The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Brainulator

Brainulator

Regular garden-variety member Member
    Here's where the decision to put it today was made: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Today's_featured_article/requests/Sonic_X-treme

So I guess we can thank Alex Field for getting this one queued.

2. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    I wanted to ask, are there any official releases or hacks of Sonic 1 in Wide-screen?

I know about mobile ports, but if I recall correctly, these are riddled with ads with no real way to buy the game separately?

3. _Sidle

_Sidle

Ads can be removed via paying a small fee (about what it originally costed iirc). If you can find an old version from before the free SEGA Forever update (before 2017), those do not have ads.
    The decompilations (while incomplete, with some sprite/palette bugs and being prone to crashing from my experience) also don't run ads, even when used with more recent builds (which you can download here).

There's also the patched ROM and specific Emulator combo that did rounds awhile back. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Thanks, You were right - the mobile version indeed has the option to buy it and remove ads - after installation, and it's not expensive, just bought it :)

5. So apparently Sega themselves requested Roger make Sonic sound older? Puts things into perspective...

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  6. Tanks

Tanks

Anyone know the background behind these Sonic 2 Championship coins from '93? I just flipped this on ebay, but these appear to be pretty common in Japan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Brazil
    I don't know if this has anything to do with, but it's the same year.
    [​IMG]

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

furthermore known as the JAMs Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    wiki wild wild west
    Afternoon,

[​IMG]
    I dun found me some new old Sonic 2 8-bit prototype screenshots. Of Sky High Zone.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c905435541

From the Japanese 1992 Sega summer catalogue, which we need scans of. As we do of most catalogues.

I'm not going to lie though:

[​IMG]

This fascinates me more. It's some super early World of Illusion mock-ups, and I can't tell if they're in-game graphics or hand-drawn.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Brazil
  10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Brazil
    upload_2021-9-16_14-27-40.png

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

furthermore known as the JAMs Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    wiki wild wild west
    Our coverage of Sonic X-treme has annoyed me for years because it's interspersed with source code modifications and political guff. I think I've tried to make it easier to follow in the past, but ehhh.

But I'm on an "emulate small Saturn things" streak at the moment so:

[​IMG]
    Sonic X-treme (V40 prototype)

[​IMG]
    Sonic X-treme (prototype; 1996-07-14)

Pages for the two Saturn prototypes we weren't covering. It might be more digestible now... or less digestible, since I've no plans to touch the PC builds.

I've been considering setting up a Windows 95/98 virtual machine for years to tackle all the old Sega PC things (without messing up real PCs) but I... sort-of don't want to? Like, I want someone else to step in and be "that guy" before I spend ours tripping up on old graphics APIs or something.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List