don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'm guessing the Flame Shield was the only functional shield in the prototype.

2. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    The old Hydrocity background looks so nice and lush. The final one looks nice too of course but this seems a bit less monotonous to me. Maybe just because it's something "new" to look at. Given the rate that Retro tends to work at I expect to see it recreated and functioning in a ROM by the time I get off work tomorrow, and offered as a patch option for Sonic 3 Complete by the end of the week. But first we have to argue about the palette for five pages, okay?

Anyway, I come bearing gifts. I remember bringing this up forever ago but never got around to taking a picture of it, and I don't think anyone's mentioned it since...

[​IMG]

From the June '94 issue of Game Players. We were THIS CLOSE to having Sonic 4 made back when it was supposed to be made, by Shiny. On one hand, it could have been the black sheep of the classic franchise due to being too "weird" and Americanized. Doubtful that SOJ/Naka would have coughed up Sonic Team's engine. On the other hand, it probably would have been really cool and fun anyway.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I have a really weird request.

Years ago, someone made and narrated a video, which was a slow zoom in on Jun Senoue's face. The narration basically entailed Jun's struggle to compose Sonic 4 Episode 1's soundtrack. In the video, Jun eventually pleasured himself and his climax resulted in the Sonic 4 theme.

I'm pretty sure it was someone on this forum. I can't find the video now. Does anyone know how to find this? I wish I knew why I wanted to find this again but I mentioned it to a couple people and it seems like it's just me that remembers it. I think it's purely bothering me because maybe it was a production of my imagination or a Shark Week Sonic 4 fever dream

4. For what it's worth, I've seen that video, but to my memory the song in question was the Sonic 4 Episode 2 Special Stage theme.

5. GagaMan

GagaMan

Looks like I'm gonna have to get a better scanner, and lots of free time haha.

Here are the rest of the screenshots from the mini mag. The game was apparently 40-50% complete when this screens were taken.

[​IMG]

That last sentence implies that Sonic 3 and Knuckles were still the one game at this point maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"At the moment, the beginning of Ice Cap Zone takes the form of a mad rush down the side of the mountain."

My guess is they were told about the snowboarding that was going to be implemented but were not allowed to say about it.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    "The real terror begins at the end of the first act. The demise of Robotnik's boss sparks off an enormous inferno that engulfs the Angel Island, leaving behind the blazing horror of act two."

Explains why there's that music glitch in Sonic the Hedgehog 3 where the Act Two music plays in Act One, if it was suppose to transition at the end of the act instead of partway through.

7. GagaMan

GagaMan

Oh hey UK-ers, Yuji Naka is going to be on CBBC at 6pm. Talking about Sonic and game animation...with Dick and Dom. I shit you not.

https://twitter.com/dickndom/status/521962847350554624

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Looking at those S3 magazine shots...something I have always wondered is, since the game got kinda far before they updated Sonic's sprites, did they have new S2 styled sprites for all the various character rotations and such. I don't think any shots I've seen show any.

They had the whole surfboard animation in the S2 style, so maybe they had all of the S3 sprites done in the S2 style?

9. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    The physical level changes over at that point, for obvious visual reasons, even though the game is still using the Act 1 label because you haven't really had the score tally and signpost. The bug comes from the fact that the game uses the "physical act" variable in a lot of checks where it should use the "logical act" variable, including music selection when (re)entering a level. The same thing occurs at the last starpost before the Icecap 1 boss for exactly the same reason - you're already "physically" in act 2. (This is also why Icecap is the only place you can skip the midboss and move on with the game - all levels other than AIZ and ICZ change their physical layout somewhere during the post-boss scenes, often at the score tally, so if you escaped the screen lock, you'd just end up in scrollback from act 1).

One thing I do think is pretty interesting is that the brain damaged white HUD shadow in AIZ is present even as far back as these builds. Sometimes I even wonder if it was intentional. The Death Egg in the LBZ1 background, on the other hand, looks really over-green here, more so than I'd expect from the standard magazine print anomalies.

Is the weird, purple looking underwater CNZ picture from this minimag? Someone on YouTube recently demonstrated that applying the LBZ2 water palette to CNZ resulted in pretty much that colour scheme, which is really interesting... shame I don't have the link to hand! (Edit: here it is.)

The LBZ teacup lift shot should show the standing rotation, as should the barrel in the CNZ shot I mentioned above, but in the former case we seem to have normal walk sprites, and in the latter, Sonic is seen in his Sonic 2 wait pose. Based on this, and the lack of snowboarding, I suspect many of the sprites weren't produced until the new style Sonic was in place, but it seems likely that some unique S2-style poses would have existed, not just because of the surfboard, but also since the FBZ shimmy sprites kept their Sonic 2 look all the way into Sonic & Knuckles. Interesting to note that the new life icon is already present in all these shots.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    And it's aired: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04m0czv/appsolute-genius-with-dick-and-dom-2-animation

Anyone with a working iPlayer ripper, now is the time to get this... if you want to just watch it, starts at 6 minutes in.

EDIT:

[19:58:58] Overlord: >rollercoasters as an inspiration for Sonic
    [19:59:03] Overlord: >Also mentions pinball
    [19:59:14] Overlord: Specifically, pachinko
    [20:00:22] Overlord: Not really any new insights apart from that

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd also like to know if the rest of the Competition Mode graphics (other than the waiting animation) were based on Sonic 2 or 3. The graphics in the blurry pic seem to be the final ones, but those were a mix between the Sonic 2 pose and Sonic 3 shading, so it's not of much help...

My guess is that they were just waiting until the whole set was ready, but who knows.

12. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Dragon Team Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Are these Sonic mars storyboards already known?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found at an Unseen64 writer personal twitter

13. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Yeah, both of those are from the Michael Kosaka script.

14. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Dragon Team Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Oh, cool then. I don't remember seeing them before, gotta refresh my memories

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey guy, remember that prototype screenshot of an underwater section of Carnival Night with odd colors?
    [​IMG]

Guess what happens when you swap that level's palette with Launch Base's:

Source: Gible at The Cutting Room Floor.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    o_0

Woah what in the world?

And yet in some way that kinda works. I wonder what that was all about.

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
  18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    But Tiddles is linking to Gible's video. :P

I don't know how I missed that part of the post, anyway.

EDIT:
    In the final version, the water reflections of the far away vegetation are gray so, yeah, it seems that those shades may have been green once... for whatever reason (perhaps the Death Egg just wasn't featured in the Act 1 background, when it was created?)

19. Linkabel

Linkabel

So this might be a dumb and redundant question, but does each region version of Sonic Generations have a different "Happy Birthday Sonic!" at the end of the credits? I mean they record it at Sonic Boom, Summer of Sonic and that event they do in Japan, buy I don't think I've ever heard a version with different audio.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The one they used in the EU version at least is most definitely the SoS recording because you can hear a decidedly British accent to it, but I always assumed that the Japanese & US ones used their own language recording settings. Is the JP dub the English speech recording?

Also maybe the US one didn't turn out as well.