www.sonicstadium.org/2010/01/ebay-watch-rare-3d-electronic-sega-sonic-sign/

mp-f166265eacd74f198c6448914e5ee403-image.jpg mp-31c6ca1dd0eb4a3a844fb40335011d2f-image.jpg mp-7de481aa01d345908bd5b04077e1b58f-image.jpg

2. MichelMeijer

MichelMeijer

For someone who's new here, this is not a warm welcome...where are the reactions?! ;):words:
    I think it's valued somewhere between 500-750 euro/dollar.
    Given the fact I did not buy the item yet, and my knowledge of this item is minimal, I'm here on this forum.
    Please help this poor dutchman...

3. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    If you expected a warm welcome, you probably should have made your post in the introductions thread. That said, you're asking about an item which you have done your research on and come up empty handed for info. I'm not entirely sure what makes you think we would have even more information tucked away about this.

Where are you getting those numbers for the value? What appraises it as such? If you haven't bought the item yet, how much is the seller asking? We're not here to tell you if you're getting a good deal or not.

4. MichelMeijer

MichelMeijer

Apart from the 3 websites above, I am empty handed!
    On the last website, as you have seen, there was an auction in 2010 for 175 GBP starting bid. (cannot find the eBay auction)
    12 years later i'ts fair to say (for me) to double or triple that price only due to inflation.
    The seller has not put a (realistic) price on it, because they don't know either.
    However, they are willing to sell at 1500 euro...

5. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I honestly didn't even notice this topic until now. That's actually a pretty neat item. I don't know any more about it than you though.

It's hard to put a value on something so unique that nobody is actively looking for. Granted, it is worth something to be sure since it's Sonic. I guess it really comes down to how much are *you* willing to pay for it? You may be the sole factor determining its worth.

Edit: Just saw your last reply. If it were me, I'd try to beat that price down. That seems excessive. And be willing to walk away, which I understand is tough when you're really interested in buying something. You could ask if he's gotten any other offers too.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

SEGALordX - I love that guy’s videos. Also, welcome!

This is a pretty unique looking item so I’m not sure any of us will be able to help value it. Really, it’s worth what someone’s willing to pay for it, simple.

Best of luck though, I hope you get it, and at as lowest a price as you can possibly. Personally I don’t think a sign is worth hundreds, even if it is unique. The retro gaming world is a bit crazy when it comes to prices.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Howdy.

That's French display sign, probably from 1992-1994. It's not worth four figure sums.

[​IMG]
    https://en.sega-dreamcast-info-game...nic-sega-dreamcast-prototype-document-release

Whoomp there it is (at the French Sonic 3 launch (early 1994))

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.8...BCvI1b6g!2e0!5s20220601T000000!7i16384!8i8192
    That building today. If it matters at all.

These things are rare in the sense that only a finite number of video game retailers existed in early 90s France, but the fact a few have been spotted on the internet suggests they're not as uncommon as they could be. Good luck finding that Sonic 3 display stand, for example, or that disturbing Sonic costume (or hell, any of those TVs). The internet is very selective of what it perceives as valuable - "we don't know what this is, but I'm sure it's worth thousands".

I couldn't tell you the precise origins, but I would guess the newly established Sega France commissioned "things" to help move the products they sold. Those Sega-branded cabinets are another example (blister packs and hooks means the software has to be front-facing!). They'll have been auctioned off in the late 90s when the Mega Drive was done.

If you do end up with one, take some nice pictures for Sega Retro. We'll find a use for them.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I've seen those pop up on Ebay Belgium/France and selling for 100€ max over the years.

9. MichelMeijer

MichelMeijer

Thanks for all the reply's guys!
    About the price: it was listed several days, people went a little crazy about it / a lot of interest, bidding up to 500! Then the seller decided not too sell. (but I got sellers private number!)
    @Adamis: Under what name was it listed? I cannot find a single listing of this item...maybe you can provide details
    @Black Squirrel: How did you find that information, then you must know everything of Sega/Sonic :) And how funny is that store now, HOLLAND BIKES! (can't be true, my country!)
    @saxman: What a nice saying..."You may be the sole factor determining its worth" but according to the last reply it's worth around 100...(what I think is low)
    @LockOnTommy11: SEGALordX, he initiated this item...very good videos indeed!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022