don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I think that was based on the in-game Jam model, albeit with more polygons added?

2. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I had the pleasure of playing a real Sega Sonic arcade cabinet today!

Whoever decided the game needs a trackball should get fired. Your arm gets tired pretty quick, and my hand is gonna need a deep scrubbing to get rid of all the dirt.

Anyways, I actually managed to beat it! Thank goodness it was freeplay, since it can get pretty hectic at times. Had a fun time with it. Might upload photos if I can find the time.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Was it on a generic AstroCity cab or did it have a unique one with a marquee?
    Finding photos of a Segasonic game that isn't just the raw pcb is like hunting a unicorn.

4. Londinium

Londinium

I believe it was a generic cabinet, unfortunately :(

However, this cabinet was an Aero City, not Astro City

5. Chimes

Chimes

Omg that's still valuable info. From the sounds of it Segasonic probably was a kit game, i.e. had no special cab and made to replace a old game, which explains why it appears in all kinds of cabs? I recall seeing a video of the game mounted on a COCKTAIL of all things.

6. Londinium

Londinium

Best screencap I had of the cabinet, cropped because I don't want some internet crazy to figure out where I live

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2023
    • Like Like x 14
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Chimes

Chimes

You are a total godsend. If possible, can this be posted on the wiki? The wiki's image of the cab is extremely tiny.

8. RDNexus

RDNexus

In case it hasn't been posted in the forum yet...

I've never been much of a Chronicles fan, but...
    I REALLY hate Ken Penders with a passion! >(

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    "Crimson Angel - Honey the Cat" on AO3 (on Hiatus)
    I'd say we dodged a bullet, but I'm biased since I never cared about Ken Penders creations, or anything even remotely related or similar to them, and I also consider Chronicles as the worst piece of Sonic media in general. With that said, I wonder how different the series would be if there was a Chronicles 2

10. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Obviously details about the story we'll never get are more important than details on how the story we did get changed and evolved that have some easy deductions to be made, but part of me is upset this reveal isn't part of a greater deep-dive documentary featuring interviews with the devs of Chronicles because there's quite a few mysteries remaining on that end. Like, why is there a mechanical echidna with a Mega Buster, why did Blue Ridge originally have echidnas that were turned into humans for its sidequests, when was "Tutorial Island" cut...

That aside, I'm glad to know the Twilight Cage colonies would get to escape and potentially integrate (that was always a favorite idea of mine) and the Argus and the Precursor sidequests actually had a plan behind them. I wish we had direct quotes on all the bits they narrated themselves.

If Sonic Team was so receptive to potentially using Shade in other games, and Nocturne was in Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, I wonder if they were originally going to use Shade? No other explanation outside of "they just wanted to reuse an asset" makes sense for its random appearance here, even if they're pulling things like Radical Highway into the mix. Although it's only a year out from Chronicles' release, Penders apparently started making his moves just a couple of months after Chronicles came out, so maybe they wanted to avoid that whole thing.

You're just mean >: (
    Honestly Nocturnus echidnas don't feel super close to Penders' echidnas even if they're wrote in with similar ideas to Penders, it feels very forced any time someone tries to make the direct comparison.

I can't imagine Shade existing in canon would change too much of the series going forward- especially since the writers wrote Chronicles under the impression that it came at the end of the Sonic timeline at the time of its release. If they did continue to make more Chronicles games after Bioware (like they planned) then she'd probably show up there and in spinoffs but none of the games that have released after Chronicles seem like they'd be particularly affected by the (known) existence of the Nocturnus, or presence of Shade or the Colonies, except maybe Frontiers.

(...but seriously, the worst Sonic media?)

11. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    I consider Chronicles the worst Sonic media because there's at least something I like in almost every Sonic product out there, even the ones I hate, Chronicles is the only one that I genuinely can't say anything positive about, I hate everything about the game, the story, the music, the graphics, and I also don't see any potential in the game. The only thing that I can praise about Chronicles is that it indirectly created the Post-genesis wave continuity of Archie, which is the best run of the comics imo

12. Stink Terios

Stink Terios

You have positive things to say about Sonic Jam on the Game.com?

Like, I get it, it's easy to forget it exists but it's the bottom of the barrel for sure.

13. Ura

Ura

Brazil
    Being so forgettable is already a point over Chronicles, it means I don't have to think about it's existence for most of the time.

Jokes aside, yeah, you got me there lol. I'd still say Chronicles is the worst just because I actually hate it a lot more, I don't feel anything towards Sonic Jam for game.com even though it's a really crappy game.

Fun fact, the attack and defense stats in Chronicles are actually your accuracy and evasiveness, while your actual attack and defense are pre-determined. Weird oddities like this is why Chronicles lives rent free in my head after my 20 hours playthrough of the game

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Chronicles holds the honor of being the only game I've ever purchased and returned out of outright disappointment. After three brisk chapters I returned it right back to Walmart and exchanged it for Kirby Super Star Ultra. One of the best decisions I'd ever made.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    These dudes really about to make me buy Chronicles.

16. Chimes

Chimes

As someone who lived near the vile birthplace of that game, do so with caution. I can still hear the broken soundfont in my nightmares.

17. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    I wish I could go back to before people turned on the game, or brought up music, models or Penders every time it was mentioned. Or at least that I could be very ignorant of when they did. I feel like it gets mistreated and misrepresented all the time.

18. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by Christian "Kris" Dobbins Member
    https://www.youtube.com/@LeviChurch/videos
    Kirby Super Star Ultra is definitely the better game of the two.

19. Londinium

Londinium

Waiting on the day far into the future when people on Sonic Retro's successor complain that Sonic Chronicles wasn't on the inevitable Modern Sonic 2D Portable Collection

That and the day when video essayists hail Sonic Forces an underrated masterpiece

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by Christian "Kris" Dobbins Member
    https://www.youtube.com/@LeviChurch/videos
    I honestly don't hate Chronicles. I just never finished playing it. And I grew up with it on my Nintendo DSI too. But I also had Sonic Rush and Sonic Classic Collection which I put way more hours into than Chronicles.