don't click here

Unpopular Sonic Opinions

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Londinium, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Frontiers lets you curl into a ball and even roll down slopes... VERY SLOWLY. Unbelievable how close they were.

2. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    A whole ass button that does nothing on a flat surface sounds silly. Just have the roll button spin dash while you're standing and roll while you're moving. I know that's pretty close to what SA1 already does but...yeah like why fix what's not broken? All these inhibitions would just make Sonic seem less capable than his 2D counterpart. A drop dash in 3D would be way more fun than Sonic R crouching and would also disincentivize spamdashing.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  3. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    They said function, not button

4. Wraith

Wraith

It has that awkward windup to use its base function while the somarsault just comes out the second you press the button. It doesn't have the mobility potential of the spamdash or even the SA2 charged spindash either. I'm not sure how it's anything but a downgrade

5. kazz

kazz

16-bait Member
    I don't care that the crate breaks as soon as I press the button, it's still an embarrassingly generic mechanic that robs my momentum. Awkward as it is, Rocket Accel flows with Sonic's other moves and at least helps me go fast, unlike the somersault. I think it at least could have worked as a replacement to the spamdash as a mechanic, as opposed to what SA2 did which is just replace it with something orthogonal. Say you could spam the roll button to pop one off, like a boosted uncharged spindash with a cooldown. IDK, maybe I shouldn't have brought it up lol.

6. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    I guess this is unpopular now, but Ian Flynn does a good job writing with what he has. I also don't believe he's the (at least sole) reason for the massive influx of references in Frontiers.

I would also say it's very unfair for people to judge his writing style predominantly on that one game when he's written quite a lot of good characterization in Archie and IDW that had fans clamoring for him writing for the main games to begin with.

Not sure why this is an unpopular opinion except maybe the fanbase is filled with contrarians? :eyebrow:

7. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

I knew people would turn on Flynn as soon as he was in a position to do this. From what I've seen, the Sonic fandom has never once been happy with the current writers, but they always love and revere the old ones.

We're about five years away from Pontac & Graff being considered peak Sonic.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. How dare Sonic do not act in the same way he was in my fanfiction?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Jaxer

Jaxer

Speaking of this, here's a boiling one:

A large chunk of Sonic fans who claim to like Maekawa's stories don't actually like his writing, what they actually like is the writing of late 2000s fanmade flash animations which were vaguely inspired by the games he wrote for.

In fact, I'd argue that false memories induced by SMBZ and Nazo Unleashed are some of the largest contributing factors to how this godforsaken fanbase has acted ever since Forces' release.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. HammerKirby

HammerKirby

HammerKeebi Member
    I kinda disagree with this opinion but I kinda don't at the same time. I find Plant Wisp Act 2 is be the worst boostblevel in Gens, but I still find it to be quite overhated (guess I'm just that much of a Gens fanboy). The level has quite a few shortcuts and stuff that are risky and fun to go for, but even so I still find the ending section to go for a bit long, and it could use a small 3d section or two to break up the pacing. City Escape is the 2nd worst boost level and the main problem with it is just that the truck section goes on way too long. The Sa2 one feels just the right length to me. Although saying that my somewhat unpopular opinion is that I actually prefer Crazy Gadget, Final Rush and Radical Highway gameplay wise. I think City Escape hits so hard because of the music and the general vibes with like the story and stuff. But the levels I mentioned have higher skill ceilings, making them more replayable to me.

11. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I've never even watched either of those things and I love maekawa's writing lol, I think the same goes for most of my friends too. You don't need to invent a boogeyman to say you don't like his writing!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. penBorefield

penBorefield

Living in my best life Member
    Basement
    Patching things up
    I think they should ditch Knuckles so he can be a guardian of the Master Emerald for eternity. There's no point to bring him back other than for fanservice (no, no that kind of "Fanservice", just being there as part of the Team Sonic and do nothing).

13. Wraith

Wraith

The main problems with the somarsault mechanic are that it breaks your flow and that it doesn't have much utility outside of the times you're prescribed to use it. The same was true for Rocket Accell from what I remember. I just don't see how it's much of an upgrade. The hypothetical one you're suggesting might have been neat but it doesn't do the Sonic Heroes we have now any favors.

I'm not sure where this comes from, since the introspective nature of Maekawa's writing has little in common with those, and Sonic Team largely couldn't animate a decent fight scene to save their lives so there's not much crossover as far as what the main appeal of those shorts actually was.

Here's one: Sonic fans have been pretty resentful of Sonic's "Shonen manga" influence as if it was a tone breaking addition in the 2000s when it's mostly been there the whole time outside of fringe American content.

14. Mr. Cornholio

Mr. Cornholio

Without replaying Heroes, the only time I recall the game absolutely requiring the Rocket Accel move was in the tutorial.

And even as a kid I struggled a fair bit in Team Rose's story trying to figure out what to do.

It's a neat idea that could be like the Adventure 2 somersault with more utility, but the complexity of the move's requirements and the game never really requiring/encouraging it makes the move feel nearly useless. I don't think there was a point I ever felt like it'd be a wise idea to use it since the game usually always had Boost Pads available or the hallway level design never really encouraged it.

Even in Adventure 2, the level design forced the somersault more, as much of a pace-breaker it was. There was also stuff outside of the level geometry that encouraged it too with the GUN enemies.

15. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

Hey, don't forget about Europe.

And I'd argue that stuff wasn't fringe in the slightest. It was THE definitive view of what Sonic was in all the places it was successful. Sonic never would've made it past 16-bit if it hadn't been such a hit in the west. Hell, given the fact that STI hired Naka, there's a pretty good chance it wouldn't have even made it past the first game.

From chili dogs to "Robotnik" to Sonic's irreverent attitude, there's a reason the games incorporated various pieces of the series' western identity over the years, starting as early as SA1. That's what the vast majority of Sonic fans knew him to be.

Those anime elements were always there and always a valid piece of Sonic's identity, but that's equally true for the western elements. Sonic was never supposed to be one singular thing.

16. That's not what is being argued though; right around the time of the late 2000s, to early 2010s was the general consensus is that was "all of the stupid anime bullshit ruined Sonic and needs to go" in spite of the fact that it's been part of the series since literally the second game. Like I said, Sonic has been going Super Saiyan since literally 1992. Sonic CD's opening is one of the most praised pieces of animation in the franchise, and that's literally the same studio that animated Dragon Ball.

The extra media stuff was the outlier in not doing that, and going in a different direction altogether. It wasn't wrong for them to do so, but it's pretty crazy just how much people still insist Sonic never was and ever should be "anime" despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

17. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

Yeah, and I thought that take was just as stupid as the one we get more of now that says, "Only Japan's interpretation of Sonic is valid, all this western bullshit ruined Sonic and needs to go."

18. I'm not gonna argue which side is more correct, but the Western stuff is the derivative here. You can at least admit that right?

19. KaiGCS

KaiGCS

The outside media (whether it's SatAM, Fleetway, or Sonic X) is derivative of the games, but one version of the games' canon isn't derivative of the other. They each existed at the same time to try and appeal to different, isolated markets. Sonic 1 came out first in the west. Sonic's primary goal was to be a success in the west, and it seems like that took priority. Hell, Sonics 2, 3, SA2, and most of the 2000s games were developed in California. Sonic, by design, wasn't meant to have a singular worldwide identity. It was always a melting pot of different influences.

20. Wraith

Wraith

The games were already established and successful years before the cartoons came out. The games and their influences are what I'm talking about. I'm not concerned with any outside media that was made to cash in on their success. They aren't creative influences on the franchise. You're conflating many separate ideas, media and issues here just to be like "western Sonic good" when a value judgement on all western Sonic media is missing the point.