don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Wouldn't that be pretty useless until someone wrote actual code to implement the newly-available functionality? @.@

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    How long did it take for somebody to make a game for the SNES CD? A month?

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Isn't that what the Sega Virtua Processor is?

4. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Don't know if this is of any value, but came across some Sonic footage taken by an EGM cameraman from a gaming event in March of 1991 (Tokyo Toy Show? No idea).

http://youtu.be/7jcmx3trH0g

Footage of Sonic starts at 13:23. We get a good look at the "His Name is Sonic" hand-drawn emblem, but unfortunately we only get a severe off-camera angled shot of Marble Zone.

Another video released by this guy also has the only known footage of the scrapped Sphynx miniboss from MegaMan 4, so if anyone's interested, there's probably plenty of beta footage available for other early 90's titles hidden in his archives.

EDIT: I don't remember a spiked chandelier directly after the moving platforms that come in and out of the walls anywhere in Marble Zone. Beta layout?

DOUBLE EDIT: Yep, I just took a look and this is definitely beta layout footage. It seems to be MZ Act 1 in the area right before you get out of the underground portion. They just haven't added the chained anchor (or whatever it's called) that you can jump on, and in its place is a spike chandelier. Not a huge change, but one that definitely made MZ slightly less frustrating than it still is.

5. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Sorry for the double-post but the second video also includes some Sonic footage: Scrap Brain auto-demo and a costumed dancing Sonic. Starts at 5:28.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQWrAG5wdrE

EDIT: SBZ's layout is identical to the final version as far as I can see.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This is exactly how I expected "classic" EGM to be. A bunch of confused middle-aged men completely out of their depth.

I am relatively confident this is after March 1991. At one point you can see a bit the April 1991 edition of EGM on camera, which means we're talking April/May at the earliest. You could probably work out if any of those photos actually made it into the magazine if you were so inclined.

There's nothing in that second video to suggest it isn't the final version's demo on a loop. It's actually the Japanese revision with the scrolling Green Hill Zone clouds, so we may even be talking post-release here.

Always interesting though. Good to see EGM had their priorities straight by recording people taking photos, rather than... idk... games or something.

7. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Some kind of garbled scrolling or background animation in Lava Reef zone. This is from Sonic 3 alone, and it interestingly, does not match the final background at all. It only changes when you move around which probably means it is scrolling. Sorry about poor GIF quality.
    [​IMG]

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Another sales update bit. There's a site called The Magic Box that has a Platinum Videogame Chart for the US, listing games that sold over one million since 1995 (it was last updated in 2007). It has a handful of Sonic games listed there.

Sonic 3 (GEN) - 1.02M
    Sonic & Knuckles (GEN) - 1.24M
    Sonic Adventure (DC) - 1.27M
    Sonic Advance (GBA) - 1.21M
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (GC) - 1.44M
    Sonic Mega Collection (GC) - 1.38M
    Sonic Mega Collection (PS2) - 1.44M
    Sonic Heroes (PS2) - 1.08M

If we line these figures up with the existing sales data we do have...

Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles:
    1.02M in the US for S3 + 1.24M in the US for S&K = 2.26M in the US for S3 + S&K
    4M total - 2.26M in the US = 1.74M (Europe/Japan)

Sonic Adventure:
    2.5M total - 1.27M in the US = 1.23M (Europe/Japan)

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle's 1.44M sales data seems to be the only available concrete sales data we have for Adventure 2's sales as a whole, regardless the DC original or the GC port.

Sonic Mega Collection's 1.38M sales (on the GC) is also the only the sales data we have specifically for the original GC-exclusive release. The Sega IR reports sales numbers all specifically refer to or add in sales of the Plus multiplatform release for the PS2 and Xbox. When added to the cumulative Sega IR sales we have for Mega Collection (Plus)'s sales across all platforms (3,080,300), this actually puts Mega Collection at a whopping 4,468,300 (and virtually all of the sales were within the US alone!).

Planning on adding these to the wiki over the next few days, but if you have any doubts / concerns about the sources, feel free to voice them.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, it looks like another Sonic game may be heading towards MAME:
    [​IMG]

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    How?

I've legit never seen an LCD game emulated.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Go download MAME then?

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I have a fun website for you then!

http://pica-pic.com/

I especially recommend the Zelda one.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    So is the Sonic game above just being remade for MAME then (i.e. not emulated)?

I was just feeling that if it was emulated we would have had LCD dumps during the first McDonald's wave when Heroes wad new.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Nope, they're emulated, because that's what MAME is all about!

[quote ]I was just feeling that if it was emulated we would have had LCD dumps during the first McDonald's wave when Heroes wad new.[/quote]If you send them to the MAME team they'll scan them, dump them and get them playable. Same with any LCD game or, well, any video game.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So over on Sega Retro, I've been generating lists:

http://segaretro.org/Category:Lists_of_games

as well as helping to identify missing things, as a side effect it shows patterns. One thing I've noticed is Nintendo's product code scheme - unlike Sega which used numbers to identify publishers and games, Nintendo's are more... "readable"

http://segaretro.org/List_of_Nintendo_GameCube_games_in_the_United_States

as an example, Super Monkey Ball (US) on the GameCube:

DOL-P-GMBE

DOL - is short for the GameCube's internal code name, "Dolphin" (yes Wii uses "RVL" for "Revolution")
    P - is... something
    G - is... also something
    MB - is a two character identifier for the game. In this case MB = Monkey Ball.
    E - I think is region. US games usually get E.

it's clever because in many cases you can almost work out the game from the product code alone. Examples:

DOL-P-GCTE - Crazy Taxi
    DOL-P-GFZE - F-Zero GX
    DOL-P-GEAE - Skies of Arcadia Legends, known as Eternal Arcadia Legends in Japan

this doesn't always work - for later games in particular they seem to opt for almost random letters presumably as other codes were taken, but you can't help but wonder

DOL-P-GXEE

Sonic Riders here was called "Sonic Extreme" in a former life - a clue??

Unfortunately the only Sonic prototype name I can think that circulated in recent years is Sonic Wildfire, later known as Sonic and the Secret Rings. Sadly the product code is "RVL-P-RSRE".

Still, I thought this was neat.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Old CNN report of pre-launch US Dreamcast:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SqocFElidKI
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SqocFElidKI

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    That's basically it, but it can be expanded a bit.

• P = physical game
    • N = download game
    • M = DLC
    • U = update
    • T = demo version
    P's the only one seen on GameCube due to obvious limitations. The others are seen on 3DS and I think Wii U as well. (Possibly Wii and Switch.)

For the game ID: On GameCube and Wii, the first character refers to the type of game.
    • G = GameCube
    • R = Wii (Revolution)
    • S = Wii (too many titles)
    • D = Demo
    • P = Promotional (e.g. Zelda Collector's Edition)
    • U = Utility (Game Boy Player)
    • H = Wii system title, e.g. Mii Channel
    • Other = various, including Virtual Console titles
    N64 used 'N'. Most other Nintendo systems started with 'A' for this character and incremented sequentially. Nintendo DS used a few other characters depending on extra functionality, e.g. 'D' for DSi-exclusive titles, 'V' for DSi-enhanced, and 'I' for infrared.

The last character is region:
    • A = All regions (common for Wii system titles; technically present for some 3DS cartridge and download games, but not usable in practice)
    • E = USA (for "English"?)
    • P = Europe (for "PAL"?)
    • J = Japan
    • T = Taiwan
    • K = Korea
    • Other = various other countries
    • X, Y, Z = special titles that don't necessarily correspond to region codes
    Note that the game ID isn't actually used for region code enforcement. That's handled in other sections, e.g. bi2.bin for GameCube.

The two-character game ID was generally based on the game's name, though it didn't always correspond, especially later on when most of the title IDs were used. While the identifier is usually the same across all regions, there's some exceptions, e.g. GSBJ for the Japanese release of SA2:Battle, and GSNE/GSNP for other releases. Nintendo Switch seems to have thrown out all attempts to use the game's name as part of the title ID. (Breath of the Wild is LA-H-AAAAA-USA; 1-2 Switch is LA-H-AACCA-USA. Also note the use of the 'A' region code in the now 5-character game ID.)

18. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf

From Spain with love... And rings. Member
    www.sonicreikai.com
    The Cutting Room Floor has found some unknown sprites for Tails from Sonic Crackers... Inside a proto of Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen.

[​IMG]

More in their site: https://tcrf.net/Proto:Yuu_Yuu_Hakusho:_Makyou_Toitsusen

19. Linkabel

Linkabel

Oh man I wish we could have a better quality to see some of that Sonic art shown at 1:06.

20. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.

When did they find this? does it only contain sprite data for Tails? damn I want to know more.

This is why I don't like this topic sometimes, valuable and worthy of discussion stuff like new Crackers data of all things gets shoved off into a dark corner of this site and never really gets talked about or even known about because nobody wants to check a 332+ page topic!

If I had any say I'd close this thread, let the wiki people add all the information so far, and start a new thread.