don't click here

The Truth About Dust Hill Zone

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Tweaker, Sep 13, 2008.

1. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    No.

ICEknight: And by the way, we're not even sure if it was just one level with a palette change in the middle or two separate, but similar, zones like Emerald Hill / Hill Top.

Tim Skelly: There would have been two separate zones, spaced far enough apart so that the player wouldn't notice the repetition of the art.

http://info.sonicretro.org/Tim_Skelly_inte...t_(August_2004)

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Ah, okay. That clears that up for me.

3. Wetflame

Wetflame

:D Banned
  4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'd say that might be the reason that they kept the GHZ art in the NA build we have (and then they got rid of it because there was already EHZ and HTZ), but then it could also just be that they never bothered to get rid of it while making new art (and not intending to put anything like GHZ in the new game).

EDIT: Attempted to clarify -- I didn't think this was worded very well.

5. MK

MK

Hacker Oldbie
    New England, USA
    Secret :o o:
    Haha, I forgot about that Neo Green H??? image. Yeah, maybe it was yet another mystery.

6. Wetflame

Wetflame

I think you're kind of missing the point here. The whole reason I pushed for this was to prove that theories and the ways of Ye Olde Area51 weren't all childish nonsense. Reasoning can be as important as evidence. Evidence has to be interpreted, anyway. You need both.

That, and because of dust hill guy. I mean, man, Mystic Caves doesn't make me think of the Noble Guy Patrick May at all. But Dust Hill, the desert level, has a big CACTUS in it. Man yeeeeeahhh.

CLOCK ORK ZONE

7. dust hill resident

dust hill resident

Oldbie
    London
    Making music
    BIG PENIS. I always thought that "dust hill" didn't fit mystic cave at all. I knew that the combination wasn't intentional.

8. Taylor

Taylor

I never really cared much for what "Dust Hill Zone" was used for anyway.

But cool, I guess.

9. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I'll say it first, Wetflame I apologize for arguing with you the other day and if I offended you. For what it's worth, I always thought it was silly that we didn't call the Desert Zone Dust Hill. Want Proof?

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...mp;hl=dust+hill
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?sho...mp;hl=dust+hill

I hated having to accept that. I'm so glad we can go back to calling it Dust Hill. You were right, I sure wish I had stuck to my guns like you had but I just didn't have the balls to go against the crowd.

As I also said it makes sense that those magazines would call it Dust Hill because that's what was in the ROM.

And if anyone double backs on this, I'll be pissed.

10. Shade

Shade

Called it.

Fucking FACE. :colbert:

Excellent stuff, lads. The age old debate is finally put to rest.

11. Metal Man88

Metal Man88

Time Traveller Oldbie
    Got dangit. The time the community convinces me not to call it that, they then discover it is called that.

Although I rarely talked about it anyway, and IMO, Desert Zone, Dust Hill Zone... whatever you call it, what I really would want to see is if it was ever implemented.

I would bet that it was originally in the slot where Mystic Caves was; and yes, it does seem like some aspects of Oil Ocean could have formed from its detritus.

I guess the moral of this story is, don't assume any one 'fact' is 100% correct until it's been verified by one or more relevant SEGA employees...

12. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Heh, Wetfames ePenis is gonna be huge =P

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    He, um, already posted a few times and it isn't?

This isn't about epenis, you know—it's about finding out the truth. Which we did. I'm fully willing to admit I was wrong in my arguments, because I was. It's not the end of the world, just the beginning of a new way of thinking.

14. Wetflame

Wetflame

lol

15. Rob Jinnai

Rob Jinnai

Not really master of theory debunking anymore Tech Member
    Custom Game Engine Prototypes
    Re: Neo Green Hill <==> Aquatic Ruin

At least "Neo Green Hill" sounds applicable to the given level. I can totally see Emerald Hill as the redesign for Green Hill, and Neo Green Hill being some continuation of that. Why they would do that I don't know (and obviously decided not to.) Whether it's time travel or just somebody on the team said "Hey, let's do Green Hill twice, but the second time more awesome" I don't know.

16. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    But with this most recent information, how can we be sure? =P

17. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    To me, Neo Green Hill Zone was never anything other than Aquatic Ruin Zone.

As for Dust Hill/Desert Zone, I'll keep calling it Sabaku Zone. ^_^

18. Shade

Shade

If I may be so bold, I'm of the opinion "Neo Green Hill" could be a name they tossed around for possible time travel related zones? Probably not, since those tended to have placeholder names like "Wood" zone and "Desert" zone, etc.

But, food for thought.

19. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Well, people'll be talking about this for weeks.

Or not, I'm not psychic :colbert:

20. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    I love how everyone is going "I KNEW IT!"