don't click here

TileMolester for Sonic hacking

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sonic Hachelle-Bee, Dec 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    Is there anyone interested or using TileMolester for their Sonic hacking needs? I do, and this little piece of Java crap finds to be somewhat useful when you are on MacOS X.

I recently had some fun with the TileMolester source code (latest v0.16), and with a bit of Java coding and a little time to spend, managed to add some tools in it. I'm finally posting this: maybe some of you, TileMolester users, will find them useful as well!

[​IMG]

1. TRANSPARENT SELECTION
    Maybe the most useful tool of all is the transparent selection. The regular selection found in TileMolester only replace all pixels that are below your selection with the ones you selected. This new tool takes care of the background color and didn't replace the pixels when they belong to the "background". It is like your selection has a "transparent" color. In the example shown before, I used the transparent selection to apply this pink mask to the green pattern and the wood, to make a small and nice looking ramp in no time!

2. BRUSH BY COLOR
    Sometimes, you only want to change a color by another inside a full pack of pixels. There already exists a color replacer tool in TileMiolester, but this new one let you brush freely for the pixels to replace instead of replacing them all. Let's say you want to draw a shadow on the wood. Instead of taking care of each pixel and replacing the colors one by one, you only have to choose a color and the one to be replaced, and brush all over your picture. Quick and easy. To do so, the foreground color is the new color, the background color is the color you wish to replace.

3. BRUSH EXCEPT COLOR
    This is the "opposite" of the brush by color tool. This tool allows you to brush freely with the foreground color, except on the selected background color, which does nothing. Useful when you want to draw freely without affecting some borders shape.

4. DITHERING BRUSH
    While drawing Sonic art, you often want to draw a dithering pattern. This task is also often boring and repetitive when you have to draw each pixel one by one, especially on large patterns or complex shapes. This tool works like the regular brush tool, except that it will draw only one pixel of two, as shown in the example before. You can make a complex dithering pattern in a few seconds.

5. DITHERING FLOOD FILL
    Same as the dithering brush tool, but this time it flood fills an entire surface with a dithering pattern. As shown in the example before, combining this with the transparent selection can let you do some cool things!

6. RANDOM FLOOD FILL
    Have you never experienced yourself trying to draw a pattern pixel by pixel so that it looks random? This time, this special flood fill tool will do that for you in a second. It draws an entire surface placing pixels randomly on it.

DOWNLOAD TileMolest... erm... SonicMolester 0.17a
    A bit of fun with the name as well :)

Includes JAR and source code for XCode. New french translation also available, as well as a default XML resource file to edit Genesis graphics.

Hope this will be useful for you.

2. ColinC10

ColinC10

Tech Member
    I haven't done much art editing, but when I do I tend to use TileMolester so I'm sure I'll get some use out of these new features next time. Thanks! :thumbsup:

3. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Uh, never used TileMolestor for anything else than the Spindash tutorial, so I kinda don't know how to edit art with it, better said, what stuff you need to set up. Help?

4. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but how does one GET to the art bin files in the disassembly with Tile Molester? The program doesn't like them at all. Do I have to decompress the bin files even further somehow? I could never figure out how these types of programs work.

5. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    I'm in the same boat - in fact, so much in the same boat that I pretty much quit Sonic hacking when I got to OS X because I could never figure out how to get Tile Molester to work right with the disassembled files.

6. You decompress them from their existing formats. Nemesis would need to be decompressed under Nemesis, and then recompressed once you're done, etc.

7. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    And we decompress with this?

Ok, did I do this right, in order to compile them all together in the Terminal?

Code (Text):
    1. g++ -o kosmac GetFileSize.cpp K-Compressor.cpp K-Decompressor.cpp
    Edit:
    You could have told me I could/had to rename it to .smd you know. Seriously, on the Mac the Genesis format option gets cut off because it is so long.
    Also that Fusion is the best to output .gs_ files for the palettes. This is well and good on Windows, but who knows if I can get this process working correctly on Mac.

Edit 2: Also reminding me that THIS existed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.