don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I replied this on Red's thread but my Twitter's not public so I'll say it here as well - I've got all three parts to this game and can confirm it's only on the cover, not the manual or cart. Utterly bizarre, can only be some printing error. One assumes the machine that did the covers is different to the ones that did the cart labels and manuals.

Also now more people have seen the weird French-only variant =P I've got a loose cart of that.

2. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    According to Bentley Jones, Silver's theme song Dreams of an Absolution was originally written about a bad ex-boyfriend he had.

(2:03)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's the days of analogue printing, where you'd have physical layers on top of each other. It could just be a red bit of fluff.

Re-confirms the theory that Australia did its own designs, and that they're not identical to their European counterparts.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

5. charcoal

charcoal

In a cool piece of continuity, Sonic Colors uses the same geography as the Earth established in Sonic Unleashed. You can see this most clearly during Terminal Velocity.
    Unleashed Earth
    upload_2023-2-4_17-58-43.png
    Colors Earth
    upload_2023-2-4_17-58-55.png
    Colors Earth (In-game)
    upload_2023-2-4_17-59-23.png
    Looks like Dr. Eggman built his amusement park right in the middle of Mazuri and Apotos. Two worlds my ass.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Two Worlds didn't exist until Lost World if I remember correctly.

Not that it is canon anymore anyway.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I dunno if it was conscious continuity so much as reusing an existing asset that they had =P

8. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
  9. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
  10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I’ve known about that for a while but still just love it. What a weird reference

Also Sonic being in a band in early concepts didn’t make much sense to me until I just remembered Michael Jackson was an influence. Now it seems obvious

11. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Hum...

Seems, like Sonic CD has some problems with GENS emus (or GENS with SCD, lol :p)

Sometimes on special stages- sfx is turning off, and stage has some glitches
    Glitch2.png

And sometimes, if you press PAUSE- it has even more problems.. mostly- with palette...
    Glitch1.png
    If you got this- game will crash very soon :)

As I can see- it happens very often. Even more- it happens ONLY on Gens 32 surreal. Happens, but without glitched palette and doesn't kill the game on normal gens, and never happens on kega fusion.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This one wasn't documented:
    [​IMG]
    The Moon Child Orphanage in Shenmue II. I'm sure someone can get a proper screenshot.

13. MasterDreamcaster

MasterDreamcaster

Running Up That Green Hill Member
    Don't know if this was mentioned, but Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are like Water and Fire, Wet and Dry, Cold and Hot, Blue and Red...
    You see, every level in Sonic 3 (except Marble Garden) has water. But there is not a single level with water in Sonic & Knuckles - it has Sandopolis and Lava Reef... While Sonic 3 has Hydrocity and Ice Cap...
    tumblr_ndq87dB7KI1t1caqso3_1280.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
  14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think the in game logic behind that is because you’re heading more inward into the island, thus less water. Also had the original order stayed in place, it would’ve been a bit more split up (as FBZ would be between CNZ and ICZ, then there’d only be 5 stages without water not 6).

But S&K does have a different feel to it, slightly, I’ve always felt it.

15. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I also find it interesting how each classic Sonic game ups the stakes.

Sonic 1 is about saving an island. Sonic 2 is also about this, but with the greater eventual stakes being the earth. Sonic 3 & Knuckles also aims for this but also adds gravity gimmicks and space levels into the mix with an emphasis on exiting earths atmosphere. Sonic CD is about time, and Sonic Mania is about reality.

Really, if there’s another classic themed game, it would need to either give us completely different themed locations and gimmicks across the globe, or just straight up be set on different planets. I think a Sonic Next Level style game with a looser feel and new enemies would be excellent.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. charcoal

charcoal

This was a really interesting post, I never thought about that before. I do have to wonder how a new classic game even could up the ante. Across the globe of course is a good idea, although Unleashed already did that very well so I'm not sure how that could be revisited without feeling like a rehash..

Different worlds is also a good idea, though. The storybook games already did this but a sort of spiritual successor in the form of a classic Sonic game could be awesome. Different worlds as in aliens could also be a really fun idea to toy with, it'd probably fuck with the lore or whatever but it'd be cool so who cares:V. Man, thinking about this made me realize how much I want a Mania 2. I'm not ravenous for it like some, but damn would I love to have it anyways.

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

The 3d games did it too.

SA1 - Sonic 06 took place each in one city and its surrounding areas.

Unleashed took place all over the world.

Colors took place across multiple planets.

Finally Generations took place across multiple eras.

18. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    The final frontier for Sonic now would probably be wrecking the internet

19. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    So then it's already come full circle. Multiple times.
    That would explain the constant reboots. :V

20. charcoal

charcoal

Sonic Unleashed features inverse kinematics for Sonic's feet during the daytime. Basically it makes it so his feet align properly with slopes instead of just clipping through them, or worse, sticking the entire playermodel in the slope's direction like 06.

It doesn't work on the Werehog, probably because he doesn't interact with slopes much in the first place, but still neat. Here are screenshots of it in action.
    upload_2023-2-15_18-42-14.png
    upload_2023-2-15_18-42-29.png
    Now I know what you're thinking. "Charcoal, this info is so pointless that it even seems trivial in this topic dedicated to trivial knowledge. Why even post this?" But trust me. Let's take a look over at this mechanic in Sonic Generations' modern stages.
    upload_2023-2-15_18-44-16.png
    Yup, it works just fine. As expected, since Generations is practically an Unleashed romhack when it comes to the technical side of things, there's no reason for this to behave any differently.

But. Let's take a hop and a skip over to a few other stages.
    upload_2023-2-15_18-45-36.png
    upload_2023-2-15_18-45-50.png
    upload_2023-2-15_18-46-1.png
    What? For what reason would something like this that worked just fine in the previous game only work in one stage? It's perfectly fine in GHZ, but every level after that breaks for some reason.

What would even cause this? This keeps me awake at night. I haven't slept in days.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • List