don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Bozo

Bozo

Right before the screen shows the boss, you jump back. If you see the boss, it's too late.

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

^Shows the point in which you jump back.^

[​IMG]

^Shows the result of this jump. Note the amount of lives.^

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yeah I know. But once the door is closed, I can't go back to the first corridor, as the door stays closed. I tried to jump everywhere with and without debug mode, and I couldn't replicate this bug.

3. Bozo

Bozo

Hmm....

I'm using S2L, are you using a regular S2 ROM?

If that's the case, it may just be a bug in the game.

4. nineko

nineko

italy
  5. Bozo

Bozo

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up for me. ;)

6. Ayla

Ayla

I shat on your desk ^^ Oldbie
    West Linn, OR
    Hacking Contest, StH Overlooked, Personal Indie game
    Either way, that was still way cool.. that little symbol means you have a LOT more lives.. so that's a VERY useful bug at that stage in the game :D

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think what's happening is that you've lost a life right after the game over bit is triggered. What this means is that the normal value of zero lives would loop back to the hexadecimal maximum, to $FF (or 255 lives). The graphics mess up due to how the 8x8 tiles are located in ROM for the lives numbers to update, so what seems like garbled graphics is literally just random ROM data being read as graphics.

If you tweaked what data comes after the lives number tiles in ROM, you'd be able to abuse this glitch to display an 8x8 tile of your choice. Could be neat to mess around with. =P

8. Shade

Shade

Noticed a couple things that don't quite warrant their own topic, so I'll throw 'em in here:

I was playing Shadow the hedgehog in progressive scan on my new 40 inch hd, and I noticed something: on the menu/story-progress screen, there is a slowly scrolling block of what appears to be text, on the left side of the screen. I always dismissed it as just a little effect, something to make the menus more busy looking, because it certainly wasn't readable.

Well, thanks to my new AMAZING TECHNOLOGY, turns out it is just -barely- readable. It appears to be (very disjointed) repeated verses, or something. Each verse appears in a seemingly random order. I'll try to transcribe them down to their exact capitalization and punctuation:

I'm sure that last verse will give fanfags plenty to go apeshit over. And yes, the grammar really is that inconsistent; no typos up there (from me anyway).

Nothing special, but it's a detail I never noticed, and haven't seen mentioned.

On that topic, there's something similar in Sonic Rush. On the title cards for the levels, there seems to be a little blurb up towards the top. It says something different for both Blaze and Sonic, and seems even more engrish than the above fiasco. But I can't read enough of it to make a transcript. Keep an eye out next time you boot up Sonic Rush.

9. Wincherway

Wincherway

Obnoxious user
    [​IMG]
    So, I was using this elevator glitch at Hill Top Zone, said earlier, and I used it, I used fastforward, and leaved it like that. I was looking for stuff in this thread, and then I came back, and suddendly, I saw a tree on screen, I was apparently stuck inside something, and then, I pressed to left, and suddendly, I was somewhere at level, then I fell, but, I didn't fall. For some reason, there is some solid surface here.

[​IMG]
    I walk forward, and solid surface starts lowering, like staircase, but, I fall AGAIN off level, but this time, there is some half-assed surface with NO TOP.

(No pic, I lost it)
    Then, I walk into right, and fortunately, I savestated, and let's continue, I fall of from this surface, and now, I die, even when I didn't touch the badnik. WHAT.

[​IMG]
    When I go to left, I fall into earthquake area, and dig somehow into underground. That's messed up.

[​IMG]
    I go again to right, but I use debug mode to leap over the area, and now, I still fall, but into this curly thing, and apparently, Sonic is balancing for some reason.

Could someone explain this bugfest at outer boundaries of Hill Top?

10. Skaarg

Skaarg

I haven't seen the elevator glitch you speak of, it may be in this thread, but I'm too lazy to look not to mention I'm suppose to be working but doesn't having debug mode kind of void your find there? Unless it is reproducible with debug mode off.

If it is not reproducible with debug mode off, I'd suggest reading Quickman's (Kamina's) thread about debug mode in the E&RE forum.

About the only thing though I could see though that's causing some of your bugs with walking through floors and such is that you used a bug to get there, and the since that is a location where one of the triggered earthquakes happen that might have something to do with it.

11. Wincherway

Wincherway

Obnoxious user
    I have read that thread, and this thing WAS perfomed by debug mode, and I don't know another way to do it. So, it's just meaningless.

12. I've wondered what that said. Does anybody know?

13. Skaarg

Skaarg

I remember seeing those, I remember I was able to make out what Blaze's said, but not sonic's. I'll look at it when I get home tonight possibly if I can motivated enough to find my game case.

14. Handful of music related things.

First, in Sonic Rush Adventure, the final hidden stage, Hidden Island 16, is a remake of Sonic Rush's first stage. Though for most of the stage it plays the generic Hidden Island theme (an instrumental mix of "A New Venture"), some strange things happen if you hit the invincibility. I'm about 99.9% sure on these variables, so here they are:

- If you hit the Invincibility while in Super Boost mode, the percussion-only Invincibility from the first Sonic Rush plays.
    - If you hit the Invincibility while just running, the normal Hidden Island Invincibility plays, but with one of the tracks missing.
    - If you hit the Invincibility while spinning (jumping or jump over the box and roll back down), the normal Hidden Island Invincibility plays.

Second, and this may be obvious, but SRA's Windmill Village Modes 3 and 4 are both remixes of S3(&K)'s Save Select screen.

Third, in the American Sonic CD Invincibility, it sounds like there's two instances of the "Go!" vocal from Launch Base Zone, or at least a sample similar to it. They occur around the fourth beat of two consecutive measures starting at 0:11, right before the key change. I seem to believe its pan is slightly to the right, but I could be wrong. And yes, I am obsessed with this tune, as well as Jingles in general. Never mind, I was mistaking drum beats for a vocal sample. Continue with your life.

I'll try to upload samples of what I'm talking about when I'm not as busy, but I'll post this for now since I'm fairly confident a lot of you will figure out what I mean.

15. nineko

nineko

italy
    Speaking of music, bass $22 in the UVB is the same one used in Green Hill Zone, 3 years before. Little uninteresting fact. Probably there are other voices in the UVB which are recycled from other Sonic 1 / Sonic 2 songs, someday I'm going to dig them out.

16. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    Old as crap and excuse me if everyone knows it already but quite a lot of people I spoke to have never seen this, so here:

In the first Zone of Wacky Workbench, there's a small hidden room in the Past and Bad Future time zones which contains a statue.

In the past there's an angel statue which spouts about 50 rings from its hand when jumped at.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Whereas in Bad Future, a golden Robotnik statue has taken its place. It can be destroyed, which causes three waves of spiked balls to rain down onto Sonic's head.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I found this to be a quite charming little detail.

Oh, and in the 510 beta, the angel statue has a different palette (as does the rest of the stage). And its hand is solid, which is not the case in the final game.
    [​IMG]

17. nineko

nineko

italy
    I didn't know about this, nice find.
    Your post would be even more useful if you wrote down the location of that hidden room, or the route to get there.

18. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    ^If you stick to the bottom route of Wacky Workbench 1 (which is of course ridiculously hard), there's an area of electrified floor about 1/4 of the way through the stage that drops down as a solid wall and rounds off into a quarterpipe at the bottom, just like the drop at the very beginning of the stage. In the Past and Bad Future you can go right through said wall into that room. I tried to explain that in my Sonic CD FAQ for GameFAQs to no avail. :P

Maybe this will aid my description? It's of the Present, but the general layout is close.

19. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
  20. nineko

nineko

italy
    In Sonic 3 & Knuckles, you need to enable both Level Select and Debug Mode if you want to play a stage as a character that's not supposed to be there (e.g. Knuckles in Sonic's LRZ2, or Sonic in Knuckles' Sky Sanctuary). Level Select alone will result in an "error" sound effect.

Maybe you knew about this, but I didn't know, and this caused me to be wrong on a discussion on Youtube for the first fucking time ever D: