don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    But if you go too direct you may end up scaring him directly. Yeah, not a good idea...

And if we're going to be worried about people "redocumenting" themselves by "refreshing their memory" reading stuff on internet, then that'd mean we can't trust anything they say anymore (especially since they could be doing it right upon the first question). And even if they don't, then there'll be always other people complaining that they may not remember things well just to keep rumors afloat.

So yeah, let's stop with that shit, OK?

2. Adrian Tepez

Adrian Tepez

The LBZ elevators in S3K can sometimes eject you instantly without you needing to wait for them to stop spinning. Originally I thought it happened randomly, or if you pressed a direction on a certain frame, but there is a way to reproduce it 100% of the time.

Before getting in, you'll notice how it moves up and down. You want to activate it when it's at its lowest point. It stays at that point for 13 frames (I'm not sure if the window of time available is also 13 frames, but it's likely). It doesn't work if you simply walk into the elevator. You have to land in the back, either by jumping or spin dashing (this one has strict requirements, though).

An easy way to execute it is to stand on the edge of the tube. While the elevator is at its highest point, you can't walk into it, instead you'll push the "wall" that's raised up. As it moves down you will start moving. Jump somewhat early when you start moving (but not too early, you want to land in the back).

It works for every elevator and all characters. No directional input necessary, you'll be ejected automatically.

Edit: nineko, it's only known to those that have seen speed runs or maybe seen/encountered it otherwise. It's pretty obscure, so I posted it anyway.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    This has been known, on tasvideos.org, since years ago (at least May 2005).

4. I can't recall many Sonic zone names that can be read multiple ways from like that (though Hydrocity comes close). I guess that was what I was trying to convey. But if you had to put a certain "part" on it, the last bullet.

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    You are right!

The question however may be difficult to understand when translated into Japanese (if the guy knows limited English).

We know for a fact that "Sega Sound Team" had composers and arrangers. We can use that to get our answer more clear. We really want to know the music he composed, and we might get information what music others composed and he arranged. The later information might also categorize some music away from the MJ team (so we can stop rumors).

"What music tracks did you compose for Sonic 3?"

"What music tracks did you arrange for Sonic 3?"

"Do you remember who composed the music you arranged?"

Kinda direct questions, but they have no answers in their context which is good.

6. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    Yes. Good. Translate those and put them right on Twitter.

-------

Now for my next contribution:

Whereas Nagao is somewhat affiliated with Opus Corp [and not Cube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srl5z-7Fex4#t=2m57s] (credited for Sound Special Thanks in S3&K), Cube is somewhat more mysterious, and discussion goes back quite a ways -> http://project2612.org/phpbb3/viewtopic.ph...11&start=10 (Oh hello there, Tweaker)

Cube Sound Credits: http://www.cube-sound.co.jp/zpr.html
    ????III?8??????????????? -> Sonic 3: composition of 8 tunes (Sega of America)

I'd also like to note that Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is listed as such: MR.???????????????????

There's no Sega of America credit even though the game was released outside of Japan (most likely due to the game's origins, no doubt). There is one, however, for Virtua Fighter 2 for Genesis (also released outside of Japan). Therefore, the credit refers to the location of the work, not the games' destination. My theory, then: MJ and his crew worked for Cube.

1) Level [4] composition (aka Carnival Night Zone) [both Acts count as 1 composition]
    2) Level [5] composition (aka IceCap Zone) [both Acts count as 1 composition]
    3) Level [6] composition (aka Launch Base Zone) [both Acts count as 1 composition]
    4) Boss theme (aka Act 1 Boss) [Knuckles' Theme is just a portion of it]
    5) Menu theme (aka Competition Menu)
    6) Credits theme (aka Staff Roll)

Put all those together and you have enough to cover most of the bases of a video game. So then, what can the other two be? The answer comes to us thanks to Scirocco. ( http://www.musicpowers.com/id31.html )

7) Level [2] composition (aka Hydrocity Zone) [was made under/for MJ with help from Buxer; most likely replaced in the final version]
    8) Level [3] composition (aka Marble Garden Zone) [was made under/for MJ with help from Buxer; most likely replaced in the final version]

7. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Please don't bother him. It's troublesome enough as it is to try and go back and forth with the different time zones and a language barrier. So please have faith that I will try to handle this.

I only know one thing for sure. He told me that he joined OPUS Corp when he was doing work on Sonic 3. He was not employed at OPUS during the time of Shinobi III. I popped the question what he did on Sonic 3 in my last message to him, but I'm worried that he wont reply back any time soon. Also, please do not mention anything about Nagao outside of Retro until it's safe.

The CUBE thing is very interesting, thanks for bringing it up. I did not notice they actually listed a specific number for the number of tracks they contributed for the game on their website, but you're wrong about one thing. Michael Jackson was not part of Cube at all, as Cube is a Japanese music corporation known around Retro for their sound driver. One of the best known people to have come out of Cube is Noriyuki Iwadare, but Cube itself had people working for it already. Iwadare's resume does not list Sonic 3, however, more than one composer worked on games where Cube was credited for music and sound. It's very possible that someone on the Sega Sound Team was brought on board from Cube. Maybe we can iron out who.

EDIT: Actually it looks like the entry on Cube's site says "Music Composition 8", rather than "8 Music Compositions". Make that as you will. Could be wrong.

8. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Super sonic in sonic 3 had a sprite glitch...which now that I noticed I can never unlearn....

[​IMG]

Left is what is in the game, right is what it should have been. One pixel line off

9. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Took me a while to notice, but now that I did, it looks a bit… creepy. Wonder how that happened…

10. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    I don't see what I'm meant to be looking for. What am I meant to be seeing?

11. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Look at the nose. It's easier to notice the difference from there.

Wow, I can't unsee it now too. I can't believe I never noticed after all these years.

12. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    Sorry, man. Didn't know you called dibs. By all means you've got this.

Hey everyone! Ham says he's got this one.

Good. That takes care of that corp. credit.

If that's the case then it has to be Senoue. Everyone else worked on a game for Sega prior to Sonic 3 (Uwabo - Fantasy Zone (1986); Ogawa - Sonic 2 (MD) (1992); Kashima - Castle of Illusion (1990); Setsumaru -Panic! (1993); Maeda - The GG Shinobi (1991); Sawada - Sonic 2 (GG) (1992); Nagao - Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (1993))

Sonic 3, however, was Senoue's first game. So let's try this again...

1) Act Clear [via IceKnight's hack] -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdonuB1VRM8
    2) Bonus Stage (Gumball Machine) [via IceKnight's hack] -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx8g6hGoncg
    3) Game Over [via IceKnight's hack] -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YuYI0BrHL0
    4) Continue [via IceKnight's hack] -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEo8W1uwg44

5) Bonus Stage (Magnetic Orbs) [Jun's favorite from Sonic 3] -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7icgsjxBUQ

6) Bonus Stage (Slot Machine) [The bass and percussion is extremely similar between the three bonus stages] -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoW2h_oBHpg

7) 1-Up (S3) [Reused in Sonic 4 along with Act Clear and Game Over]

8) Balloon Park [Tell me it doesn't sound the least bit like Pleasure Castle]
    -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGs6IYvkVU - Balloon Park
    -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3VUgMhoZm8 - Pleasure Castle

In case you're wondering, this happens to me a lot. But I like it so much. This worked out better than I would have hoped.

No man. 8?=8 tunes, ??=composition, 8??? = 8 tunes composition

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I've had my own theory about Cube since a few years ago, I just never posted it because it's only speculation, but I might as well throw it here for posterity.
    Basically the Cube sound driver (used in Mean Bean Machine and many other games, if you're having a déjà-vu it's because Wiz and I posted our researches about that driver years ago) shares a bank of FM instruments amongst all the songs, unlike SMPS which usually stores FM instruments in every individual song. Emphasis on "usually": Sonic 3 & Knuckles, in fact, introduced the "Universal Voice Bank" (UVB), which is shared amongst all the songs not unlike the banks in the Cube driver. Of course S3&K is still a "hybrid" system, meaning that songs aren't forced to use that UVB, but I strongly believe that the idea of this shared bank somehow came from Cube.

Again -- pure speculation.

14. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member
    Ah, I see it now, I just wasn't sure where I was meant to be looking.

Yeah, that is odd. Oversight during design?

15. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    And now I'm even more convinced Echo is more similar to Cube than to SMPS. I should check where's the Cube information some day.

+ - Also more like months ago.  

16. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Aha! I figured out who from CUBE contributed to Sonic 3. But it's very odd because the person never received credit, but he states that he contributed music to Sonic 3 while he was at CUBE. This guy's name is Miyoko Kobayashi. Like Nagao, Kobayashi keeps a profile on Wikipedia.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%B0%8F%E6%...%B2%E5%AE%B6%29

Hopefully the link works, if not, just Google ????? (???). Unlike Nagao, Kobayashi also has a personal website. It also appears he's still employed at Cube, which is probably why they still have information like that on file at their website. I'll contact him later to confirm. Again, let me try and handle it.

Also, Jun Senoue didn't have any prior experience to composing for games before he joined Sega. He did not come from a game company, but instead was already part of a band and sent a demo tape to Sega in 1993.

edit: oops its female

17. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    LOL (no plans on fixing the post though?)

18. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Spencer Nilsen used very similar ambient effects on two tunes from different works.

and

If you can't hear what I'm talking about, try earphones.

19. E102

E102

"γ" Member
    I definitely hear it, man.

Sterling might be credited for composition and production for Boss!!, Final Fever and all variations of Collision Chaos and Metallic Madness, but that still leaves arrangement to Nilsen. After all, the laughs are also used in Game Over, which in itself is barely based off of Sonic Boom.

20. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Just an update on the Nagao stuff, I gave him a playlist of allllllll the music from Sonic 3&K and he replied to me today and said that he'll get around to it by next weekend.

I can't wait. :)