don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Wasn't this just posted recently in this same thread, or was it in another one? I swear I've seen it somewhere before on here... but anyway it's weird how similar the two songs sound alike.

2. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    Glitching up the S boxes in S3K

1. Start new NO SAVE game, enter Sound Test code, pause and press A
    2. Go into Sound Test then go into Mushroom Hill and enter Sound Test code again, pause and press A
    3. Go into Sound Test again, hold A and pick a level
    4. Shit starts getting weird here, hit A to reverse gravity, hit B to go into debug, C to jump
    5. You can mess with some stuff in the game using the S boxes
    • If you create EXACTLY 17, 18, or 19 boxes all in the same spot then break them all with one Spin Dash, you will go into the first S&K special stage instead of the first S3 one. Getting the emerald displays the message "SONIC GOT ALL CHAOS EMERALDS," "NOW SONIC CAN BE HYPER SONIC" which actually proves to be true, however special rings still take you into special stages, not give you 50 rings
    • If you do the same but with between 20, 21, or 22 boxes, the games controls will lock up and it will appear that the game starts running its demo macro set. If you press START the game will go to the SEGA screen, then load up the Sonic & Knuckles title screen, not the S3K one.
    • Make 23 or more and the whole screen glitches up an you need to reset the Genesis

Let me know if same happens for you

3. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    The general effects of messing around with Super monitors in Mushroom Hill are pretty well known, but I've personally never seen documentation of the exact numbers causing it before.

It seems to result from some overflow causing a bunch of garbage to be written over key RAM addresses - particularly making $FFAE non-zero to set the game mode to S&K and putting a load of nonsense into the emerald vars from $FFD0-$FFDA. If you continue a game that's broken in this way, it'll usually crash late in Hidden Palace because it can't cope with the absurd numbers when trying to display Super Emeralds. You should notice that you're getting Sonic & Knuckles title cards too, even if you don't get back to its title screen, because of the mode being reset.

4. Uncle Otis

Uncle Otis

Uses too many goddamn commas Member
    Sonic Heroes has all these little neat visual sets. I discovered one while playing Frog Forest a few months back. The final platform for Team Sonic (the one that has the goal ring) is in the shape of an open crocodile maw, foreshadowing your escape from the swamps of Lost Jungle.

5. I think this goes here. I think. :) Hey I'm new :) Ran into a new glitch-ish behavior while playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles in Sonic Mega Collection Plus on PC last night. I was in Flying Battery Act 2. Hit a signpost and into the stars. I should've gone to the Slot Machine bonus stage. Well I got the title card...and the music...and...that was all folks! Game didn't freeze. I simply didn't get past the initial title screen. Anyone ever run into this? I found nada doing a quick search of the boards as well as google. Not even sure if its a glitch in SMCP or in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I ended up having to go back to my last save state after sitting at the bonus stage screen for a full minute.

6. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I knew there was an appearance of Classic Sonic in The Simpsons.
    However, I didn't knew there was a second one:
    [​IMG]

Weird thing is, it's modern Amy, but classic Sonic, with Tails' shoes.

7. Uncle Otis

Uncle Otis

Uses too many goddamn commas Member
    Somebody obviously didn't do their research and deserves to be fired.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Is that supposed to be a flashback to the 80s anyway?

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    No, I'm betting their research was to type in the character names in Google, and save images from page 1 for reference -- doing this gives a mixture of modern/classic Sonic, but predominantly modern Amy.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No, 90s. Retconned modern Simpsons.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Ah. I could have sworn I'd read that it was an 80s flashback, which would would make so sense.

12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Listening to Palmtree Panic (Past), I noticed that there's the sound of a clock ticking - cleverly disguised as percussion. Perhaps this was on purpose? It is Sonic CD, after all...

13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

:psyduck: *goes check*

Also, I've mentioned this before, in Heroes the rings spin one way, then stop, then spin the other way. That's fucking weird.

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I dunno if anybody's mentioned this, but in competition mode (S3 OR S3K, doesn't matter), even though Sonic has no instashield, pressing a jump button in midair causes the instashield sound effect to play.

What's more interesting, IMO, is that the same sound plays if you're using Knuckles.

15. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I'm randomly guessing here, but it might be that 2P Knuckles shares 2P Sonic's object.

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That is exactly what is happening. 2P Sonic and 2P Knuckles share the same code.

17. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    It's not mentioned in the wiki, so I'm not sure if it's common knowledge, but Knuckles can climb up the tube at the end of Carnival Night Zone act 2 and fight Sonic and Tails' boss (It will be EggRobo).

18. ccat

ccat

Confirmed, I did this last time because the ICZ warp somehow didn't want to work for me.

19. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    So I was messing around in Debug in Sonic 3 vanilla. I used debug to go through Knuckle's route in Ice Cap Act 1 as Sonic and Tails. Upon reaching the mini-boss area, obviously nothing happened, but I was able to proceed flawlessly into Act 2. Since there was no glorified act change, the music stayed the same. Nothing up to this point is particularly concerning. However, upon fighting and beating Robotnik, when the boss theme faded, the music went back to Act 1. I found that little bit somewhat interesting.

After beating Robotnik, I used debug to place a badnik and die. Upon returning to a checkpoint in the Act 2 area, the Act 2 music loaded properly, but the title card still said Act 1.

EDIT: Yeah, pretty much nevermind. Debug mode makes all sorts of things so wrong in Sonic 3.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Actually, you can do all that without debug, using the screen scroll glitch. If you look at my gamercard in detail, you'll see that on the XBLA version, I've got the "Complete the game" achievement without getting the "Fast Freeze" achievement. Since Knuckles' boss stuff isn't programmed in at this stage, you just go straight through into Act 2.

It stays as "Act 1", because the score tally hasn't come up yet. The Act 2 music plays upon restarting because you are in the second act level. See: Angel Island (S3 alone).

Also, doing this as Sonic in S3K allows you to fight Knuckles' boss (and make the cave background glow). If you die before you get a checkpoint, you start back in Sonic's Act 2 start.