don't click here

This IS obsession!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by PsychoSk8r, Oct 15, 2008.

Is this obsession?

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    How many people who frequent these sites have an obsession, even if it is in the slightest, with sonic?
    I can say that I've had a pretty big obsession for most of my life. There still is rarely a day where I don't do something to do with sonic. What about you guys?
    Do you have an obsession?

2. Skaarg

Skaarg

I wouldn't call my active visiting this site a Sonic obsession. I would say that I just have a forum obsession since I check every forum I go to several times a day.

3. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    I tend to go through phases of caring and then just completely losing interest.

4. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    uhm... am I obsessed with Sonic? Not really anymore... but I'm pretty obsessed with Demyx...

I'd say this is worse still though

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I don't think I'm obsessed, but I know this person (whoever they are) is.

I found it while I was trying to find the Sonic 06 cut scene that appear to take place on the Windows XP "Bliss" desktop background.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I don't really know how to respond to this topic... I have a passion for Sonic, absolutely, and that drives me to keep coming back here day after day. I can't think of a reason to be here outside of Sonic. I don't play many video games anymore outside of Sonic, I practically engross myself in its design practices, analyzing how it works day after day; I've played a part in leading a heavily edited version of the original game, and I've reverse-engineered portions of the music format used in the games, as well as helped people make utilities to do the same thing.

Is it an obsession? I think in general, this community tends to draw people towards it like a magnet. So yes, I'd say it's an obsession, though not nearly to the level as your "TRUE SONIC FANS."

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I keep noticing that bits and pieces of the project I'm putting together for my Senior Thesis have a few parallels with the Sonic universe. There are three main characters, and the one who does the narration and is more or less the leader, has a mostly blue color scheme. The red guy is the only one who actually uses any sort of weapon, and the third one (who I purposely made green after realizing I where it was going) is their tech guy. He stays behind in their team van/command center, and builds new shit to aid his teammates.

The blue and red guys are actually ghosts though, and they can transform into "Ghoul Forms", specific to how they were killed. The blue was was drowned (lol) and thus can turn into a sort of water and ice monster (Chaos), and the red one was burned alive (therefore, he can become something akin to Iblis).

And I don't notice these parallels until after I've written/drawn these ideas.

I'm a fucked up person. But I guess it's not much different than Naka referencing Super Saiyans or the Death Star.

Sonic seems to have some sort of impact on my life, and I come back here to just...get more when I need it. I thrive on it...it gives me something to be attached to. Despite how much the newer games have let us down, I make an effort to make the best of it. I enjoyed Heroes, Shadow, and '06 for what they were: games in the Sonic The Hedgehog series. I'm just a loyal fan. I have been since I was five, and I don't intend to give that up anytime soon.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This is pretty much how I feel right here. While disappointed with some of the newer games I always come back for more. Even today I went out and bought a Genesis so I could own the originals.

I just love Sonic. The series has just been such a big part of my life.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm not obsessed. There are no characters locked in my closet. I'm not the wacko you're looking for. Have a nice day.

10. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    I prefer the term "Fanatic".

11. Machenstein

Machenstein

Well, define obsession. I'm not the kind of Sonic fan who collects merchandise and buys the games just because they're Sonic. I just want Sonic to succeed. I do try to maintain the integrity of the series (despite Sonic Team's every attempt to destroy it) but only because I see so much potential in Sonic. The Genesis games were so amazing and that was on 16-BIT hardware. Just think of what a competent developer could do with Sonic using today's technology and Yasuhara's game design philosophies. I firmly believe it can happen, but only in the hands of a competent developer who is willing to study the Genesis games and apply the things that made them so good.

I can settle for Sonic games that are simply fun too. The Sonic Rush games, for example, may not have much in common with the Genesis games, despite also being 2D, but I find them enjoyable in their own rights. That, however, is neither here nor there. I want Sonic to succeed because of all those fond memories the series provided for me and because it would be such a tragic disappointment if the potential were never tapped into. All those good concepts down the drain, and it would be all because of Sonic Team's several misguided attempts to "reinvent" the series and every gaming outlet's insistence to "kill Sonic off". Every oldschool gaming IP will remain comfortable being cute and/or retro, and Sega will continue to market Sonic as another extreme animal with attitude, a stigma that is keeping the masses from understanding the true appeal behind Sonic. This stigma, and a track record of years worth of shoddy, bargain bin games, have almost ensured that Sonic will never reach the status of a respected retro icon among the likes of which Mario and Megaman have achieved. That is why you see many 8-BIT Nintendo tributes in gaming culture... while Sonic fans get yet another scathing article about all the little things wrong with the series.

TL;DR version:

You could say I have an obsession, but not in the conventional "buy everything with Sonic's name on it" sense. There's no logical reason why I want Sonic to succeed other than the memories and because I'm the kind of guy who wants others to value the things I do. Sonic had this "Felix the Cat" charm I loved so much and I really wish someone could bring that back. Unfortunately Sega insists on marketing him as this "Crash Bandicoot" type character with a heavy emphasis on extreme sports and "butt rock" music which really takes away from the cute and retro factor, thus dimishing the aesthetic value. It doesn't help that the games have been generally shoddy as well. But I still see potential in Sonic, potential that Sonic will retain that oldschool charm and become a respected icon again. That's why I try not to harbor any ill will or contempt towards the series.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Keep in mind that the reason for this is simply that my closet doesn't actually have a lock on it.

13. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    Sonic? I just go through moments where I would like him to die and moments where I have a slight interest.
    I've never been obsessed by it, I don't even have the slightest bit of merchandise.
    I come here mostly for the forums, than anything else, and because every once in a while I like reverse engineering stuff.

14. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I am a fanatic I guess - I buy something with Sonic on, only if I think its cool. Saying that, I don't have much Sonic merch. Most of it is shit, but I have Sonic and Tails soft toys sitting on top of my DVD racks on my desk. Other than that, I unearthed some Sonic The Comic posters from when I was a kid that were hid behind wardrobes, I put them up ages ago and then moved my room around after. Now they are in very visible places. One Knuckles in his Sonic 3 Cover pose - Tails mid flight - and a rip out which has a feature on Sonic CD - it's only on the wall becuase it has a huge image of Sonic carrying Amy, and it just looks cool.

I listen to the music, regularly. They are on my 'favorite tracks' play list on my media player. Not all of them, but a few.

Is this obsession? I would say it is a minor one - I love the blue git. That doesn't mean I will buy the shite titles with his name on. If I was fully obsessed, I would buy anything with his name on it. I'm not that bad.

15. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    To everyone saying "I'm a fanatic".: Surprise, fan is short for fanatic, so we (mostly) all are by default :x.

also yes, I am obsessed, unhealthily so, I refresh the front page every 5 minutes on the minute.
    Sarcasm is cool.

In seriousness, though, I must be obsessed to weekly denounce the Sonic franchise but then come back to swallow more shit the next day.

16. I'm a huge fan, but I'm too into other things to be obsessed.

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I sort of am obsessed. When I was younger, like before 5 years old, I was really poor, my family could hardly afford food, most of the things we owned/ate came from dumpsters behind stores. When I was 5 we were able to get a bit of money, because my dad got a better job, so my parents saved up and got me a Genesis and Sonic 2. I basically played it all the time, to escape from the shitty-ness of my life. Because of that, I have like a mental dependency on Sonic, if anything in my life sucks at all, I turn to Sonic.

18. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I definitely used to be obsessed with Sonic - this was my 3rd (and largest) drawing pad, FULL of almost nothing but Sonic & Co. http://growler.deviantart.com/art/My-HUGE-...ng-pad-18160675

This is a typical type of drawings I'd doodle in there - all the way through it, basically (along with the odd 'Cool Zone' etc.): http://growler.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-ST...-FUN-01-5328203

Besides, nothing can be as obsessive as a German pop star marrying a pineapple!
    http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?G...p;in_page_id=34

The date shows [no pun intended] this is *not* an April fools joke o_O

19. No. My stupid amount of useless knowledge and involvement is reserved soley for Gundam.

11 year old me, yes. Not anymore.

20. Ritchie Ramone

Ritchie Ramone

A large portion of my childhood (from the time I was 6 to around 13) was spent playing the original Genesis Sonic games. I was lucky enough to be introduced to the series pre-Sonic Adventure. After SA2, I lost interest but continued playing the older games for that nostalgic feeling. I guess I would call this in general an obsession (this IS a site centered around Sonic, after all), and it's far from a bad thing, in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.