don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    One thing I noticed while playing Knuckles Chaotix yesterday. It seems like you can only roll facing right. If you roll left you'll start off facing left but then face right.

2. Bozo

Bozo

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAJGMXvbKfg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAJGMXvbKfg</a>

This completely confuses me, and I honestly have no clue whatsoever on why/how it happened.

My best guess would be leftovers?

3. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    <!--quoteo(post=385790:date=Dec 16 2009, 07:58 PM:name=Bozo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bozo @ Dec 16 2009, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=385790">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAJGMXvbKfg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAJGMXvbKfg</a>

This completely confuses me, and I honestly have no clue whatsoever on why/how it happened.

My best guess would be leftovers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Was that the Sonic CD jump sound I keep hearing in that video?

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Someone's probably using the "improved" PSG tones Gens offers -- turns them from square waves to sines.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

Is actually a guy. Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Hacking Sonic Drift, Writer at Sonic Cage Dome
    Apparently, the spike behavior in Sonic 1 has been "fixed" in the ROM that's on Sonic Mega Collection Plus. I was playing it, and messed around with Debug mode and surprisingly, I landed on some spikes without any rings, and decided to jump on them again after Sonic lost all his rings, and he didn't die. Of course you can't die in Debug mode that way, so I tried it without Debug mode activated and was surprised. Was there any revisions of S1 that even fixed this besides the versions that were on compilations?

6. <!--quoteo(post=387340:date=Dec 21 2009, 08:45 AM:name=Ravenfreak)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ravenfreak @ Dec 21 2009, 08:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=387340">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Apparently, the spike behavior in Sonic 1 has been "fixed" in the ROM that's on Sonic Mega Collection Plus. I was playing it, and messed around with Debug mode and surprisingly, I landed on some spikes without any rings, and decided to jump on them again after Sonic lost all his rings, and he didn't die. Of course you can't die in Debug mode that way, so I tried it without Debug mode activated and was surprised. Was there any revisions of S1 that even fixed this besides the versions that were on compilations?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The default revision in SMC+ is one that fixes a few bugs. There are a couple of cheat codes to play the original revision, as well as the final Japanese revision. Let me Google that for you.
    EDIT: "The default version of Sonic 1 is Japanese Version 1. To play the U.S. Version, press UP, Z, DOWN, Z, LEFT, Z, RIGHT, Z on the Sonic 1 info screen. To play Japanese Version 2 (with bug fixes), press Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, Z, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT on the Sonic 1 info screen."
    Try replacing Z with R1 or R2 for PS2 (or possibly one of the Ls) and whatever shoulder button for the Xbox. God knows about the PC.
    I've just noticed these codes aren't on the wiki. Should they be?

7. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=385790:date=Dec 17 2009, 01:58 AM:name=Bozo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bozo @ Dec 17 2009, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=385790">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAJGMXvbKfg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAJGMXvbKfg</a>

More importantly than the jump sound, can you provide a GMV that causes this?

8. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    <!--quoteo(post=387580:date=Dec 21 2009, 05:16 PM:name=Hayate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hayate @ Dec 21 2009, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=387580">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=385790:date=Dec 17 2009, 01:58 AM:name=Bozo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bozo @ Dec 17 2009, 01:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=385790">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAJGMXvbKfg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAJGMXvbKfg</a>

More importantly than the jump sound, can you provide a GMV that causes this?
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Haha, that's actually part of a trick we've been using to time attack that level on TSC for quite a while now. I don't have a GMV offhand, but <a href="http://www.soniccenter.org/videos/sonic_3/embed%7Cfile:w3BSQGBMn98" target="_blank">here</a>'s a vid by eredani that shows the same effect in S3&K that you can imitate (we banned the S3 alone version that Bozo's video shows since you don't move to the next level). If you can't spindash up the slopes, you can spindash from the platform visible just before the zip and use that momentum to get up the hill and over the wall. From there, press right to zip left. When you hit the left boundary of the level, you'll wrap around to the right, and in S3 alone you'll get what Bozo vidded. In S3&K, you'll die from touching the screen bottom if you don't move, but a bit of jumping around will bring you high enough to land in Knuckles' boss arena.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I get the whole wall ejection thing, but I am wondering what's up with that score tally. Especially the bit with the continue.

10. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    This was mentioned a loooooooooooong time a go, but I want to mention it again because I need help looking for the episode in question.

In the Yuji Naka episode of G4TV's Icons, they had a quick viewing of a Digitizer in action working on the victory pose that Sonic does after finishing the final boss and running around in Green Hill Zone, etc. I seriously CANNOT find this episode, and I know LocalH had a recording + screencaps of what I'm talking about. But the server he had them on is dead, :(.

Does anyone have this episode and wouldn't mind reuploading?

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Random facts:

- In Sonic Jam's Sonic World, when the checkpoints flash (both the blue and red ones), if you get the camera close enough the ball on top, you can see there's a silhouette of a Chaos Emerald in it.

- Sonic R's Sonic model is a less updated version of the Sonic Jam model. The way I've noticed this is that the Jam model has actual hands on it rather than odd flat rhombuses, and the animation is much better than in R. I assume (RUMOR ALERT) that maybe Sonic Team Japan gave Traveller's Tales an early version of the model whenever they started work on Sonic R, and fixed it up some whenever they made Sonic World, including the hands and animations? It would make good sense because also notice that in TT's Saturn port of Sonic 3D Blast, the model in the Special Stage is the better one from Jam, because of the notable improvements. Yet, those special stages were supposed made by Sonic Team Japan.

- In beta videos of SA1, you could see Sonic's jumping animation had the same "blue ball with rotating white streak" animation as Sonic's jumping from the Jam model. This is probably another link to how SA1 was built off Sonic Jam.

- There was a random disk set made public domain for the Amiga created by Dual Crew & Shining called "Sonic Attack", which featured a ton of music on multiple musicdisks, along with 100% custom graphics made to look like Sonic 1 but a little different and with a Sonic that has a little more animations than usual. However according to reviews the music was pretty crappy, the Green Hill replica was flat, and Sonic had some shades and was doing a very odd dance.

12. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

I didn't read through the ENTIRE topic already, so this may have already been posted.

First, I screwed up Sonic 3 & Knuckles by placing exactly 19 "S" monitors and rolling into them, and then placing and rolling over 2 more. This glitch is already well-known, but I did it in a somewhat different fashion. I was playing as Sonic in the Mushroom Hill Zone, and it seems once Sonic's ring count went over 999, the game jumped him to where he would start in the normal Sonic & Knuckles. Sonic was able to move, and the screen didn't go crazy like it would normally. Anyway, when I pressed Start & A, the game reset to Sonic & Knuckles. I pressed A+Start and entered the Sound Test menu. I was interested that all of the music from Sonic 3 used in Sonic 3 & Knuckles was still in tact. So I wondered if getting to the Sonic 3 levels was still possible. At first, when I had picked one, it redirected me to Mushroom Hill, but when I used the PAR code FFFE10:(the level's respective value), then I could access Sonic 3! This can't be done in the normal Sonic & Knuckles because Sonic 3 data is inactive, and entering one of the levels with the code enabled will reset the game. Anyway, when I entered the Sonic 3 levels, the game played almost exactly as if the two games were locked-on, but with a few differences:<ul><li>The level title cards read "SONIC & KNUCKLES".</li><li>Mushroom Hill Zone music will play on act 2 of whatever level you first picked since the game is supposed to take you to Mushroom Hill.</li><li>Sonic/Knuckles can only ascend to their Super forms. (If you screw up the game screen instead of doing the trick like I did, then you won't be able to transform at all.)</li><li>The S&K special stages play rather than the Sonic 3 ones.</li><li>The Sonic 3 bonus stage is not accessible.</li><li>Mushroom Hill does not have the special introduction for Sonic, and I believe Knuckles' intro from S&K will play instead of the Sonic 3K one.</li><li>The data select and 2P VS menus cannot be accessed for obvious reasons.</li></ul>I had also once modified the PC version of Sonic 3 to restore the S&K levels, by replacing all of the "55 55 55 55" values in the Sound Test menu with their proper values (Flying Battery - 00 04 01 04; Mushroom Hill - 00 07 01 07; Sandopolis - 00 08 01 08) and then I could play through the Sonic & Knuckles levels. This plays almost as if it was S&K, but it has its fair share of differences as well:<ul><li>The level title cards read "SONIC 3".</li><li>Unlike S&K, Sonic/Tails & Knuckles do have their special introductions implemented.</li><li>Sonic/Knuckles can only become Super, though you can still go to Hidden Palace if you have no Chaos Emeralds.</li><li>When you get all 7 Chaos Emeralds, the Super Rings will be worth 50 rings.</li><li>The music different between Sonic 3 & S&K will use the Sonic 3 versions (getting a 1-UP, becoming invincible, and Knuckles' theme will be changed).</li><li>You cannot access S&K's bonus stages.</li><li>If the game is cleared, the Sonic 3 & Knuckles logo is used instead of the Sonic 3 one.</li></ul>Yeah, just some things I thought were interesting.

Edit: Turns out you CAN enter Hyper in Sonic 3.
    Edit 2: OK, this is confusing. You guys know how in the Sonic 3 + protos, the only Super Ring is the one right where you start at in Mushroom Hill (while the rest are plain Special Rings)? Apparently, this is the same for Sonic 3 PC. So theoretically, you could collect the Super Emeralds in Sonic 3, but I am not 100% sure on this yet.
    Edit 3: You can, but after getting the first Super Emerald you must go to "SPECIAL STAGE 2" on the Sound Test menu to continue the process.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    You can still reverse gravity in Sonic & Knuckles Collection's Sonic 3 mode by pressing A with debug active or setting the flag yourself. This is not possible in plain Sonic 3.

14. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

<!--quoteo(post=389414:date=Dec 27 2009, 05:52 PM:name=MainMemory)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MainMemory @ Dec 27 2009, 05:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=389414">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You can still reverse gravity in Sonic & Knuckles Collection's Sonic 3 mode by pressing A with debug active or setting the flag yourself. This is not possible in plain Sonic 3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which reminds me, you can also get Hyper Sonic/Super Tails (not the screwy one) in debug mode in Sonic 3 as well via "S" monitor.

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    <!--quoteo(post=375153:date=Nov 18 2009, 10:43 PM:name=Overlord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Overlord @ Nov 18 2009, 10:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=375153">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=374765:date=Nov 18 2009, 02:38 AM:name=TheGreen1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGreen1 @ Nov 18 2009, 02:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374765">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=374761:date=Nov 17 2009, 09:30 PM:name=Hendricks 266)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hendricks 266 @ Nov 17 2009, 09:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=374761">[​IMG]</a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doomsday cannot come immediately after the "final boss" because Robotnik drops the Master Emerald and suddenly it's in his ship again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Don't bother using Logic in the early Sonic Games. It doesn't work.

You want an Example?

Sonic 2, Death Egg. After beating the crappy Silver Sonic, Sonic tries to chase after Robotnik.

Now, considering that Sonic moves at over 200MPH, and that Robotnik is rather fat and out of shape.

How the HELL does Robotnik outrun Sonic?
    I love taking the opportunity to paste this copypasta, I really do. XD

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How does he outrun Sonic? That's easy. It's fear. Picture this:

You're an industrialist, trying to modernize a backward planet and raise up standards of living through the use of technology, for the common good. One day, some of your industrial robots are blown up by a sentient, supersonic blue hedgehog. That's scary as fuck. Now, said hedgehog has it in his head that you're a monster who's turning animals into robots and wants to take over the world and oppress it, in large part because of all the steroids, speed, colloidal silver, and other assorted shit he's been taking in massive quantities for the past decade. You decide to see if you can't reason with the guy, but for your troubles you get assaulted, and your ride gets trashed beyond recognition.

So you decide to deal with this like you would with any other pest problems: You put out some traps, like spike pits, modify a couple of your robots with .22 rifles, etc. The way you'd deal with any rodent, really. Soon enough, the hedgehog gets himself impaled, and you're done. Or so you think. Soon after, despite having quite clearly been drained of his precious bodily fluids, he's back and trashing your robots again. Maybe the other one was some sort of decoy? No matter, you're taking this into your own hands. You modify your ride, mad max style, adding a couple of guns, some spikes, missile, slowly swinging giant balls, that kind of stuff. Then you roll. You meet the hedgehog and after a brief struggle where he manages to make one or two lucky hits on spots you haven't really bothered armoring, you make him into thin gruel. This time you're sure he's done for.

How wrong you are. Soon after, he's back. You can't believe it. You try to kill him yourself once more, but this time he seems to know where to strike. He seems to know when to strike. He seems to know when you'll strike. Once you realize that, you try to change your attack patterns, but it's too late, he's done enough damage to blow up your vehicle, and you barely escape with your life. For the next few days, he follows you, destroying everything you throw at him, and it's obvious he won't stop until he gets you. You can't sleep. You watch as he destroys everything you've done to help people: one after another, chemical plants, oil refineries, amusement parks, all you've built, gets blown up by this satanic, unholy, immortal demon from the deepest pits of hell. When you do manage to take him out, he's back within hours.

Eventually, as you're trying to escape to the one place where you think you're safe, space, he defeats one of your latest creation, and for the first time, you're face to face with him. There's no steel plate protecting you. There's no vertical distance. He's there, staring at you with those empty, demonic eyes.

You run like you've never run before. You just fucking run.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That just made my day. xD
    Thank you very much. =P

16. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I don't really want to start a topic about this until the screenshots get leaked, but someone who has access to PartnerNet has told me that Sega put up some screenshots (maybe even something playable, not sure) of the Sonic Adventure (DX) port to XBLA today. But only available to people with debug 360s and the like.

There's usually never confirmation of things being on PartnerNet until someone's brave enough to risk getting their account banned to tell someone about it. Someone has leaked screenshots of the Sonic 3/Gunstar Heroes XBLA games a few months before release and someone even released videos of Banjo Kazooie XBLA running as well (but the videos were taken down, but they were legit).

You have my word on this one, even though it doesn't amount to much. Just watch and wait for something to leak out. :)

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh cool an SA port to the 360. Any significant changes we can expect this time around?

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Berkshire, England
    Long-term happiness
    At a guess, I'd say no. Achievements should be about it.

19. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    This is still good because if Dreamcast games are coming to XBLA, then one day they may port Jet Set Radio and Shenmue too.

I just wonder if it will be a port of the original version, or of the DX edition.

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I hope that it's the original or (better yet) a different updated version. Maybe one that actually would fix something this time, instead of adding extra "fun" missions, Game Gear titles, dodgy fps, and "new" models?