don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Knockoff Mega Drive tat is all over South America (I posted a link not too long ago about this) . I genuinely don't believe it can all be documented.

2. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Mm, pirate knockoffs... the though never occured me. Now we are getting somewhere. But, this store in particular where I saw this box is a reputable store that only sells genuine things (think of a Walmart of sorts). They were also selling Mega CDs (Sega CD for Model I Mega Drives) during that time. I think it would be unlikely of them to resell pirate knockoffs. Then again, we have this, therefore can't rule out the possibility entirely, especially in a time like that when they would sell Sonic 2 prototype copies at every corner on every lemonade stand! :specialed:

3. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    I did find this promotional thingy. While it doesn't match a great deal of your description, it does have a frozen Tails on flat ground, and an oddly angled CNZ special stage that could probably seem flat from a distance; might it be that elements of this were used in a pirate version, or promotional empty boxes, or something like that?

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    because I was on my phone at the time and didn't want to go digging:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5iptU-j8KI2y7AaSsoH4CA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=951&q=site:articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar%20mega%20drive#hl=en-GB&q=site:articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar+sega++cartucho&tbm=isch

ONE TWO THREE FOUR

it's a pirate there are tons.

5. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

Not very knowledgeable on Sonic 1 protos, what is known, are there any roms? Edit: I'm not actually asking where I can download a rom, just don't wan't to waste my time scanning mags if those sort of things are already widely available.

6. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    It might be worth you reading through the Wiki to see if any of the stuff you have is already there. If not, scan away!

A Sonic 1 proto is pretty much our "Holy Grail", no we do not have one, but we do have several members of our community who have made convincing hoaxes posing as the real thing in the past.

7. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I thought so, thanks for confirming. I really should have logged which magazine this was in, it will be a nightmare to find it again, but maybe it has already been scanned so I won't need to look for it. The article is from a British Sega magazine about "out-takes" ie content that never made it to the final game. One of the games is Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master, which was sent out for review and then completely overhauled before being sent back to magazines to be re-reviewed. Anyway, what would probably interest people here more is the stuff they cut from Sonic 1, there's a picture of Robotnik's ball in the playable area like here, but a different screen shot. Hopefully that's enough info for any experts to recall if that article has already been scanned. If not I'll try to find it over the weekend.

8. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I had a brainwave and remembered the magazine, "Sega Magazine" issue 7, unfortunately my memory on the screenshot was wrong, and it's the same one, so this has probably already been scanned, anyway;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think we already had those screenshots but out of context. It's nice having the full articles or even magazines scanned when possible, so thanks!

I still don't understand why all the 7 Up logos were removed in Europe, but whatever. =P

10. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    That... shockingly fits my description to a certain extent! I'm quite surprised. Though I don't remember seeing Robotnik in the Ice Cap's screenshot. Then again, how could I possibly remember something that hapenned so long ago? :v But one thing that I'm certain of, is that Sonic's gloves were red, like boxing gloves. While I can't say anything about the authenticity of the Sonic 3 box, I can say that I'm confident that the Sonic & Knuckles box was indeed official, as when I used to rent Sonic & Knuckles when I was a kid, it came in the exact same cardboard box, with the same art. But, other than the fact that it was just like the Japanese cover, it didn't have anything of interest (like this ellusive Sonic 3 box did): it just featured the screenshot of Sonic and Tails in Mushroom Hill, Hidden Palace, and a screenshot of Knuckles climbing a skyscraper to get a 1up in Chemical Plant, plus a lot of boast about the lock-on technology and how you could play with Tails in Sonic & Knuckles and Knuckles in Sonic 2. Absolutely no mention about Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I though the only "extra" of locking the two together was the possibility of being able to play with Sonic AND Tails in Knuckles, so I never felt enticed to lock the two together. I only did so for the first time many, many years later! :v

And, talking about Sonic 3 & Knuckles, we all know about the double rings in Angel Island Zone Act 1, right? Turns out that they are present in other places as well. Now this is something I didn't know!

Boy, that double item box in Hidrocity... what is that? Hahaha! Never knew about it.

11. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  12. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
  13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Huh, that sucks. Wonder when that happened? I checked on archive.org and it was still there on April the 25th: https://web.archive.org/web/20140425105718/http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/

I have all the wallpapers saved from there except from 135 onwards (last one on that archive.org snapshot is 139, so at the latest there only would have been a 140) - I don't suppose anyone has the 1900x1200 ones for those?

14. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    No, but sonicthehedgehog.com has a whopping seven wallpapers in case you're missing those.

15. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

16. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    A quick Google translation of the page which comes up tells me they seem to be restructuring the pages? I think?

17. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Huh. Chrome gave me this translation:
    So I guess they were hacked into and are down 'til they fix the exploit? (Not 100% sure I phrased that right...)

18. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Not sure if I should post this in a new topic or not. I would've bumped the original thread, but it's locked.

Anyone remember drx's Sonic Spinball 1910 release? For anyone that doesn't, he released some of the eproms that go together with a potential prototype of Sonic Spinball, but pretty much half the eproms are missing to make a partial rom. Before the topic was closed, there were some efforts to identify which part the unidentified eprom belonged to. The unidentified eprom was easy to match. It's the fourth one. Luckily when compared with the other versions, they are all mostly different from one another. You can grab the combined two eproms plus the equivalents for the other versions of the game here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/489o7d7drquhdvp/spinball_eproms_3_and_4_compared.zip

Now unfortunately I know next to nothing about hacking this game, so I don't know the contents. All I know is that it probably consists of compressed data (background tiles?). Going by drx's old decompressor (SSC Decompressor), the offsets around this area in the (alt) rom are:

04fee4 - Stage 4 Foreground
    053214 - Stage 4 Background
    064bb6 - Stage 2 Foreground
    067672 - Stage 2 Background
    07da22 - Messages font
    07f29c - Stage 3 Foreground

Obviously the locations of everything would be different here, but they should give you an idea of what might be in the combined data.

Anyone feel up to looking at to see what the data might be and how different it is from all the other versions? You can also get the other eprom dumps for 1910 here.

19. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I meant Duncan Gutteridge at the MCM Expo in London today. He illustrated a bunch of Sonic promo art that you probably recognize as well as the Streets of Rage 2 box art and an Ecco the Dolphin one (though not sure which one). I wrote up about the encounter here.

Btw I asked him if he still owned any of the originals, but apparently he gave them to his agency back in the day, which he really regrets.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You didn't ask him? :(