don't click here

Tutorial: How to convert Sonic Adventure DX into the 'moddable&#39

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Laura, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Hello everyone.

I got Sonic Adventure DX on Steam a few months ago and was rather surprised how all the mods seemingly didn't work on it. It was irritating, although I can understand why hackers like MainMemory didn't want to start over from scratch on the Steam version.

I also saw that there was no clear tutorial for how to convert Sonic Adventure DX Steam into the 2003 PC version (which is what can be modded).

So, here is my own guide, intended for the clueless (like myself :v: )

1) Download the conversion files

Sonic Adventure DX conversion files

These are the files you will need. Copy these into the Steam folder where Sonic Adventure DX was installed. Use the Sonic.exe file to run the older version of the game that is moddable.

There is a slight snag though.

2) Download the music for Sonic Adventure

Due to music-copyright the above file used different music. As we all know, Sonic has a great soundtrack and cannot be replaced.

Here is the file to restore the music:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/om77rbfobhbl0jp/SADX%C2%A0Original%C2%A0Music.rar

Simply extract the music from this file into: sonicadventuredx/system/soundata/bgm

Simply replace all the files to have the awesome original soundtrack back!

3) Finally, allowing windowed mode

By far the most stressful part of trying to convert Steam Sonic Adventure DX is trying to get it to run in windowed mode. Nothing seems to work and it's incredibly frustrating. HOWEVER, there is a solution!

MainMemory's mod loader! (As you can tell, I'm a big fan of MainMemory!)

Simply go to this page and download the SADX Mod Loader: Mod Loader

This ModLoader has loads of great functions but we are interested in the 'config editor'

In the 'Config Editor' click the Screen Mode to be 'Windowed Mode' (this is in the Video Tab which is the default tab)

Taa Daa, Steam Sonic Adventure DX is now moddable!

On a sidenote, MainMemory's ModLoader only works with the US Sonic.exe file. But no worries, because MainMemory has provided us with one and all you need to do is copy and replace the EU Sonic.exe with the US Sonic.exe. I would know, I'm English and had to do it :v:

SonicUS.Exe

It's the link MainMemory has on Post 9 of the above link.

I hope this thread helped everyone out! Here are my video sources for the files. I certainly don't want them to be uncredited. Also, thanks for MainMemory for all the great stuff he has done for us over the years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd4dKWIarbI (for the conversion files) [InTheGame Kiah]

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y48vEj0p4jI (for the music files) [SonicCreations]

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    If you're using the mod loader anyway, downloading the music is unnecessary, you just have to copy the music from the Steam version and the mod loader will allow SADX to play it.

3. CheatFreak

CheatFreak

Catgirl expert. Member
    I actually made a much improved version of this pack recently, it's regularly maintained as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UQI1onRXLQ

It includes MainMemory's SADX Mod Loader Including the XInput Fix with Xinput controls pre-configured, Morph's Fixed Edition is fully enabled, and the Super Sonic Mod is on by default.
    Oh, and I also made it so each character goes to a different Twinkle Circuit from the subgames menu- but that's just a minor improvement.
    None of this replace this whatever that whatever, just download- and copy over your steam version.

Though the only catch is that you can't unlock the new achievements with this version.

I maintain the download the best I can- like if an update to Morphs Fixed Edition comes out- It'll be added up and reuploaded, or if the modloader updates or something.

Also this shiny launcher.
    [​IMG]

also, woo first post