don't click here

Things in Sonic Games you misinterpreted when you were younger...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ollie, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    I must be dumb as bricks as well... I like that show too... :specialed:

2. tuddy

tuddy

Count another member for the dumb as bricks club, a member who owns the complete series on DVD. :specialed:

3. SilverstepP

SilverstepP

Now with twice the sprites. Member
    North Carolina
    STILL trying to get these damn spam bots off the Open Sonic forum.
    Yes. :specialed:

4. Hanyou

Hanyou

I thought the show was pretty universally considered to be crap. XD I guess the problem is that I'm not familiar with the Sonic community...everyone I've talked to up till now thinks it's Gigli/Last Airbender/Revenge of the Fallen-level awful.

Addendum: I thought Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was THE definitive Sonic show, and SatAM was a horrible ripoff.

Also, if Adventures was a good show, it wasn't good "just because it had Sonic in it." I think it's fair to say I've been saved by my own sentence structure. ;)

EDIT: There's an element of truth to all that, by the way. I didn't enjoy the show, I didn't think its plotlines were interesting and it never made me laugh, yet I continued to watch it. It's the same sort of imitative behavior I showed when I tried chili dogs for the first time just (!) because Sonic liked them. My reasons for latching on to the show made me "dumb as bricks"; if someone who enjoys the show watches it, they're not wasting their time.

Conversely, I liked what little I saw of SatAM but dismissed it because it didn't "feel like Sonic" and I assumed the other show came first. How Adventures "felt" any more like Sonic is beyond me.

I didn't plan on explaining myself quite to this extent, but since AoStH apparently has a huge fanbase here, it seems to be a necessity. ;)

5. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The catch with AoStH is that everybody expects it to be childish. Also, it doesn't try to do weird things with Sonic. Sure, his attitude may have been dumbed due to the target public, but he's still a cool hedgehog that's ready to kick Robotnik's ass and destroy his lastest plan. Oh, that and the fact that there isn't much of a storyline really, with the exception of the four episodes with the Chaos Emeralds.

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was a crappy show but I used to like it when I was younger. Judging by the quality of the backgrounds and the mass amount of episodes made, I just assume it was a very low budget show so I'm not too harsh on the art style. However, that's no excuse for the shitty writing. :| I wish they didn't make the intelligence of the show so dumbed down. It would have seriously helped make it a much better show. The only thing I can think of that the show did okay was Tails' voice actor. While far from perfect, he sounds much better than the person who currently voice acts him. His best voice actor is definitely the person who voiced him in SatAM but his AoStH actor is decent. If the '90s Sonic cartoons can find decent actors, why can't Sonic Team find a decent voice actor for Tails? :|

That reminds me how I used to have my mom buy me orange soda because of the show Kenan & Kel. >_>

7. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    the Chaos Emerald 4 part special was pretty good for AoStH, it was the only time they tried to be "serious"

8. AoStH is still my favorite Sonic show, even though I only saw it for the first time about 5 years ago. Don't forget, if we didn't have Adventures we wouldn't have all that glorious material for YouTube poop.

EDIT: Well, I just learned something the hard way.

9. Kaepora

Kaepora

Genesis Square Wave Member
    I used to think Robotnik was an ogre :<

10. The dreaded barrel also caused me a great deal of suffering back in the day.
    I then read how to actually do it a few years ago. :argh:

I also used to think Tails was a girl, and that Gamma was a douche for killing his brothers. :rolleyes:

11. Uncle Otis

Uncle Otis

Uses too many goddamn commas Member
    [​IMG]

"USELESS BIKINI MODELS!!!"

I thought he was lobbing disparaging remarks at Rouge for some reason.

12. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Everyone I've ever talked to always seem to misunderstand what Omega says. I think it's because people always associate "model" with "fashion model" first, or something.

It's supposed to be "Worthless consumer models!", referring to Eggman's robots. I think.

13. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    Hello, for some reason I also thought that Eggrobo was an armor for Robotnik, mainly because his head follows the shape of his belly. Back then in the nineties I even made an Eggrobo with Lego bricks and put a Lego guy in which had a head with a mustache. Eggrobo is still my favourite badnik today because this armor idea, and the fact it looked like Robotnik anyway, made him special among the other enemies.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Using him for knuckes' bosses makes me think of him as a robot side-kick for Robotnik and a replacement for when he can't do it himself. That's what makes him stand out to me.

15. Bozuit

Bozuit

UK
    I was also stuck on that barrel in CNZ for a long, long time. It was very frustrating. I wonder if it was even intended to be a challenge...

I used to think the final boss of Sonic 2 was the "Death Egg", rather than the whole space station thing.

Also I only worked out in the last 5 years or so what that little slideshow thing at the end of Sonic 2 was supposed to be. Before that I could only assume it was Sonic's memories of Tails and that he thought he was dead or something.

EDIT: I also only got "Miles Prower" recently.

16. ShenziSixaxis

ShenziSixaxis

I used to think Shadow was Sonic's brother. NO IDEA whatsoever why, but that may be because I was introduced to the new Sonic with Sonic Battle. :eng101: I also used to think Amy was Sonic's sister, but quickly discovered this was wrong when I got to some point of the game's story.

And of COURSE I had issues with the CNZA2 barrel. I don't remember exactly what happened, but the third or fourth time around, I was jumping like usual trying to get past it (never passed it by jumping), I hit the d-pad and noticed something weird with the physics, and thus discovered how to get passed. Boy did I feel stupid.

I never really understood why Tails was called 'Tails' but had "Miles 'Tails' Prower" in Sonic 2 just before the title screen. Sonic is just Sonic, so I wondered why Tails wasn't just Tails. And then I also thought Tails was a girl was Sonic's girlfriend. :ohdear:

I don't remember anything weird about Knuckles or Eggman, but I always wondered why Knuckles was pinkish. And why he didn't have ears.
    Okay, I actually still wonder that last thing. o.O

17. Megane

Megane

PONY TIME Member
    Leaping through time, putting things right that once went wrong, and hoping each time that the next leap will be the leap home.
    I thought Rouge was Amy in disguise before playing Sonic Adventure 2. For some damned reason in my ten-year-old mind, the thought of more than one female cast member was ridiculous.

18. Ben2k9

Ben2k9

We stand to Fight Oldbie
    Manchester, UK
    none at the mo
    Take the "tails" out. What do you get? go on say it, Miles Prower. Miles per hour. Yes, I only got it a couple of years back.

19. TheGreen1

TheGreen1

Basically, Sonic 2 and the unknown music that I now know to be the level music for Hidden Palace Zone. I was confused, and I'll be honest, irritated by the music. I couldn't find it, but that tune was kinda irritating, and that's putting it mildly.

And Sonic 3, Carnival Night Zone. That stupid fucking rotating lift in the second level that for days would cock-block me from getting to Ice Cap Zone. I tried jumping on it and everything, and it wouldn't budge. Then, I found out I had to keep pressing up and down to get it to move enough so I could get off.

And last but not least, Sonic 2 for the game gear. The first boss. It plagued me for years. Robotnik could have just let me fall to my death, and it would have been more merciful. But no, he sticks me in that crab boss which I have no fucking idea how to beat, until it dawns on me weeks later that I have to jump over the fucking objects that keep coming down.

Now, the biggest WTF moment, was in Sonic 3, where I was fighting Robotnik and his arms of doom as Super Sonic. I think I'm invincible, then Robotnik grabs me with his hands, and slams me onto the floor and bam I'm not super anymore. I was pissed.

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I was convinced that there had to be a way to make Tails fly in Sonic 2. Whatever method I kept hearing about from friends had to do with Tails breaking a sneaker monitor, and then some sort of button combination, but we all know Tails (while playing as 'Sonic & Tails' of course) couldn't break them open. Then Sonic 3 came out and I didn't really care anymore. Mind you I didn't own a Genesis until like '96 and up until that point rented them or played at friends' houses.

Another kid once told me (in Kindergarten I think it was) that when the robots killed Sonic, sometimes they sliced open his throat and whatever came out looked like lasagna.

Looking back, that kid had a fucked up imagination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.