don't click here

This Song Sounds Like X

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shadix, Aug 7, 2008.

1. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan

Came across it randomly, reminded me of this:

The intros sound quite similar.

2. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    These two songs by English (Leeds) gothic rock band "The Systers of Mercy" (one of my brothers is a huge fan) ...

have lots of similarities with Road Rash II Main Theme :

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  3. Papa Rafi

Papa Rafi

One on one, I wanna play that game toniiight ♪ Oldbie
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    Fatherhood, husband...hood and a few mobile apps.
    I see some relatively recent replies on here, so I'll bite:

I'm getting some major S&K Mini Boss vibes from this song by the S.O.S Band (one of favorite bands) starting at about 0:51:

And while this next song (from Rob & Fab of the Milli Vanilli scandal of all people) doesn't necessarily SOUND like anything, the selected part (0:24) sounds very Gen/MD-like and those snares at the same part, specifically sound very Sonic 1 & 2'ish:

4. Some have already come across this but here's a shot

Sonic Advance 2 Final Clear

Mega Man X2 Stage Start

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Level Zone Act

Level Zone Act

In the Sonic 3 prototype thread, @SEGACast said that the unused music from S3&K Collection and the prototype...

...sounds like "Something About You" by Level 42:

To me, the melody in the Sonic track's first ten seconds sounds like the chorus melody of the Manic Street Preachers' "Australia" (instrumental version at 0:07; repeated in the vocals at 1:07).

That had its album release in May 1996. Of course, Sonic and the Manics already had a connection before that...:eng101:

6. Powpuck

Powpuck

About six seconds in, does that bit from Queen's "Invisible Man" sound remarkably similar to the Special Stage warp SFX to anyone else?

edit: the bit fifty seconds in is perhaps even closer.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  7. Retroman

Retroman

I found a near identical version of the 'Go' sound effect from Sonic & Knuckles at 4:30

Actually no, it's not the same 'Go' effect since the source is a higher-pitch and has a Michael Jackson voice.

8. z.man II

z.man II

I think it’s been confirmed that the “go” sample came from a sample pack and wasn’t recorded by MJ.

9. Afro Thunder

Afro Thunder

Call Da Doctor! Member
    NS, Canada
    Trying to get outta Dr. Dre mode, and actually release an album.
    It's from Run-DMC's "Peter Piper." Nothing to do with MJ.

10. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

Some time ago, I read somewhere that Spring Yard was inspired by Toshiki Kadomatsu's "Lovin' You (Sawako)". Most everyone else I've mentioned it to say it's hard to hear, but speeding it up might make it a little more clear.

11. f2bnp

f2bnp

Gonna need some help with this one. Was listening to Hybrid Front's OST and this track caught my attention. I saw that it was also used in Sonic Megamix.

So, first off, at 0:04-0:08 you can listen to a small loop that I can't quite place. The entire track reminds me of Sonic Game Gear soundtracks and this loop in specific something with Knuckles. Any help?

Now, if you slow down the track to 0.5x, the main song loop that plays on the right channel (0:01-0:08) also reminds me of something else that I really am struggling to place. Again Sonic related.

One of the composers is Naofumi Hatayama, so I suppose I may be getting Sonic CD vibes or perhaps he used the same loop on one of the tracks there?

12. Hukos

Hukos

Take Splash Hill Act 1.

Now listen to this at around 00:58 to 1:20:

I can't unhear it.

• Like Like x 2
    • List

13. Don't these 2 sound alike?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member

15. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This has bothered me for quite some time, but I've always felt that these songs sounded similar, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it:

EDIT: Then there's this remix:

• List
  16. Vanishing Vision

Vanishing Vision

SA1's Speed Up jingle seems to take a bit from "Active Heart" the opening theme from "Aim for the Top! Gunbuster" (1:00 in).

17. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    First of all: The following song doesn't sound like Sonic at the slightest. It's just whenever I listen to it, I can't help but feel like I've heard it somewhere before. Check out minute 5:04...

That's right, it's the same melody as the bridge at 1:46 of Super Sonic Racing! Isn't that great?

In my headcanon, some fan of Sonic Rs soundtrack went to Koji Kondo or whoever wrote that piece of music and couldn't stop gushing about how awesome Super Sonic Racing is until he or she eventually included this section of the song.

I just had to share that. Because I think it's cool.

18. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Hey guys.. I don’t know if this was brought up but do you think Rihanna played some Sonic CD back in the day?? Lol this beat sure sounds familiar:

Rihanna- We Found Love

Sonic CD Collision Chaos Good Future (first 8 seconds)

19. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    That shit is a dead ringer. The heavy reverb on the drums and the guitar part being identical really sell it. LOL

Johnny Sundae was really watching Gunbuster out here. Good for him.

20. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    The bit at 0:04 sounds rhythmically similar to Turquoise Hill with an Underground Zone-ish bassline and very Game-Gear-sounding synths, plus a descending melody vaguely reminiscent of Metallic Madness. It's like SEGA's own uncanny valley