Trackers

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Galaxia, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    So we know there's an abundance of trackers for 8 bit consoles such as LSDJ and Famitracker- but is there an actual tracker for the SEGA MegaDrive as of late? I'd love to have a crack at making chiptune using a MegaDrive...

2. Overlord

Overlord

Aros gartref, diogelu'r GIG, achub bywydau Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    To my knowledge, no - your best bet is to make an XM up with OpenMPT and then use XM3SMPS (Or XM4SMPS if you can figure out how the hell the interface works. I can't).

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
  4. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Ouch, was kind of hoping for a cartridge based deal such as LSDJ... nonetheless I'll have a dabble with TFM tomorrow when I'm not knackered from doing a two hour essay on the importance of Hamlet's madness within the play. :argh:

On that note, has no one attempted to create anything similar to a tracker? Wasn't there a sound engineering kit or something similar on drx's site or is that something different?

5. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    the GEMS, it is PC+MD combo setup, PC has interface and tools, MD does sound... much like my own tracker right now, except you only need regular flashcart not specialized HW on MD side :argh:

6. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Considering XM4SMPS's interface is just XM3SMPS's, but in tabs, that's... pretty sad.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Aros gartref, diogelu'r GIG, achub bywydau Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Learning Cymraeg
    Well, I actually managed to make a VGM using 3. *shrugs* Maybe I should have another look at 4, but whatever...

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    I was about to make a dedicated smps tracker. But I realised it was pointless since you could just convert from XM files anyway.

Maybe in one of my next lives I'll think again about that...

9. Moogle!

Moogle!

I realize programming is a non-trivial job, but it nonetheless kind of irritates me that everyone has darted around making a proper Genesis sound system tracker.

10. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    TFM Music Maker 1.3 is supposedly a Genesis tracker. I'll see if that's true.

<a href="http://shiru.untergrund.net/software.htm" target="_blank">http://shiru.untergrund.net/software.htm</a>

EDIT: Seems to be sound emulation rather than output. You can export a VGM.

EDIT 2: It's just a really bad tracker in general. Stay away.

11. Moogle!

Moogle!

TFM wasn't meant to be a Genesis tracker to start with. I forgot which machine it was supposed to be for.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    YM2203, basically.

I adore it, honestly.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    I hate TFM for several reasons. But this isn't a thread about TFM so I'll go back on topic.
    The thing which is closest to a Genesis tracker is TµEE's music engine, though it's not public yet. From what I gathered, it consists of a tracker on the PC side in which you write your songs, which then get saved in a format replayable by said TµEE's engine on the Genesis.

14. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    My tracker has some semi-functional real HW control setup in it aswell (some additional HW is needed)... heavy bugs and lack of motivation prevent me from finishing things....