don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    This was discussed a bit in this thread. I suggested a few comments after that linked comment that perhaps the octave is wrong for the missing notes in that sample and maybe it should sound something like this: https://soundcloud.com/sonic18571237/cnz2-edit

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Another oddity to add to the list. In Sonic 3 and Knuckles, in the Sky Sanctuary Zone as either Sonic and Tails, Sonic alone or Tails alone, Knuckles has an extra animation that some people may not have seen.

After the Death Egg has launched, and Knuckles triggers the switch for you to progress, if you go back to him and press down, he signals for you to carry on after the Death Egg without him. This is very strange, as it only triggers in a set place, and by ducking. Nowhere else in the game does this action do anything. Regardless, it is another Sonic oddity that I have documented.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yeah, it's an odd little Easter egg. It's been known for some time, I knew about it because Cybershell made a video about it:

4. Weirdly enough, I've discovered this little detail 12 years ago on emulators. I somehow thought that was very well known before, so I never bothered talking about it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Why do you all always share everyone's videos except mine? ;_;

Some of you weren't even born in 2006 :(

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    When playing through Origins S3K I tested that in my 1st playthrough and sure enough they readded said feature

8. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    You know how in Sonic CD, Sonic would say "I'm outta here!" and quit the game if you left him idle for three minutes? Well apparently back in July 2017, designer Masato Nishimura stated on Twitter that Sonic doesn't actually say that, but is rather saying "I'm outer here!".

https://twitter.com/Mazin__/status/884013547952328704

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I feel like that's exactly the same thing.

10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I mean it's not correct English, but he felt the need to correct it, so the R sound must have some significance, even if just to him. Could be a language thing, or it could just be "I thought that's how the word was pronounced".

11. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I've been subscribed to your youtube since 2006, actually.

12. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    This must have been my first exposure to that Easter egg, I think:

It's one of those pseudo-obscure things. It does bug me that the two frames aren't aligned with each other properly, though.

13. Xilla

Xilla

I had trouble triggering it in Origins at first to the point I thought Headcannon didn't know it existed :V

(It turns out you just have to stand in a slightly different area to do it)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    For those who haven't heard yet, The Brickster on Twitter reverted their stance on what hardware the Sonic & Knuckles PC Collection was composed for. https://twitter.com/lebrickster/status/1547239550740840448

Long story short, the correct hardware was a SC-88Pro, identified by the square waves. A full ost rip has been uploaded here:

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    I'm not sure. Some tracks sound worse for me, imo
    and yet..
    WHY DID THE DEVELOPERS INSERT A HECKIN' SITAR INTO THE BOSS THEME!?!? Seriously, it's looks so stupid...

17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I knew it! LBZ2 sounded ridiculous on SC-88VL. There is no way they intended it to sound like that. It sounds much more sensible now.

Using the intended MIDI hardware doesn't always equate better sounding music. Usually, but not always.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  18. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    The Roland Sound Canvas SC-88Pro was released in October of 1996 at least what Wikipedia sources point to. The file on my Sonic & Knuckles: Collection disc I've had for 20 years that is called "MIDIOUT.DLL" says it was last modified October 28, 1996. That be one hell of serious crunch time. There's 3 possibilities, a SC-88 only game, a SC-88Pro only game, or the real fun one a mix of both SC-88 and SC-88Pro.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    sup buds

[​IMG]

I'm looking for clarification of what "Sonic Team USA" was. The wiki has no references.

The story goes that Takashi Izuka took some people off to the states to produce Sonic Adventure International, then Sonic Adventure 2, so Yuji Naka could work on Phantasy Star Online.

Which would be great if Yuji Naka wasn't in this photo.

Do we absolutely know for sure SA1 or SA2 development occured in the States, or did they just go on holiday? My gut feeling is it's a bit extreme to move countries just to make some tweaks to the Japanese Sonic Adventure, but what do I know.

Sonic Heroes is said to have been developed stateside too. I've no reason to believe the internet is necessarily wrong, and I haven't spent much time looking this up, but when all the credits are Japanese, it's worth asking the question.

Context: pairing people up with development divisions on Sega Retro.

20. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Yes, it comes directly from interviews with Iizuka. Take this 2001 IGN interview, for instance:
    Iizuka and co. didn't move back to Japan until they were finished with the Rivals games and Nights: Journey of Dreams in '08.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List