don't click here

The Werehog may return.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by OSM, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    The Werehog is a stupid gimmick put in to make the game longer. I see it as nothing else but that.

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    That's correct, (I think it was) Hashimoto was asked at E3 why they didn't just make a game were it was just 100% Sonic, and he said that the game would be too short if they did that, that's why all the stuff that isn't the day stages is in the game. They need to start over from the beginning with their attempts to bring Sonic into 3D.

Damn it!

3. The enemies aren't to laid out, and the system kinda reminds me of God-of-War. It's a fun little diversion and I just don't get why people honestly hate it that much. Cut Unleashed a break. I like bashing up robots, and the werehog has a little bit of speed to him too.

I think it's an excellent idea to bring it back.

4. Phos

Phos

The first few Werehog levels aren't terrible. Chun-Nan and all the ones that come after it are just a pain.

5. I didn't really think so, Chun-Nan is excellently designed.

6. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I think the Werehog got the platforming aspect down, but it severely killed the quick paced momentum Sonic's stages had.

If they find a way to mesh the two together it could probably work out better.

7. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    So I was observing this one interesting contradiction...

The guy saying this shit said:
    But it's interesting to note that we had known about this game and the werehog for over a year when the game had come out. It had been stated that the game was already in development before finishing development on Sonic 2006 when we learned about the game in the first place, and it was insisted that this was going to be the game they didn't ham up by shoving it out the door as though they were trying to build Rome in a day. And yet for some reason, they didn't have time and resources for the shit? If you ask me, devoting any resources to it at all was a mistake. And that remains true for most people who played the 360 version (especially the reviewers) and it is exceptionally true for the Wii version. Nobody asked for it, nobody responded well to it, and very few ended up enjoying it, most of whom would much rather have had that much more Sonic game. Who knows, maybe some levels that actually weren't simply slapping the same stuff that has been in use since Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes into every single level. And yet this dude has the balls to say they didn't have enough time and resources. They can't have it both ways. Either this was just another game that they shoved out the door or Werehog was simply a failure in its own right. I opt for the latter.

EDIT: As for my own opinion, I think Werehog was a pile of ass by design. They wanted players to have to moan over the majority of the game as a means of making people grateful when they play something more firmly on the side of mediocre and out of the way of psychotic boredom.

8. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    From what I heard a huge chunk of Unleashed is just recycled material from 06 itself, so that's an easy excuse to say this game was being made for such a long time.

Doesn't help only about 40% of the game was playable or even enjoyable, everything besides the Daytime stages I completely despise. I would like to see some more platforming instead of RUNNING RUNNING RUNNING next time though. Knowing SEGA they'll make a new stupid character or gimmick and follow the Werehog route again with something a bit different and still keep the same agonizing game play.

9. Phos

Phos

That was made up by that /v/tard pretending to work for Sega. There's no way the engine for 06 became the Hedgehog engine.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    :)

11. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    <!--quoteo(post=285841:date=Mar 2 2009, 09:56 PM:name=Phos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phos @ Mar 2 2009, 09:56 PM) [​IMG]

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Wentos was never proven wrong nor was he ever proven right.

Phos is just an internet tough guy.

13. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Well, I'm hoping he was right. He said SEGA was very much aware of the Werehog being a failure and they'll probably take a more "platform heavy" approach next time.

I would like to believe this is the case, but SEGA is too retarded to take seriously sometimes. When stories like this pop up I have reason to doubt their credibility and intelligence. :)

14. Phos

Phos

Wentos claimed that Unleashed was the "real" 06. The problem with that was that the game design, art direction, and engine were 100% different. They share very few people in common. He also said that the Werehog was NOT coming back, if it turns out that it does, that's the last nail in the coffin.

He was also trying to remain anonymous, but claimed he was the one to suggest the "Tails is a girl" joke.

15. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
  16. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  17. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Love how they have yet to connect the comment is by:

1) Someone who didn't even work on the game, but rather its more lackluster Wii brother (WITH SWORDZ!1... this one is staring everyone in the face.)
    2) way of an article that admittedly from the source had a hard time being translated properly and clearly.

But whatever, let Kotaku's commentators once again prove how daft they are.

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    But I love reading about Bashcraft's adventures in parenting every now and then.

19. corneliab

corneliab

Kotaku: durr hurr hate (Clear enough for you, moderators? :) )

Pretty much every site out there is blowing up over this interview, despite the fact that it's coming from the producer of a spinoff title, of whom who had no involvement in Unleashed. Additionally, the whole thing comes off as awkward and contradictory, which is probably due to poor translation, as is mentioned.

I've seen websites that are rarely updated sporting this interview as if it's some big, official decision, when it really isn't.

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Exactly, there's no real confirmation for anything in there. I can see him returning in a Riders game, but not in the next "main series" game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.