don't click here

Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force and Hellfire questions

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    THUNDER FORCE IV/LIGHTENING FORCE
    Does the game's music slow down randomly? Noticeable in game, apparently some songs break on the sound test?

HELLFIRE
    Does the game really play its music slower on a Model 2 in comparison to a Model 1?

Thanks.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've never noticed that myself. If it does indeed happen, it's barely noticeable. Some emulators show this fault while hitting certain enemies, but I believe it's been fixed in some of them. In fact, the bullet-hell portion of level 2 just slows down the gameplay, keeping the sound always playing at the right speed.

Also, the sound test has always worked perfectly for me. I have the PAL version, by the way.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    NTSC US version of Lightening Force. No slowdown and soundtest works fine on my end.

4. OT, but I love Lightening Force. It was my first shump ever I think.

5. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    lot of tunes intentionally slow down in TF4. What tunes in particular ?

Hellfire plays half speed on MD2, and MD1 with YM3438 plays no sound at all in that game (which means MD2 does not have a vanilla YM3438, and it most definitely does not have a YM2612).

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    Road Rash 2 does something similar too. When you start a race, or you end one, the music plays super fast for a half second.

7. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    This kind of effect I have not heard in TF4, at least not in EU version. One Omake tune does have some slowdown like seeming points in its intro but they are definitely intentional.

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Well what I'm noticing in emulators is that doing things like shooting bullets or just processing the usual amount of stuff on screen causes only the music to slow down... so IDK what's going on, but figuring out what's different may lead to emulators being more accurate? =P

How much slower is Hellfire MD2? The game uses Toaplan's custom sound driver which was used in a handful of other games (Truxton, James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing, Twin Hawk, and Fire Shark, with Hellfire coming between Twin Hawk and Fire Shark)... how do those respond?

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I can't find a single hint of sound slow down in Fusion =/

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Steve made that specific fix a while ago, shortly after I told him about it at the Sega Emulation Forums.

I think Genesis Plus has it fixed as well.

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Do you know what would fix it? Correct stop #$2500 handling? Or something else? I'll look through Genesis Plus GX revisions to see if that version added the fix in the meantime...

EDIT looked; I see two things - it accesses Z80 port $BF (????) and that VInt timings had to be "un-fixed" at some point to fix breaks in it and a few other games...

12. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Port $BF = VDP port in the Master System.

13. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    TF4: can you use controller 2 as controller 1? The controller input field was doing something weird and Jorge thinks it's doing that... Thanks.

Also is it just me or was Omake 10 used in some hack? because I can remember the opening from somwehre else...

14. TmEE

TmEE

Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    Yes you can play using either controller