Updating old hacks

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sith, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Certain older hacks like "Sonic Revolution" & "Project Shadow Demo 4" (both by JohnnyUK I think) don't work properly with the very accurate Kega.

They were taylor-made for the less accurate Gens and probably won't work on the new Gens rewrite that St?phane Dalongeville is currently working on either.

I don't want to keep using Gens 2.12b in the future just to play such inaccurate Gens-made hacks. (Because Gens itself is inaccurate obviously.)

I love the above-mentioned hacks made by JohnnyUK and am hoping he'll update them to be more hardware accurate.
    Project Shadow wasn't finished but I love it, especially the first levels (night atmosphere with mystic cave 2P music).

Can anyone tell me if PS will be finished and these hacks updated? Maybe Johnny himself?

2. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    Actually, Sonic Revolution was made by StephenUK. And, I guess in a way he is updating it, but it will be a long time until he releases it, if he ever does.

I don't think we'll ever see an update to Project Shadow, as JohnnyUK has gone commercial with Terra Galactica.

Besides, that of Gens version isn't that bad. It'd be handy to keep an old version just in case.

3. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I suppose you could ask JohnnyUK if he could provide what he has regarding Project Shadow so you could do the modifications yourself, if you're so inclined.

4. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I'm no hacker myself but a big fan of Sonic hacks.

Apologies to StephenUK for not recognizing him as the author of Revolution.
    Hope you're still working on it.

5. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha

Who's next!? Oldbie
    StephenUK is still working on his project, which is now known as Project Chaos. As for JohnnyUK's Project Shadow, I doubt he'll let anyone continue with it.

6. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Then use the Better than Kega "Gens+".

7. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Gens+ still has the same inaccurate core. I prefer Kega.
    I've read somewhere though that Gens is an easier tool to create hacks with.
    Maybe that's why so many Gens hacks circulate.

Guess I'll take ThunderSpeed's advice and keep the old (current) Gens on my pc too even when the new one comes out.

8. stuntmaster

stuntmaster

Southampton
    Learning the whole Sonic hacking thing, Im gettin there Slowly....
    well the thing is, Kega or Gens+ isn't avaliable for Xbox, but Gens is, and the ability to play with a proper Controller is something, and the interface is much easier to use (with a pad that is than the windows version), it even plays Sega CD games fine, no need to muck around with that ASPI Layer either. so I play all the mods/hacks on my xbox now.

9. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Buy a game pad for your computer then, I have one and its kinga in the shape of the PS3 mockup controller.

10. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    I've heard an Xbox 360 controller works well on a PC emulator too.

11. Tigrael

Tigrael

She sees. Member
    Learning to draw
    Agree'd.

12. stuntmaster

stuntmaster

Southampton
    Learning the whole Sonic hacking thing, Im gettin there Slowly....
    but do standard xbox controllers work with the emulator? (not 360)
    I could buy a controller for my PC but I forgot to mention, I have a nice flatscreen 28" which is connected to my xbox so, the resolution is nice (if I scale it down) rather than my tatty old CRT on my PC (I really should get a TFT for that).

13. Tigrael

Tigrael

She sees. Member
    Learning to draw
    Well yes, but only if you get an adapter. The advantage with the wired Xbox 360 controller is that it ends in a USB connector.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.