don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/1100219799722909696?s=19

Welp... the president of Brazil used Sonic 06 music in a Twitter ad...

Weird

2. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
  3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Here's a little something I had noticed recently, not quite sure why I hadn't noticed it before, I'm also assuming it wasn't mentioned here in this thread anywhere, I also did some searching on Google and have not found anyone who's remotely mentioned any of this, so here it goes.

Sonic 3's special stages, the Blue Spheres stages, the colours of the floor and the background represent the Zones in Sonic 3 (the original order), at least, that's what I'm seeing.

1. The first stage is a brown floor with blue sky, AIZ may have a lot of plants, but it certainly has its brown and is certainly blue skied initially.
    2. The second stage is a greenish pale floor with purple sky, HCZ has a greenish pale underwater FG and a purple background.
    3. The third stage is an orange and pale yellow floor with blue sky, MGZ has orange/pale yellow marble bricks and stone with blue skies.
    4. The fourth stage is a red and white floor with a black sky, CNZ is mostly white and red in the FG, and it's a night black sky.
    5. The fifth stage is a purple and orange floor with a darkish blue background, FBZ has the FG mostly orange and pale purple, with the inside being reasonably dark blue/purple.
    6. The sixth stage is a blue and light blue floor with a light blue sky, ICZ has blue, blue, and well... just blue, light blue sky, inside the caves are mostly blue and some light blue.
    7. The seventh stage is purple and yellow floor with a pale blue sky, LBZ has purple checkerboard flooring with pale yellow bricks/buildings.
    The shape and layout of these stages, some of them also represent the levels in a way too.

I did look at S&K stages, and they started to follow the same colour scheme in S&K, but sorta took a turn after the third level... I also thought about Sonic 2's special stages too, which also initially appeared to follow the colour order of the Zones but very quickly diverged, so I assume that was merely coincidence or they were unconsciously copying the colours they were seeing. Sonic 3 appears intentional though.

I normally live under a bush about these things, but like I said, I had a search and there appears to be no mention of this.

Thoughts?

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Yeah, I've heard that before. I can't remember where, but I've known it for many years.

5. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    https://s3unlocked.blogspot.com/2018/01/the-hidden-homage.html

But like MainMemory said, this isn't an original thought by any stretch -- I remember seeing such a comparison years ago.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yeah, this is something that's fairly well-known.

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It's been mentioned a few times, yeah. I think this is one of the earliest ones.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow I remember posting that observation. I can't believe that was over 11 years ago.

I've been a member here forever haha.

Also in response to the Sonic 2 Special Stages don't those just use the emerald colors as their theme?

9. Nexeno

Nexeno

Now that I read this, I feel really stupid and grateful at the same time. Stupid because I never noticed it. Grateful because I enjoy little details in games.

10. Pengi

Pengi

It's very interesting, and raises a bunch of questions.

1. Was the original plan for each Zone's Super Rings to lead to a Zone-specific Special Stage?

2. Sonic 3 was planned to have more than 7 Zones, so would there have been more than 7 Chaos Emeralds?

3. If this colour-coded Special Stage idea came after the decision to split the game in half, was Flying Battery Zone going to be in Sonic 3A?

4. If Flying Battery Zone was planned to be in Sonic 3A, then what would they have done to make Sonic 3B/Sonic & Knuckles more substantial?

EDIT: To clarify, we all know Flying Battery was supposed to precede IceCap back when Sonic 3 was conceived as one massive game, but were they still intending to keep it in "Sonic 3: Part One" and have a very very short "Sonic 3: Part Two"?

11. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Wow, no-wonder 2007, I didn't even have internet access back then! Thanks~

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Hey who wants a few seconds of Sonic R prototype footage you've probably already seen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J12t1wQ9aA

"Sega Saturn Digital Circus 97" (?? ????????97). Apparently this was a thing (as was a similar event in the previous year). I'm guessing Sonic R was playable.

13. Pengi

Pengi

http://info.sonicretro.org/File:CollectionItem_121.png

It's been noted here before that most of these brainstormed boss names are Nintendo console product codes and such.

I think VCCI might refer to the Voluntary Control Council for Interference by Information Technology Equipment. It doesn't exactly fit the theme, but it's an organisation the Japanese video game industry deals with, even today.

Still no clue what 811 or YOS could be referencing though.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    RE: Must pay attention to when Action Replay information was printed:

[​IMG]

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:SegaPro_UK_01.pdf&page=6

ork.

15. Pengi

Pengi

It was always odd that Mosqui had two different names in Japan. In Sonic CD it's ???? (Mosqui), whereas in Sonic & Tails 2 and Chaotix it's ??? (Kameka).

The reason? Whoever put together the Sonic & Tails 2 and Chaotix manuals took the placeholder name from Sonic CD's concept art, rather than the final name from Sonic CD's manual!

By the way, does anyone know what it says in parentheses after each enemy name? Next to ????? here for example.

16. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    It says ??, which probably means "provisional name" in this context.

17. Pengi

Pengi

Thanks for that!

Speaking of Sonic CD concept art, Aaron Webber showed off a few of Hoshino's sketches on the Sonic Youtube show last year. There are some pieces that I don't think are on the Wiki.

18. Powpuck

Powpuck

Here's a little something I came across when searcing* for the verb form of bean:

[​IMG]

I thought there might be more to Bean's name than just sounding similar to Bin, specifically that his habit of throwing bombs might relate to "beaning" used in sports vernacular. I was quickly sidetracked, however, by Merriam-Webster.com listing one use of the word relating to duck anatomy.

There's a proviso that not many other sources mention this. What's more, this seems to be oddly specific to ducks -- not even applicable to other waterfowl -- and Bean is a confirmed woodpecker.

*Using the Duckduckgo.com engine, natch

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So by actually reading Sega Saturn Magazine's coverage of Sonic R over the course of 1997...

I have identified five prototype builds of the game we don't have.

But you know what's weirder? I'm happy to go on record and say there are more prototype screenshots of this game than any other in the Sonic franchise. Traveller's Tales didn't release screenshots - they released playable builds... and so publications took their own. And there are hundreds of them.

For some reason Sonic Retro only has 13. Amazingly some of them came from the UK's Sega Saturn Magazine, which provided at least that many screenshots per month. And that's just one magazine - I reckon we could map out most of Resort Island if we wanted to.

So yeah, not quite sure why we don't like Sonic R. I mean, other than it being a glorified time trial that's far too short - surely less offensive than some games though!

20. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    You do understand that Bean was created by Japanese native speakers at AM2, right?