don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I've always wondered why you get a level select save when you connect Sonic 3 with Knuckles, could be just the PAL versions of the games, but I've had two copies and they both do that.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    With the US versions I've played of Sonic 3 they seem to give you a started one with Knuckles and one with Sonic and Tails at Hydrocity with 2 emeralds.

3. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I think there are some other saves that come with it but I just thought I might as well point out the Level Select one since it is more significant. :P

4. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Sonic Heroes: definitely a glitch.

Sonic 3: remember that whatever you do with the level select gets saved in the current saveslot =P

5. Flygon

Flygon

I don't know if it is my eyes playing tricks on me or something but the video should explain it.
    You will need that Kega video codec installed, I used it so the stars could be seen properly
    Basically, if you walk left the stars scroll really fast (Faster than normal) but if you walk right, they do not scroll at all. However I am suspecting my eyes are playing tricks on me so uh, yeah, thats why I am supplying a video.

Edit: Upon closer inspection it just seems to mainly be the + shaped star, still, it just looked odd to me for it to not scroll.
    Edit 2: Never mind, it seems to be all the stars. I just asked Tweaker why this happens and it turns out that the camera is moving at the same speed as the background scrolling. So it appears to make the background stop scrolling. Please disregard this post peoples.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Alright, so I've bust a few minds with this in IRC recently: Supporting Me (Biolizard's Theme) from SA2 is pretty awesome, I reckon. BUT, listen to 0:53 for the strings playing the main lick of Live and Learn, the theme.

Notice? :)

7. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Yeah, I noticed that a few years back.

It has that same riff from Live and Learn, I always thought that was awesome.

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    On December 25, 2008 (yeah, I can say Christmas), I was playing Sonic 2 REV02 in Generator on Mac OS X Leopard. I had just beaten Oil Ocean Zone when I did something, and wound up with this:
    [​IMG]
    Sonic is afraid he will fall backwards. This is an image I've seen quite a few times in Sonic CD, and I've been able to get that to come up at will. For Sonic 2, it came all of a sudden and I don't know how it was triggered.

Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    This was triggered by being on a ledge and facing inward. Facing outward there are two animations, one gently swaying on one leg, and another wildly flailing both arms.

10. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    I know that, but how can I trigger the inward animation in Sonic 2? In Sonic CD I can do it at will, but the screenshot above is the ONLY time I EVER triggered it in Sonic 2.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Sonic 2 has two varying degrees of balancing animations—one when you're only moderately on the edge of something, and one when you're entirely on the edge of a surface. The moderate animation has both directions available—forwards and the one you triggered—but the on-edge animation only has one direction. You've likely triggered the on-edge animation every time you played before, so you never noticed the moderate one.

If you use precise movement, then you'll be able to trigger the moderate animation a bit more easily. Once you do, just look in the opposite direction and you should be able to trigger it.

12. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I know this is more widely known, but, there was more downloadable content released for the Japanese version of Sonic Adventure that never was released on the American website when it was still up (I know someone backed some parts of the website up somewhere, but it doesn't back up the ranking pages) - but some of it was being planned thanks to this. The cool thing about the video, is that it shows what it was like back then. It even shows the webpage you could find the hedgehog search minigame if it was released, along with many spelling/grammar mistakes. :v:

Here are pictures of some of the special events:

[​IMG]

Everytime you touch the trees, you get a different Christmas melody (none of the files are on the disc, so the music itself is not adx - it's some other format). So this is better than the other Christmas event in my opinion

[​IMG]

This is that hedgehog search minigame, which is pretty fun. I never found a translation of any of this.

There are more events out there, but they're either too lame or I have no idea how to get them to load in the game (I could do these because I downloaded them years a go when they came out on my actual Dreamcast - these images are from an emulator. Neat huh?). Some of these downloadable events are hard to find, so I can't easily find them again.

I'm interested in seeing screenshots of the Reebok event. So if you happen to find some, post. :)

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

There's a double ring in Angel Island Zone act 1. Look at these pictures:

[​IMG]
    I ran from the start of the stage, collecting only the rings there were directly in my path, up until here. I had a total of 14.

[​IMG]
    Then, I collected the rings in the row in front of me. One of the rings in that row is duplicated, and so you get 2 instead of just 1.

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    omfg that's true, I never knew that :o
    The duplicated ring is the middle one, I just tested this.

15. That double-ring is actually very interesting. I'd try it out, except loading Fusion just to do that probably isn't worth the effort. I'll take your word for it. Nice find, though.

16. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
  17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I made a video about it. And of course I gave full credit to Blue Blood.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNdl8neiCBo

18. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    This is a very minor thing I noticed in Unleashed (but it applies to other 3D Sonic games too). I'm sorry if it has been posted already.

All right, here it is. One of the things I like of the 3D Sonic games is that they reused some sound effects and jingles from the classic games. The ring sound, the spring sound, the Act Clear jingle (but not in Unleashed :-: ), the 1-up jingle... WAIT! The 1-up jingle seems different. And you know why? Because it is the Chaos Emerald jingle from the classic games, not the 1-up one. Yeah, it misses the final parts, but you can clearly hear it is that one. And as I said in the beginning, although I noticed this in Unleashed, the same thing should be said for the other 3D games.

I wonder if originally (in SA) it was supposed to play when you collected a Chaos Emerald (as it plays in the classic games), instead of being used for the 1-up.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Of all the topics it could go in, I figure this is best - found a pirate GB cart today, a 12-in-1 - and it contains Sonic 6:

[​IMG]
    (Uploaded it to the Wiki)

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Dunno if this has been posted already or not, but I just noticed that in the second part of the first Special Stage in Sonic 2, the distance between the last rings and the finish of that area are too near and so for two or three frames (can't exactly measure =P) you can see the rings blinking with a different palette.