Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.
Well... that's sad ... May his soul rest in peace...
Not a gaffe at all. Jap is used worldwide as an abbreviation for Japanese (jap. version), it's only a slur when used to refer to people directly, (The jap bloke / The japs live across the street.) which does sound offensive but is clearly not the case.
I'm not very sure of that "worldwide".
I have experience enough to know it's used in portuguese, latin spanish, french, german and dutch. That already makes it worldwide.
Let's not be pedantic about the definition of 'worldwide' here.
RE: The actual video. Love these guys' stuff. As mentioned previously there are some errors (makes me wish Youtube annotations were still a thing), but the production value more than makes up for it IMO. Plus it's about Sonic CD, so I have to like it.
The ISO 3166 codes are JP (Alpha-2) and JPN (Alpha-3).
Yet, on page 6 of ISO 10603...
Can we stop discussing this entirely pointless and stupid topic, please?
Have you ever wondered what the telephones look like in Sega Europe?
Well today is your lucky day!
I found this completely by accident, but you know how Sega supports Special Effect, the charity that makes accessible controllers for people who have disabilities so they can play games? Well it seems that in 2017 Sega Europe invited a family who Special Effect had helped to their offices and... Oh boy... They didn't have many restrictions on what they could and couldn't take photos of! There's a whole article filled with pics of Sega Europe that we don't normally get to see, nothing earth shattering, but lots of murals and some older room layouts. Including one full of Boom merch.
Yet another "peach muzzle Tails" has just been sold for $400:
I really doubt it's just a coincidence that they always did that by accident, in early artwork/merchandise.
SXSW has been cancelled. i wonder what this means for the announcements they had intended to make on the Sonic panel?
Thank you coronavirus, as if you didn't ruin enough things already. Hopefully we'll get the announcements at a similar time, or maybe even earlier?
I mentioned before that the Sonic statue at SEGA's Joypolis indoor amusement park/arcade actually speaks when the button on the base that he stands upon is pressed. Well, not long back I found a Japanese source that lists quite a few but not all of the quotes that the statue can say. I took the liberty of translating some of the lines documented;
- “I have seen many people come here but you are a bit strange”
- “Hello everybody! It’s nice to see you! Do you want to take a picture together?”
- “Hey guys! Thanks for coming!”
- “Hey guys! Welcome to Tokyo Joypolis!”
- “Hekkushi!” (Sneezing. Note that Joypolis' official Twitter account claims that Sonic has hay fever)
- “Be careful if you touch my spines because they hurt!”
- “Now it’s the rainy season. On rainy days, I am quiet and will read books such as the Arabian Nights and King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table…and so on!” - Lol Storybook Series references!
- “Have you tried Dippin’ Dots Ice Cream yet? It’s colorful, lumpy and delicious!”
- “Wow…everybody is energetic?”
- “I wonder if you know how many games I’ve been in? Actually, I have over 50 titles”
- “There are lots of great attractions here. Please enjoy them everyone!”
- “Hello! I’m Sonic! Happy to meet you!”
- “In Sonic 4 Episode II that can also be played on smartphones, I also adventure with my buddy Tails that I can depend on. you can co-operate with two friends together, so please try playing it!”
- “Have you seen events on stage? I do a lot of events at Joypolis so please check it out!”
- “ If you want to know more about me, please look into the website SONIC CHANNEL. There are introductions of my friends, information on games and merchandise and so on”
- “If you want to take a break, I recommend D-Lounge. You can enjoy light meals and drinks there. You can get my favorite food Chili Dogs from there”
- “Everyone. You think I stand here all the time? I actually go to many places during the moments when nobody is watching. I’m a supersonic Hedgehog! I just delivered a wallet that was dropped.”
- “I’m Sonic! Sonic the Hedgehog! I run and fly and bounce all around the world! Then I’ll beat the bad guy! Adventure-loving blue Hedgehog! Goodbye!”
- I’m saying it myself, but this is a life-size “Sonic the Hedgehog”? Am I bigger than you thought? Or smaller?”
- “Do not stare at me like that ~ I’m a little embarassed by it.”
- “Wow!! He..Hello! Sorry! Sorry! Were you surprised?”
- “I’m Sonic! Sonic the Hedgehog! My favorite food is chili dogs! What? You don’t know what they are? If you find one, try it.”
- “Hey is that a red button under there? It’s OK to push it, right?”
- “Have you tried the “UFO Catcher challenge?” The moment I get a cool freebie with my own skill is unbearable! Come on, have a try. The Joypolis staff seem to be cooperative.”
- “The speed at which I run is the speed of sound. I can run even faster if I get serious. By the way, do you know how fast the speed of sound is? I can go around Odaiba whilst speaking a little!”
- “Have you been on the thrilling “Half-Pipe Tokyo”? The BGM is cool. Can it use songs from my games?”
I must say, the effort SEGA went to with this statue is pretty cool. These lines are entirely unique to it and recorded by Jun'ichi Kanemaru of course.
Strange = ookashi or Strange = hen? the former has a more positive connotation (was taught to me as "strange (funny)") than the latter, which has a subtext of the subject being a creep or weirdo.
The quote in question is "随分いろんな人をここで見てきたけど、あんたちょっと変わってるなぁ。". So "Hen" (変). The way I interpret it is that Sonic is bewildered.
I got a French copy of the Bonus edition of Sonic Forces on Thursday - the DLC code contained inside it says it expires on a date I forget offhand in July 2019. Well, I activated it today on PSN and it worked just fine, so apparently these dates are worthless?
It's always been that way as far as I can tell.
I just noticed that the first ever green Grounder wasn't featured in Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog, but in the "Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Mega Drive Koushiki Guide Book"... along with a purple one:
Notice anything familiar with those colors? They're the two different color sets available in the "enemy palette" of Sonic 1! (besides Sonic's own palette, that is)
So it's entirely possible that these badniks once used the regular Sonic 1 palettes, before it was decided that the sequel would optimize the badnik palette for each level.
Here's how they look like when exclusively using those colors:
(Note that these are just mockups, the final sprites have different color indexes)
now I have something Yasuhara that IS Sonic related this tweet shows a photo of someone holding concept art (which we probably already have). however, the new/cool bit is that yasuhara himself confirmed that the person in the photo is him.
That art was from extracted from Gems Collection, but I don't think it's any higher resolution.
Speaking of which:
This is one image within Gems Collection that differs from what is already on the wiki, yet isn't on the wiki. (GC version lacks the papyrus filter, among other stuff, seen here in Jam's.)
Separate names with a comma.