don't click here

There's Something About Tails [unofficial topic]

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Blastfrog, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Mostly ProjectDarkFox's project, but I've been the only one developing it for the past year (I'm the co-developer). Anyway, I figured I'd post it here just to see what people at Retro think.

So, this is a game about someone named Jake Pryde, in the Mechwarrior universe. He is killed in his mech, and suddenly wakes up as Tails at age 12 in an underground base of the Freedom Fighters.
    It's using a heavily modified Doom engine (ZDoom), and will have an open ended world with interconnected maps (like Half-Life).

It's all based on a sprite comic (not a sprite comic anymore, it recently switched to being drawn instead). It would explain the backstory a lot better than I could:
    http://www.treadhead.net/tsat/tsatmaincomic.htm

It's story will be slightly different than the comic, and it will have branching story lines based on player decisions.

Here's the most recent trailer for it, but keep in mind, it's outdated, and many things have been updated since.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7LIe00xnS8[/youtube]

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/JSdsz

2. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    ...the fuck?

Goofy-ass story aside, I like the idea of an open-world Doom mod with branching storylines. Can we get a demo?

EDIT: This is a neat little comic too, I'm enjoying it.

3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    I remember this comic. Fun stuff. (and by fun I mean slightly disturbing.) I'll have to try this out.

I thought it was only available on the Mystical Forest Zone.

4. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Dammit. Someone let Tombstone in the game. Way to emphasize the comedy aspect of the series.

5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    Am I the only one who noticed that Jake is holding the gun with his right hand but it is on the left side?

6. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Holy shit.

At first I thought it was just going to be about Tails going insane or being forced to fight off the hordes of hell because he saw it coming a year in advance. That would've been enough to put me in the mood, but I guess I'll just read the comic.

Looking forward to playing this. You can't not enjoy playing as Tails as a hostile DooM-era gun-toter.

EDIT: Just finished reading the comic. Dark! And horny apparently. Now I'll have to get into the Mechwarrior series.

7. InstantSonic

InstantSonic

Just add water! Oldbie
    I am in awe.

8. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Shame. Does that mean the project is bunk?

Also, ya wanna talk about it?

9. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    After resolving some internal drama, I'm back on the project.

Anyway, we need voice actors. I was wondering if anyone here would like to help out. We need voices for Tails (sounding like he's at 12 years of age), Sally, and Amy. Contact me via PM if interested.

EDIT: "Unless the ZDoom engine you got is more flexible." Oh, believe me it is. Easily the most advanced Doom based engine around, not kidding. You can read it's wiki to see how powerful it really is compared to the original Doom engine, which is extremely primitive compared to ZDoom: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

EDIT 2: "By that I assume old Tails has a voice actor already?" Yeah, PDF is the voice actor for him. (in fact, Jake is based on PDF)

EDIT 3: Voice acting has been cancelled. PDF and I agreed it's too hard to find decent voice actors. Sorry.

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    By that I assume old Tails has a voice actor already? Darn. Well, if any more, er, masculine sounding characters need a voice I might be able to lend a hand.

11. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    That comic was nothing short of amazing. Hope to see this actually finishes, it looks like it could become a really fun game.

I am sold, I cannot wait to see a demo for this. Just curious but is that comic still being worked on?

Edit: I am also wondering if you can give us any insight on what kind of generic *enemies* you have in store for this game? From seeing the comic I can really only see two types of enemies and a bunch of different bosses. Futhermore how will you go about all this? I am just concerned because as a player of various Doom Hacks I know that the engine is very limited. As in from what I've seen you can't add or remove anything from the game just the values. For example in this hack the maker had so many enemy types that he had to change the Plasma ammo type to his Eggman enemy type. By the looks of it your game has/will have quite a few boss fights so I am just wondering how you might possibly get around this limitation. Unless the ZDoom engine you got is more flexible.

Edit 2: Ah my apologies I posted before checking out the vid, mainly just Marines equipped with different weapons and colors to represent them as your main foes. Definitely looks like an interesting game.

Edit 3:
    Damn... that does look good. I'm suprised other hacks don't use this.
    WOW! Just found the page about your hack on there, upgrades in Doom!?!? Excuse me???
    Almost stunning! Best of luck to you on this, I'll certainly be watching.

12. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Good to hear everything worked out!

13. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    Trying not to pester you too much but I must ask, for this game does PDF have any intentions of various difficulty settings much like the basic Doom ones? I don't know how ZDoom works as I've never heard of it so excuse my lack of knowledge. I could see this game getting into some serious strategy builds if you can only get certain upgrades and the likes on an extremely hard difficulty that makes it absolutely necessary to choose the right one for the next mission. If not I can see this game is challenging enough as it is, for example did that Marine @ 1:38 of the video really deal 36 points of damage in one shell considering the max health is 50? Ouch! I'm assuming he had a shotgun but to take more than one shell to kill even with the regeneration system that was spoken of on the forums that's tough, and I love it ;) Although after watching that video I am worried about how the normal Doom AI might affect your enemies, it doesn't seem to be going too well as I see a lot of the guys just running around aimlessly while you slaughter them. Much like the armed zombies in Doom that occasionally shoot you. This is most evident at 0:11 - 0:28 and 0:38 - 0:45, hope that helps in some way.

I also understand that it is indeed older so my concerns might have already been fixed but it's good to atleast bring it up incase not.

14. Blackhearted Knight

Blackhearted Knight

Wolfsbane706 Member
    CO
    Reading the comic, at current. I'm actually curious to know what kind of BattleMech Jake was piloting when he "died". At Year 3232, though, I'm not too sure if any will actually be available. Since he mentioned the Inner Sphere, you should probably knock back the date to at least 3055, during the Clan Invasion. For the sake of accuracy anyways. I'm liking the concept and the story so far, and I look forward to more. Shoot, the webcomic alone makes it worth it.

15. Wind

Wind

Oh wow I never knew there was a game for this comic in till now. It looks very interesting and I can't wait to see how it plays for myself.

I'm just wondering, will it have online gameplay? This is running on the Doom engine...

16. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    Interesting... maybe this deserves a server on ZDaemon for testing sometime? ;)

17. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Addressing everyone here.

Difficulty settings are in, of course. Believe me when I say that ZDoom is so much more capable than the original engine, any concerns with how well this game will work with the Doom engine are probably irrelevant; ZDoom is loads more capable. When it comes to AI, I dunno if we can change that, though. I mean, it is possible to code new AI, but neither PDF or I really have the skill or patience to do it.

Don't ask me any questions about the story: I'm not the one writing it, and I'm not too familiar with all of the nuances and details of it anyway. If anyone wants to know anything about the story, try contacting PDF instead.

I haven't confirmed this with PDF, but from the looks of things, this is only going to be a single player project. I might try to convince him to add co-op to Invasion mode, though, but don't count on it. ZDoom is mostly a singleplayer port. While it can do multiplayer, it's based on a much older peer-to-peer LAN architecture, not modern internet-based client-server.

Err, no... A few things about that. First off, ZDaemon's community is a cesspool of retarded shit and drama, and the rest of the Doom community hates them for the shit they pull all the time. (just recently, a few of their fanboys were trolling the Doomworld forums in yet another heated debate over the port) The thread starts out calm enough, but it turns into a real shit-fest within the first few pages. Link: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/56234-zdaemon-turns-109-today/

Besides that, while ZDaemon is based on ZDoom, you do realize that it forked off like almost a decade ago, right? ZDaemon is extremely primitive compared to how ZDoom is nowadays, it's almost a completely different engine. Skulltag is a port that is based on a much more current build of ZDoom, but even it's starting to fall behind...

Trust me, anything made for ZDoom since at least 2005 (especially starting 2007) doesn't have a chance in hell of running on ZDaemon (without some serious stripping-down), it's just too outdated. ZDaemon still relies heavily on DeHacked, something that's been abandoned for years in ZDoom, Decorate and ACS are far more capable. As I said, the engines are incompatible now, since they've branched years ago.

If there is any multiplayer aspect of the game, I doubt PDF wants to be involved, and it would more likely be a semi/un-official branch of the mod by me for Skulltag. And I don't even care about it that much, so don't expect it.

18. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    I don't really pay much attention to the "community" around it... I don't visit the forums or anything, just jump onto servers and play. And yeah, I know it forked, but I've seen some semi-modern mods played on it, so I wasn't sure about that.

19. Project Dark Fox

Project Dark Fox

Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant Member
    Lexington, NC USA
    There's Something About Tails, a ZDoom mod
    Hello! I'm here to answer the questions Sodaholic couldn't answer. :)

It is also on an offshoot site, Treadhead Studios. I will be trying to release the mod to as many places as possible, including The Mystical Forest Zone (if Kajin allows me to), Treadhead Studios, as well as Doomworld /idgames.

This is just bad art in action. I am in the process of completely redoing those sprites.

Not at this time. Once the demo is released, work on the comic will resume.

Later on there'll be more than just Marines to shoot.

One should never underestimate the power of ZDoom. ;) As a bigger plus, no hacking of the engine has been done. Everything is "external" and in the WAD. Or rather, the PK3.

I actually picked a time that far in the future because I was young and not that well versed in the BattleTech universe. The BTech fanfic is much older than TSAT itself, and as a result, MechWarrior: Dark Age is actually newer than it. I still wound up picking a time ahead of THAT, and started referencing the "Age of Destruction" more and more.
    But I also picked the 33rd century because I wasn't aware of any serious genetic science going on in the 31st/32nd. There was, I did find out later, but nothing on such a significant scale as to breed super-soldiers...
    The 'Mech Jake was in was actually a custom model designed by himself. See [this article] on Treadhead about the RF2-O Red Fox II.

This will be incompatible with Skulltag and ZDaemon. However, there has been consideration to make an "official" and near-canon Deathmatch mod, and a canon Cooperative mod.

20. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Cool. Welcome to Retro, you two. Best of luck on the project and the comic, I'm looking forward to it.

Not that I'm ready to offer vocal auditions, but have you sorted out the voice actors yet?