don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Well shit the bed there's something I didn't know. I bow to your superior knowledge, sir!

2. Xilla

Xilla

I spotted the Gamesmaster Sonic 2 footage a while ago, didn't post in here though cos I assumed it was already known about. Oh well :v:
    Take a look at the first issue of Gamesmaster magazine, they gave Sonic 2 65% (or thereabouts), complete with an explanation from the editor as to why they didn't like it that much. Of course, the team that did the TV series was different so it got a higher rating. Gamesmaster is worth watching just for the dirty jokes Dominick Diamond would slip in.

At least it's not Sky One's old Gamezville crap. "YO DIS GAME IS WICKED I PLAYED IT WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT AND IT WAS RAD INNIT!" (20 year old presenter, playing Q*Bert or something).

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Once again, if it's not on the wiki, it's not common knowledge!

Even if it's on these forums, if it's not on the wiki, it's not common knowledge. Because the wiki is a repository of common knowledge. It is the very definition of common knowledge. Common knowledge, common knowledge. :eng101:

Here's an interesting fact - at Summer CES 1992 there was a private showing of Sonic the Hedgehog 2. From what I can gather, it was the Nick Arcade prototype (there's talk of it being a EHZ-only demo and "similar to the first game" (I.e. no Tails)).

So while we've been going around for x many years calling it the "Nick Arcade prototype", it might be more reasonable to call it "Summer CES 1992 prototype". CES being that thing that companies actually made prototypes for. Though I'm thinking they might have released this set of screenshots at around the same time so idk.

It's so much easier when you've got old magazines to look at.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Not sure if this is somewhere on here, but:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wSKWJgmb88
    (skip to 4:40 for relevance)

The Adventures of Quik and Silva, released May 1991.
    Sonic the Hedgehog (Mega Drive), released June 1991.

Europe were such big fans of the hedgehog, we had to get him before literally everyone else.

EDIT: whoop, forgot to include this: the bloke who brought it to attention.

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    On that subject:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles doesn't fix the spike bug in Ice Cap Zone. It's exactly the same spike bug from Sonic 1 - it doesn't check to see if Sonic is invulnerable before branching to the damage routine. The only thing S3K does differently from S3 is allowing Super Sonic to destroy them; the bug is still present when not Super.

In Sonic 1, going off the top of the screen while in a damaged state kills Sonic.

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    When people think of Sonics presence in theme parks, they usually think of Alton Towers or SEGA World. However, Sonic also had a presence at Walt Disney World, in EPCOTs Innoventions building. The wiki glances over some E3 1999 set pieces being sent to said building...
    [​IMG]
    ...but SEGA has had a much longer history inside Innoventions. When the place first opened, guests could treat themselves to many of SEGAs consoles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puxmDsEnY1Y#t=1m13s
    About 1:13 in. There's some concept art as well showing Sonic jumping over the indoor display, as well as some footage of their Formula machines.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Amusingly, Sonic is standing on (of all things) the Carnival Night barrel.

7. Vangar

Vangar

Is this true? Have I been playing Sonic 2 / 3 / Knuckles in slow motion my whole life? I thought only Sonic 1 had this problem!

8. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Yep. The Sonic engine is no Donkey Kong 64, sadly.

+ - Context: IIRC, Rare, being a PAL region-based company, felt compelled to speed up bits of DK64's gameplay when in PAL mode, so we don't get screwed over.  

9. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I went to Disney world in 2000 and I remember that big Sonic Adventure display being there, but didn't get around to taking a photo of it. The Dreamcast games section mainly had that game and Disney World Magical Racing Tour.

When I went in 1998 they still had that older Sonic 3 statue, but the Carnival night barrel has been made a shiny blue instead. The huge Virtua Formula/Racing set up was replaced by a equally large Daytona USA one.

Here's the photo we got from that trip.

[​IMG]

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Why did nobody know what Sonic looked like in 3D back then? I don't think SEGA themselves were too sure either.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What you mean this isn't an accurate depiction of Sonic in 3D?

[​IMG]

What lies.

12. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    He looks like a pinecone.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Since there were ref sheets for classic Sonic dating back to his very beginning with his spikes the way they are placed now..

I'd throw that out to Sega of America giving Sonic the shark-fin mohawk, and thinking that any back or front view of him was either just that single mohawk, or (to be more hedgehoggy) three rows of it. Both of which looked incredibly bad, of course.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Meanwhile, in Spain, we got Sonic's head right from the beginning.
    [​IMG]
    :P

Wasn't that in the SNES Donkey Kong Country games?

Unless there's some exceptions I'm not aware of, you've played every PAL Mega Drive game at a 17% slower speed than they should be running.

And this also applies to almost every pre-32 Bit European game that relied on a TV, minus very few exceptions (sometimes with wacky results, with Super Mario Bros 1 running too fast, and Shadow Warriors speeding up just the main character to the point of him being able to jump further than he should).

15. Vangar

Vangar

Oh man, this really sucks. I thought only Sonic 1 had the problem, I haven't even noticed it. I'm going to have to get an NTSC CRT with SCART now ...

16. Vangar

Vangar

Um, so someone posted this on Reddit. "Beta Sonic Rivals"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPD-923r3Yw

Looks more like a CGI video mock-up than actual gameplay.

17. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I swear I've seen that before, at least in screenshot form, but I can't remember where.

I'd be really interested to see concept stuff from before SEGA made Backbone change the game into a 2.5D racer.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Google turned up nothing in the first one or two results and I don't have the time nor energy to look properly, but yeah, you're definitely right in having seen this before. It first came to light a few years ago along with some other more simple footage.

19. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

It also uses a OverClocked Remix tune: Beatdrop - Catapult_OC_ReMix (Sonic_&_Knuckles)

20. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    TCRF lists it as a regional difference of DK64 and not the SNES games.