don't click here

The Time Attack returns

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Betaman, May 6, 2011.

1. Betaman

Betaman

Sonic the Hedgehog Time Attacked was an amazing game at its release. After the release of the controversial swan song of classic clickteam, Sonic: the Fast Revelation, it seemed that Jamie Bailey had released ANOTHER classic game for us to play that was actually fun.

This is a resurrection of that game.

I have been talking to Jamie Bailey(and taliking a little bit to Blazehedgehog discussing how to contact Jamie.) about this, and he gave me the big OK to start working on a remake for the 20th Anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as the 8th anniversary of the fangame's release. Being a remake, I don't expect to make it as good as the original, but I hope to make this as close as I can to the original, being made in Game Maker rather than MMF.

Now, in these discussions with Jamie, I was told about some unfavorable things that he would have changed in game, one of those being the act long ship and drill machine gimmicks. I understand that talking about this would cause some fans of the original game to panic, for fear that I will absolutely destroy this remake and make the original look bad because of this. This is (partially) not true. As I have said before, while I cannot emulate the game perfectly, I will try to make it as close as I can while eliminating bugs and adding things that were meant to be in the original.

A list of things that will be changed are provided here:

1. The gimmick levels

Yes, I am shortening the gimmick levels so that they do not take up one full act, taking up a small part of the act instead.

2. Past Sonic's levels SPOILER ALERT WARNING

Bailey said that I could tweak some stuff in the game. To me(and to some other people I'm SURE OF THIS.), the past version was way too short, only taking up one zone before the diabolical plot unfolds and Sonic is offed in the past. I have extended this past time zone to three zones rather than just one, explaining how Robotnik found Tails, and adding more length to the game as a whole. The new levels will include a dense forest and a scrap brain zone-esque base with traps galore.

3. Other Monitors
    Again, while discussing with Bailey, I was told that one addition that would be a good idea is the addition of other power up monitors.
    The original had Ring and 1-up monitors. This remake will add in Shield, Speed Shoe, and Invincibility monitors. Don't let the fact that I'm using an engine fool you with this, I've added in some great effects that allow the invincibility and shields to be as accurate as possible to the ones found on Megadrive titles.

4. The possibility of a Special Stage and Super Sonic
    Yes, I MIGHT add that in as a bonus, but don't get your hopes up, I'm still debating on whether to add this feature in. I have tested it, and Super Sonic does work with a cycling palette, speed and invincibility, the ability to jump high, and the ability to do moves normal Sonic cannot (Such as a jump dash, and a ring dash move.)

5. Bonus content
    I will be replacing almost all of the bonus content due to multiple reasons.(Specifically, the SAGE level because it's outdated and needs to be updated for the new SAGE; the Evolution levels, as I didn't work on the game from those levels first like Bailey did; and the Christmas levels are being replaced with new christmas levels, as well as other holiday themed events that react to the date on your computer!) I'm keeping in Marathon mode and the Beginning level, as well as an updated SAGE level.

Now that we have all that sorted out, screenshot time!

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n608/B...imeAttacked.png
    This is the original background that will also be used in game. Credit to Jamie Bailey for the original image.

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n608/B...Lightspeed1.png
    A picture of Sonic in the beta Lightspeed Park Zone.

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n608/B...Lightspeed2.png
    This is one of the giant ferris wheels that are abundant in the zone.

NOTE!!!! The only things that are OFFICIAL are Sonic's design, the core engine and a small part of the HUD. All of the rest is subject to change, so if you don't like it, don't turn away, it may change.

I cannot give a playable demo yet because of modifications I am making to it for the link system, and some other small errors in gameplay that need to be ironed out. However, I hope that these pictures are enough to tide you over until I can post a video or the demo.
    Feel free to give constructive criticism, but please do not completely trash this game, as you have only been able to see pictures of it so far. If you don't like it, you don't have to post.

EDIT: had to change the links because it wouldn't post the pictures for some weird reason.

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Could you at least add more color to the main Sonic sprite? His sprites in the original game had a really great style that made him look like a badass.

3. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Time Attacked was an awesome game but does it really need remade? Unless it came from the original author I'd rather see a Sonic fan game instread of a Sonic fan game's fan game.

4. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Time Attacked is certainly a touch dated physics-wise compared to what is now possible with Sonic fangames. I've definitely wondered myself what it would be like if somebody just did a straight port to Sonic Worlds, or E02, or something.

5. Betaman

Betaman

That is an issue I'm facing. The original ripped sprites were badly shaded due to being used for a Mobile phone game (I don't think ports can be a reasonable file size and still look pretty.)

I'm trying to keep my post count down because as of this post, I only have 18 left. The idea for this was formed after toying around with the Sonic revival unleashed engine. (the physics are not an issue because the engine is the same as the genesis engine with more features added in.) I am working on something, but I'm keeping that secret right now so that I don't burn myself out talking about it. Jamie Bailey gave me permission to do this on one condition: That I do it with caution. I'm trying to keep this close to the original without making it a worthless port, as the original still works on modern computers. I'm tweaking the level design so that it is expanded upon from the original game, and I'm placing the medallions in new places, so that people don't just go to the same places as the original.
    The cutscenes will be done in the style of Sonic CD and Sonic Screensaver, that way the same scenes are done in a more cartoonish art style.

Anything good that you guys suggest will be definitely be considered by me, so don't be afraid to give criticism!

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I'd rather something like this; a direct remake that sticks pretty close to how the game was (this is one reason why Sonic Zero has gotten a major overhaul recently, so the team can focus on having the game be a more faithful adaption).

Stuff like the gimmick acts to me were what help Time Attack stand out uniquely (and at the same time, made + - Time Base Zone Act 3   That One Level). If they're not played the whole act, they should still take up the majority of the act. I'm really skeptic of the changes in 1. and 2. I welcome the full set of item monitors, and I'd be ok with the special stages and Super Sonic as long as they're just a side thing, and don't interfere with the original plot.

As for the Unleashed sprites, I recall the mobile games sprites not being very well animated in the first place. Dunno what W.A.C. is on about, they look the same as they do here.

The level design should stick to the original pretty closely, but just be touched up to have designs that are more familiar to the Genesis games (I'd actually like to see a map of Time Attacks levels).

And music wise, PLEASE stick close to the original songs. EVERY original song in that game is awesome.

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This looks worse than the original game...wtf?

8. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [​IMG]

Sonic's sprites in the original fangame looked a lot more badass than the sprites used in that mobile game.

9. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Oh, I thought you were referring to Unleashed Mobiles. My bad. :V