don't click here

Triple Fang for Mac

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by The Game Collector, Jul 22, 2017.

1. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Pictures: (for some reason embedding from Facebook doesn't work so I have provided links instead. Please let me know if you are unable to use these links. This photo album should already be set to public)

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 3 (Nack piloting a machine)

Does anyone on the forum have the fan game Triple Fang downloaded and have the ability to upload it? Was the game's creator a member on this forum too? It seems that the link in the original post from the game's creator on the forum they were a member of no longer works, which isn't surprising because the game is so old. I just got lucky and found a macbook for $74 at a pawn shop after the discount was applied and thought how cool it would be to finally be able to run this game. I just can't find an alternate download link anywhere. I remember checking out Youtube videos for the game almost a decade ago and even those aren't coming up with a google search.

This was the original forum link. Maybe this might help in case you didn't know what I was talking about.

My link

It appears Rogue Ego is mostly into video production these days so I see what happened. His games were removed from his website. I'm going to try sending him an email or Facebook message to see if he'll share the zip file with me. EDIT: The Rogue Ego that exists now is not the same Rogue Ego who posted this game. The original Rogue Ego must have let their domain name expire and this new company bought the domain. They said they weren't the ones who made this game.

EDIT: I spent a good while going through my old data discs looking for old games I downloaded and it turned out that I downloaded version 1 of this game back in the day. I don't know if it ever got any updated releases after that so if I never hear back from this guy at least I have that. I tried putting it on my Mac and it turns out my Mac is too new to run it natively because this fan game was an app designed for Power PC. So unless I find a good Power PC emulator or find an older Mac with a Power PC based OS, I won't be able to play it or post any more info about it for those who never got to see this one.

If I ever get this figured out I'll show you some screenshots at the very least.

Update 7-28-2017: I ordered a Power PC Mac iBook generation 4 from mid 2005 for $40 that I am guessing should run this game. Since the fan game came out almost exactly a year after this Mac model's original release date, I am guessing it may be the same specs or at least close to what the developer had at the time. If not, at least it'll run older apps and games that my more powerful Mac isn't compatible with. It should be here around August 1st according to eBay's estimate. We shall see and I'll update this post again when I have news on whether this does the trick.

Update 7-30-2017:

I got my G4 iBook last night and tested out the game. It works! I will supply screenshots at the very least as soon as I have the time. The instructions (text file) say that in order to use a controller you need to use software that can map keyboard presses to the controller. It recommends software I haven't heard of but maybe joy2key didn't exist yet, or maybe joy2key doesn't run on Macs.

I will say one thing, the graphics are a little more bland than I remembered from the youtube video I saw. The sprites aren't very animated. At least the game is playable and runs ok with only 512MB of RAM. And at the time it was one of the only fan games where you can play as Nack. Playing as him in Sonic World makes this seem like less of a source of hype. It's still interesting though. Also buying this computer for the price of a brand new 3DS game, I can't complain. I'm sure it'll give me access to a lot of old Mac games I've never heard of. I have no idea if it will be compatible with Mac games from the 90s like the ones we had at my school. But I guess I'll find out someday.

Photos of the game in action have been added

I made it to the third level but it seems there have been a couple glitches. I collected the three webs Robotnik wanted but the level failed to end. The second time an elevator I needed to use wouldn't work a second time. I am thinking maybe if I collect the webs in a different order than I did the first time, maybe the level will end like it is supposed to.

This is why I am hoping if anyone ever finds a later release version, it gets uploaded.

EDIT:

There is a level select code so even if the level completion event doesn't occur, you can still exit and select the next level in line. The 4th level includes a boss fight with Metal Sonic.