don't click here

There are more to it than just emulationperfection

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LOst, Dec 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    On hardware, very wierd things may happen when you write to the VDP. Some of you have forgotten that Sonic runs on the Genesis originally, and not in Gens. One of the biggest pain in Sonic is the water. Both in Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, dirty pixels are appearing at the title card in a water level. I found a way to remove them. I will use this technology in my upcomming hacks.

Here is a visual fix that I managed to put into Game Genie to show you on real hardware. This is Megadrive Sonic 1 US PAL:
    http://www.kund.hemmanet.se/~lost/lzfix.avi

You may need Windows Media 9 codec.
    Thanks to LocalH to give me a way to make the Genesis output almost perfect.

2. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Ooh, very nice. I'd be interested in seeing this on real NTSC hardware myself.

3. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    I don't understand, I don't recall this... Could you describe it more?

4. The Mighty Boosh

The Mighty Boosh

Stupid like a FOX! Member
    On water levels, when the title card shows, white pixels are visible at the bottom of the title card.

I think this is what LOst is referring to (and fixed with the use of a game genie)

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Most of my TVs cut off the bottom lines, so I never noticed this.

6. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    That's probably why Naka never fixed the problem. When I saw the output of Fiz's Genesis, I realized that NTSC cuts the borders totally. THat's also why Rika made his hoax that way.

As for LocalH. Game Genie has many limits, as I needed all the code slots to make this fix, it didn't work under water. Because I had to remove code where I inserted the new code. In my hacks I have a perfect fix. You will see this when I am done fixing the rest of the water bugs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.