This noob has a noob question.

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by OKei, Jan 8, 2010.

1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    A while ago, I bought a 1GB stick and installed it into my PC. It's still working fine now, but now I'm about to install Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit and I don't have enough RAM to run it on. Because someone close to me insisted that I can have both a 512MB RAM and a 1GB RAM together installed into my PC (2006/2007-ish Compaq Presario SR2163wm), I did that and now I have both cards installed together into my PC as I type this. I should note that right now it only seems to detect the 1GB card. EDIT: Also, my PC doesn't detect the 1GB card as, well... "1GB". It's actually 894MB.

My main question is: If I combine two different RAM cards into my PC, will it add them together? Or do I not know what the bloody hell I'm talking about and I'm just about to ruin my PC?

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    No, it should add them together.

3. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Misfit
    RAM is combined no matter how many different modules you have. Now whether different types of RAM will combine I know not, that is if computers even have RAM slots for more than one type.

4. xdaniel

xdaniel

Some older mainboards had slots for both SD-RAM and DDR-RAM (don't know if there are any more modern ones with ex. DDR and DDR2 slots) but those couldn't be used together - it was either SD-RAM or DDR-RAM.

OKei: Do you have a dedicated graphics card or do you use on-board graphics? On-board graphics would at least explain why you're missing roughly 128MB of the 1GB, since that would be used as video memory.

5. <!--quoteo(post=393230:date=Jan 8 2010, 01:32 AM:name=OKei)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OKei @ Jan 8 2010, 01:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=393230">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A while ago, I bought a 1GB stick and installed it into my PC. It's still working fine now, but now I'm about to install Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit and I don't have enough RAM to run it on. Because someone close to me insisted that I can have both a 512MB RAM and a 1GB RAM together installed into my PC (2006/2007-ish Compaq Presario SR2163wm), I did that and now I have both cards installed together into my PC as I type this. I should note that right now it only seems to detect the 1GB card. EDIT: Also, my PC doesn't detect the 1GB card as, well... "1GB". It's actually 894MB.

My main question is: If I combine two different RAM cards into my PC, will it add them together? Or do I not know what the bloody hell I'm talking about and I'm just about to ruin my PC?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Yes it will add them.

Your PC doesn't detect both RAM sticks.

Possible reason: You are using two types: Double-sided and single-sided sticks in your PC. This can cause problems with certain BIOSs/Motherboards. A BIOS update might fix this issue.

Possible reason 2: Over time, the 512MB stick has died. Test your machine again with just the 512MB stick in. Do a Memory test if needed.

Possible reason 3: The RAMs have different speeds. Normally, your BIOS should clock both RAM sticks on the speed of the slowest one. It is possible that either the BIOS doesn't support that, or one of your RAM sticks doesn't support that specific speed. BIOS update might fix this.

2. the 1GB detected as 894MB can have two, maybe 3 reasons:

Reason 1: You're using an onboard graphics adapter that steals RAM for itself.
    Reason 2: A SMD component might have been accidently ripped from the RAM stick.
    Reason 3: one RAM chip or more from the stick are dead. Check with Memtest86 (google).

Cheers :)

6. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    <!--quoteo(post=393427:date=Jan 8 2010, 06:14 AM:name=xdaniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xdaniel @ Jan 8 2010, 06:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=393427">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->OKei: Do you have a dedicated graphics card or do you use on-board graphics? On-board graphics would at least explain why you're missing roughly 128MB of the 1GB, since that would be used as video memory.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->What do you mean by on-board and dedicated graphics? I haven't install any new graphics cards or anything like that, aside from the RAM.

<!--quoteo(post=393565:date=Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=393565">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Yes it will add them.

Your PC doesn't detect both RAM sticks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Cool, but just in case, in that sense I meant if it can add 1028MB and 512MB RAMs to 1536MB total?

<!--quoteo(post=393565:date=Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=393565">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Possible reason: You are using two types: Double-sided and single-sided sticks in your PC. This can cause problems with certain BIOSs/Motherboards. A BIOS update might fix this issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->How does that work and where can I update the BIOS?

<!--quoteo(post=393565:date=Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=393565">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Possible reason 2: Over time, the 512MB stick has died. Test your machine again with just the 512MB stick in. Do a Memory test if needed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That I'll do soon. You mean the "Memory Diagnostics Tool" right?

<!--quoteo(post=393565:date=Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=393565">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Possible reason 3: The RAMs have different speeds. Normally, your BIOS should clock both RAM sticks on the speed of the slowest one. It is possible that either the BIOS doesn't support that, or one of your RAM sticks doesn't support that specific speed. BIOS update might fix this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->This makes sense. I mean by what your saying, its sounds to me like a sort of incompatibility issue.

<!--quoteo(post=393565:date=Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=393565">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2. the 1GB detected as 894MB can have two, maybe 3 reasons:

Reason 1: You're using an onboard graphics adapter that steals RAM for itself.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    xdaniel had a reasonable point about the Graphics Card stealing some RAM, and it does make sense for it to take some RAM for operating purposes (at least to a casual like me), so I'm personally more inclined to believe this.

<!--quoteo(post=393565:date=Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 8 2010, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=393565">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reason 2: A SMD component might have been accidently ripped from the RAM stick.
    Reason 3: one RAM chip or more from the stick are dead. Check with Memtest86 (google).

Cheers :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the interest so far, guys. BTW, I just bought a 2GB RAM stick just in case, plus I wanted one for a while. But I am still open for help on this matter. I'm gonna go ahead and experiment.

EDIT: 8:32PM PST
    Alright, I did a "Memory Diagnostics Tool" with the 1GB stick. Nothing happened.

7. What do you mean, nothing happened? It crashed? Or did it not show any errors and passed?

By memory test I actually was implying using something "professional" like www.memtest86.org ;)

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cool, but just in case, in that sense I meant if it can add 1028MB and 512MB RAMs to 1536MB total?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

*1024 and yes, that works.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How does that work and where can I update the BIOS?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you tell me manufacturer & model number of the motherboard? I can guide you through it then.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That I'll do soon. You mean the "Memory Diagnostics Tool" right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See above.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This makes sense. I mean by what your saying, its sounds to me like a sort of incompatibility issue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Kind of. If your BIOS lacks the function, it will not work.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the interest so far, guys. BTW, I just bought a 2GB RAM stick just in case, plus I wanted one for a while. But I am still open for help on this matter. I'm gonna go ahead and experiment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you ensure the stick was of the same kind? (PC**** aka. DDR, PC2**** aka. DDR2, PC3**** aka DDR3)

Cheers :)

8. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    <!--quoteo(post=395847:date=Jan 14 2010, 11:34 AM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 14 2010, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=395847">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What do you mean, nothing happened? It crashed? Or did it not show any errors and passed?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->It booted up as normal, is what I was trying to say. I haven't actually tested them both again since I last replied.

<!--quoteo(post=395847:date=Jan 14 2010, 11:34 AM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 14 2010, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=395847">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By memory test I actually was implying using something "professional" like www.memtest86.org ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->I see. I'll try it again later.

<!--quoteo(post=395847:date=Jan 14 2010, 11:34 AM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 14 2010, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=395847">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you tell me manufacturer & model number of the motherboard? I can guide you through it then.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Hold on...<ul><li>Manufacturer: ECS</li><li>Motherboard Name: RC415ST-HM</li><li>HP/Compaq motherboard name: Alhena5-GL6</li></ul>Also, I thought I'd copy and paste this from "System Information".
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 5.14, 4/11/2007

<!--quoteo(post=395847:date=Jan 14 2010, 11:34 AM:name=Oerg866)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Oerg866 @ Jan 14 2010, 11:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=395847">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you ensure the stick was of the same kind? (PC**** aka. DDR, PC2**** aka. DDR2, PC3**** aka DDR3)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ehh... I purchased a CenDyne 2GB DDR2 RAM PC2-5300 240-Pin DIMM. I just learned through <a href="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00838771&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3339275" target="_blank">my PC manufacture's website</a> that my PC is PC-4200. I assumed that as long as it was DDR2 240-Pin, it would still be fine. After all, when I first bought the 1GB RAM, I never considered the PC**** part and it's still running just fine.

9. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    Doesn't the order that the RAM sticks are in make a difference? I know that if you don't put them in a certain order the machine won't boot (like, they have to be from highest to lowest capacity or something).

10. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Video Basement
    <!--quoteo(post=396757:date=Jan 16 2010, 06:12 AM:name=PicklePower)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PicklePower @ Jan 16 2010, 06:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=396757">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doesn't the order that the RAM sticks are in make a difference? I know that if you don't put them in a certain order the machine won't boot (like, they have to be from highest to lowest capacity or something).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, I put the 512MB RAM in first (on the left slot) and 1GB (on the right slot) afterwords and I'm not having any problems other than Task Manager counting both as 894MB, the same amount as the 1GB stick. =P

Any suggestions?